Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith & White SG on Midnight Rambler!
Date: February 23, 2010 03:08

In the rest of the world this doesn't matter, but I thought this was big news, LOL.
I thought Keith had only played the white SG at the Nicaragua show in LA. And I've seen the video to a lot of the Australia 73 footage; the pics that Honestman posted. (That is Sam Moore tapping along on the chair btw).
One of the pics has Keith on the SG; it is obviously "Midnight Rambler".

There is another shot among Honestman's bunch; one that shows Keith getting ready for a tune. You can't see him too well. The body looks like it could also be the SG, but the headstock looks different, and the capo seems to be @ around 4th or 5th fret.

Re: Keith & White SG on Midnight Rambler!
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: February 23, 2010 03:11

Nice to see Midnight Rambler being performed in daylight...

... and the guy below me is a dork.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-24 01:27 by Milan.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 23, 2010 03:31

you figured that out huh? what gave it away the sunlight?

now now if you cant take it dont dish it out, btw brilliant comeback

duck geese!!!!!!!!! duck geese??????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-24 05:11 by melillo.

Re: the Department of Where Credit Is Due
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 23, 2010 09:21

the photos from Melbourne 73 that Honestman posted are by Diane Worland,
and they're on this page: [www.iorr.org]

>> There is another shot among Honestman's bunch; one that shows Keith getting ready for a tune. <<

do you mean these shots? it looks like he's got one of the Newman-Jones custom five-strings.

- both Melbourne february 17th 1973 by Diane Worland, courtesy of Honestman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 09:30 by with sssoul.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: February 23, 2010 09:48

nope he plays midnight with a capo on the 7th fret, and always has. hes playin tumblin, jumpin, or some other 4th capo song. Or possibly ycagwyw, if its on the 5th fret.

Date: February 23, 2010 10:05

... the photo Palace Revolution re-posted is the one where he's playing Rambler on the white SG.
the ones i re-posted are of a different guitar, just before a different number.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: February 23, 2010 10:47

I believe that same white SG was on display in the Hard Rock vault in London last time I visited (maybe 4 years ago).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 23, 2010 11:05

Keith used four guitars on the Winter Tour 1973: the Gibson LP Junior for all standard tuning, the Gibson SG Custom for MR, the 5-string Newman-Jones for most open G songs, and the '53/'54 Fender Telecaster (Micawbre) for some open G songs. He seemed to alternate the Tele and the Newman Jones guitar on several songs. Brown Sugar and HTW where always played on the NJ, YCAGWYW and JJF/SFM about always on the Tele, and the rest of the open G he seemed to alternate.

Taylor played one '59 Gibson LP that was most likely rented as I have never seen it before or after. Wyman seemed to have played the Ampeg Dan Armstrong on the first couple shows, and switched to the Gibson EB-3 for the second half of the tour.

Concerning the SG: there are stories claiming he traded the guitar, together with a LP, to a late 50's korina Flying V on the '73 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 23, 2010 12:26

great Tour - anymore photos?? I have a few which I'll post soon....
There's plenty from Melbourne....but not many from the other shows they did in Australia...anyone?

Date: February 23, 2010 12:36

Yes, like Mathijs says about Wyman maybe switching bass after a couple shows, it also looks like Keith maybe settled on some guitars. (like he often does).
And thank you withsssoul for posting the other pics; it was indeed the second one that you posted that I was thinking about. Now that I see it one day later I ask myself "What was I thinking or seeing? LOL". It is that threaded part of the mike stand, that looked like a white cutout on the guitar to me, and made me think it could have been the SG; that is why the headstock made no sense. But this morning it looks obvious.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 23, 2010 12:39

Definitely the first pic is of Midnight Rambler, Mick's got his belt out! WHEW! Great shot!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 23, 2010 15:19

Mathijs
Taylor played one '59 Gibson LP that was most likely rented as I have never seen it before or after. ...

Mathijs

What's so distinctive about the LP that makes you say that?
didn't he use this one on the '72 STP too?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 23, 2010 16:25

Great pix all! Thanks for the posts

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 23, 2010 16:40

where the f--k is Bill?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 23, 2010 18:12

open-g
Mathijs
Taylor played one '59 Gibson LP that was most likely rented as I have never seen it before or after. ...

Mathijs

What's so distinctive about the LP that makes you say that?
didn't he use this one on the '72 STP too?

It's what's known as a 'darkburst', where the red is more of a burgundy. It's recognizable by the pickguard thats removed, but the bracket is left for whatever reason.

Mathijs

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 23, 2010 18:57

Ah, the days of "early concerts"- I always liked it when things got going in the afternoon or early evening-I'm too old to be waiting till 9 or 10 pm to get started!

Re: the Department of Where Credit Is Due
Date: February 23, 2010 19:15

>> where the f--k is Bill? <<

off to Keith's right - you'll see him if you check out the rest of Worland's photos,
which Honestman kindly posted for us on this page: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: February 23, 2010 19:26

Mathijs
Keith used four guitars on the Winter Tour 1973: the Gibson LP Junior for all standard tuning, the Gibson SG Custom for MR, the 5-string Newman-Jones for most open G songs, and the '53/'54 Fender Telecaster (Micawbre) for some open G songs. He seemed to alternate the Tele and the Newman Jones guitar on several songs. Brown Sugar and HTW where always played on the NJ, YCAGWYW and JJF/SFM about always on the Tele, and the rest of the open G he seemed to alternate.

Taylor played one '59 Gibson LP that was most likely rented as I have never seen it before or after. Wyman seemed to have played the Ampeg Dan Armstrong on the first couple shows, and switched to the Gibson EB-3 for the second half of the tour.

Concerning the SG: there are stories claiming he traded the guitar, together with a LP, to a late 50's korina Flying V on the '73 tour.

Mathijs

Does Keith play this LP Junior anymore - I think it was a dark reddish color? I think I've only seen him play a TV yellow Junior (Dice?) these days, and only on MR.

Date: February 23, 2010 19:39

>> Does Keith play this LP Junior anymore - I think it was a dark reddish color? <<

nope - apparently it was stolen in 1978.
you can read about his Juniors in this thread: [www.iorr.org]
(by the way, he uses the TV-yellow one for Out of Control as well as Rambler)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 19:42 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 23, 2010 20:31

Mathijs
It's what's known as a 'darkburst', where the red is more of a burgundy. It's recognizable by the pickguard thats removed, but the bracket is left for whatever reason.
Mathijs
This is the best color pick of this guitar I have seen. The burgundy really stands out:

I wonder what happened to it? Also, does anyone know who took this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 22:11 by ChrisM.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 23, 2010 20:59

>>This is the best color pick of this guitar I have seen. The burgundy really stands out:<<

I sure does and the bracket is clearly visible too.
thanks for posting the pic, Chris.

Date: February 24, 2010 00:12

with sssoul
>> Does Keith play this LP Junior anymore - I think it was a dark reddish color? <<

nope - apparently it was stolen in 1978.
you can read about his Juniors in this thread: [www.iorr.org]
(by the way, he uses the TV-yellow one for Out of Control as well as Rambler)

I saw him play OOC a few times, and he was always playing it on a 335; or maybe 345, not sure. I think it even was a brown one.

Date: February 24, 2010 09:27

... well, on the Bridges and ABB tours he used the TV-yellow Junior known as Dice for Out of Control and Rambler.
if you have a photo or footage of him using another guitar for OOC, it would be great to see it.

never mind - found it myself! at the Double Door gig in 97 he used the red 355 for Out of Control:

but as you see there are plenty of shows where he used the Junior for it: [youtube.com]

(Keith has red and black 355s, but i don't know of any brown one. the only 345 he uses on stage is a white one.
he's borrowed a 335 on a couple of occasions - like in the 70s - but not for Stones shows.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-24 12:25 by with sssoul.

Date: February 24, 2010 12:51

Oh, I know better than to argue with SSSoul on Keith's guitars, haha..
I just mentioned it because I was paying attention back then particularly to his guitar for that song. Right after it came out, somewhere I read an article on the "brown" sound that Keith had switched to. The 'brown sound' is that Humbucker ( I guess) sound that comes from Gibsons, old crackly tube amps, bridge PU probably; the word 'brown' is perfect. And it struck me that Keith was playing a brown guitar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home