Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
EXILE dvd in the offing?
Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: February 24, 2010 18:35

I am doing a freelance job at the BBC today and managed to just miss seeing a dvd being dubbed called, wait for it 'Exile On Main Street cut 31 V2'!

My colleague did the job but didn't monitor it so couldn't tell me what was on it. I tried my luck and phoned the production person on the jobsheet & asked if I could borrow a copy to watch. She was very friendly and said all the copies were being picked up by courier shortly but that she would put aside a finished copy for me. Apparently an independent company is putting together various cuts of it to show Alan Yentob and he will decide whether or not to commission it, probably for BBC4. This is exciting and suggests either that it is the rumoured dvd that might accompany the Deluxe reissue in april/may or it is a separate documentary, perhaps to coincide with the release...

If I am lucky and this production woman is true to her word I should get an early copy in a few weeks and will report back with more info then.

Re: EXILE dvd in the offing?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 24, 2010 18:38

The BBC have signed a deal with Universal Music to distribute the label's TV content.

There's an article on it in today's Guardian, although here's the text that left shoe shuffle posted on Rocks Off earlier

[rocksoff.org]

Date: February 24, 2010 18:56

Thanks Gazza, I haven't seen the Guardian today. I'm looking forward to this making of Exile doc now, whether or not it will be included with the reissue. Shame I missed Cut 31 though, as there may be different material from the finished doc.

Date: February 24, 2010 19:39

I would be quite surprised if its NOT included in the reissue. Would seem a bit pointless from Universal's perspective to have a documentary put together at this point in time for this record and then not include it with a deluxe reissue thats been already delayed specifically so that bonus content can be included.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 24, 2010 19:48

So, now we know that the chance of any live material is very little. Thanks to both of you for the news!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 24, 2010 19:52

"So, now we know that the chance of any live material is very little."

That aint a 'moan' is it??

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 24, 2010 20:06

ablett
"So, now we know that the chance of any live material is very little."

That aint a 'moan' is it??

Just a little, couldn't help it!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 24, 2010 21:25

Yeah, I'm also sceptical toward a "making of Exile" docu if it's released in place of potential '72 live material. But then again, it's a lot more interesting than nothing, especially if they do a good job and involve Taylor and Wyman.

In any case, I appreciate all the news. Good luck in your research, Tseverin!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 24, 2010 21:45

Why not put out something TRULY worthwhile like a double Blu Ray of "Ladies & Gentlemen" and "C-Sucker Blues" in 7.1 sound with tons of bonus material...???

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 25, 2010 00:03

dewlover
Why not put out something TRULY worthwhile like a double Blu Ray of "Ladies & Gentlemen" and "C-Sucker Blues" in 7.1 sound with tons of bonus material...???
I think that had the ya yas reissue had a live MSG concert dvd, there would have been a good chance that the idea would have flowed on to the exile project- L&G.Dont think it will happen.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: February 25, 2010 00:27

The Exile on Mainstreet has NO DVD but at the time of release BBC 4 will broadcast a 40 minute documentary in the vein of Springsteen's making of Born To Run. Great insight in the recording with new interviews including MICK TAYLOR spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Exile will have 5 unreleased bonustracks and a special packaging. The DVD was only there in the mind of fans. Wishfull thinking of a definitive Ladies & Gentlemen

Date: February 25, 2010 03:32

Oh well, most of us have good quality @#$%& Blues & L&G already. A quality doc on the making of Exile with new ints from Mick, Keith & Mick T floats my boat (along with the unreleased ottakes) - what happened to the 11 tracks & the stories of Taylor ading new guitar btw?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 25, 2010 03:55

Still no one has answered my question, and no one owns the item as I described, it doesn't exist...That is something that would be thoroughly enjoyed by real Stones fans, and there is other footage from that period which has yet to be released, and almost no one has seen, and it would make for excellent bonus material, so again I ask, why??

Seeing the band sitting around discussing recording sessions they barely remember is nothing to get excited about...IMHO that is... confused smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 04:09

The producer told me there are eleven bonus tracks.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 25, 2010 06:37

Tseverin,

That must have been extremely exciting -- being so close yet so far. Can't wait to hear what happens next. Hope you get to see it, and report back everything to us. Thanks for your post!

- swiss

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 25, 2010 07:50

maybe that's all Taylor has done to this Exile project - commented on the making of Exile, rather than overdubbing old songs..?

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: February 25, 2010 08:45

I'd rather read what Jag's and Co have to say about recording Exile, not watch him say it. 'Talking heads' programs are ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 09:11

And here's the news!!!
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-26 00:53 by ajc68.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 25, 2010 11:00

susannewortmann
The Exile on Mainstreet has NO DVD but at the time of release BBC 4 will broadcast a 40 minute documentary in the vein of Springsteen's making of Born To Run. Great insight in the recording with new interviews including MICK TAYLOR spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Exile will have 5 unreleased bonustracks and a special packaging. The DVD was only there in the mind of fans. Wishfull thinking of a definitive Ladies & Gentlemen

Who told you that will be only 5 bonus tracks. Recent interview w/ Jagger suggets there were about 11 songs. Only five would be a bit dissapointing. Who told you that?

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: February 25, 2010 16:23

susannewortmann

After seeing some of the action involved with this project, I have reason to question the accuracy of your statement.
Looks like you'll have to take this comment back in a few months time...
The regular Exile reissue may not include a DVD (docu) but the special edition will come with a docu DVD.

Think you have the number of bonus tracks wrong also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-25 16:24 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 25, 2010 18:27

clearly susannewortmann is incorrect.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: February 27, 2010 03:51

5 bonus UNRELEASED tracks, 6 re-recordings, NO DVD. BUt today became clear in the press statement that a DVD IS included with a so called deluxe edition! This is a cut version of the BBC documentary that I talked about!

Date: February 27, 2010 04:16

Tseverin
Oh well, most of us have good quality @#$%& Blues & L&G already. A quality doc on the making of Exile with new ints from Mick, Keith & Mick T floats my boat (along with the unreleased ottakes) - what happened to the 11 tracks & the stories of Taylor ading new guitar btw?

It may be so that some dedicated RS fans have ok bootleg quality copies of these films, but I would all but guarantee that a lavish DVD/Blu-ray release of 1972 Tour footage would sell better than anything the Stones have released since 40 Licks. That would speak for the circulation rate and satisfaction levels of the bootleg copies.

Date: February 27, 2010 04:34

susannewortmann
6 re-recordings,

What do you mean by re-recordings? Touched up recordings aren't re-recordings ala the Kiss Klassics from Sonic Boom.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 27, 2010 15:37

Well, I mentioned already some months (!) ago in a different thread that the DVD will not be L&G or CS Bluesin in entirety. I also mentioned the Montreux Rehearsals stuff. It would not surprise me if the so-called "making of Exile" scenes are not from Nellcote, but from Montreux instead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 16:41 by alimente.

Date: February 27, 2010 16:50

I doubt it. The announcement clearly states that it's 'never-before-seen archival film'.

As the Montreux stuff is owned by the BBC - as it was they who filmed it and broadcast it on 'The Old Grey Whistle Test' in August 1972 - then its quite evidently NOT footage that anyone could claim to be 'never before seen'.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:38

i mentioned 75 years ago that there will be a band called the rolling stones and they will release an album called "exile on main street" and they will release a deluxe edition of it many years later. so, i win.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 27, 2010 20:14

bernardanderson
i mentioned 75 years ago that there will be a band called the rolling stones and they will release an album called "exile on main street" and they will release a deluxe edition of it many years later. so, i win.

You must be the epitome of Mr. Cool then.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2010 20:24

>> its quite evidently NOT footage that anyone could claim to be 'never before seen' <<

yes well the PR team has been wildly mistaken about that exact sort of thing before, so ...
so i'm waiting ambitiously for the thing to come out.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 27, 2010 20:32

And why is May 17th not just simply today?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home