Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Your favourite Rockmovie
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 26, 2010 00:27

Keefan
bustedtrousers
Keefan
Very glad to hear that STONES AT THE MAX has been reissued, that's news to me. Saw it at the IMAX about 10 years ago, would love to see it again.

Here's a few more music dvds that I really like, that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Gram Parsons; Fallen Angel
Small Faces - All or Nothing

The 'Classic Album - The Making of ..." dvds are really good too. I've got the ones on Cream - Direali Gears, Motorhead - Ace of Spades, the Who - Who's Next, & Hendrix -Electric Ladyland. They are all EXCELLENT!

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is excellent, and a bit sad too, they were not treated right in the long run by Berry Gordy. Another similar good one is The Wrecking Crew, about the session musicians from LA. It was made by one of the musician's sons, guitarist Tommy Tedesco's. It's finished and everything but never released officially, at least on DVD, but copies can be found, like with the MC5's a True Testimonial (also quite good).

Fallen Angel is very good too.

And I must have missed it somewhere on here, but has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry's Hail Hail? Surely someone did, I just don't feel like looking back for it right now. I can't believe I couldn't remember it when I made up my list.

I like the Classic Albums too, the Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks is one of my favorites, along with Who's Next. The footage of Townshend showing how he got the synth sound on Won't Get Fooled is worth it alone.

I've heard of the Wrecking Crew, but was not aware of the movie. I've always liked Tommy Tedesco, I will try to find a copy.

And I wasn't aware that they did a Classic Album dvd of Never Mind the Bullocks - I will definitely order a copy today! That album is one of my all time faves- I first bought it on 8 track over 30 years ago.

Thanks very much for the info!

The Wrecking Crew is currently on Pirate Bay if you do torrents. Just search video for The Wrecking Crew, it should come up. It doesn't seem quite as finished as other docs, like Standing in the Shadows, it kind of peters out in the last quarter. But the first 3/4 is wonderful, and the scenes of them sitting around telling stories is great. Hal Blaine is cool in it, and Tommy's in it quite a bit too, his son started it a few years before Tommy died. It's kind of a labor of love project for him, I think that's why it hasn't made it to DVD.

The Bollocks video is excellent, they speak to Johnny, Glen, and Steve, along with Chris Spedding and the album's engineer. Steve Jones is way cool in it, and funny, especially his comments about Glen Matlock, and how he picked his feet all the time. The special features have some little guitar lessons from Steve too. He's a super tight player. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it at all.

Date: June 26, 2010 01:01

Happy Jack
The Kids Are Alright

And a couple not mentioned:

Quadrophenia
The Wall

Yes, Quadrophenia is very good. I'm surprised that one took so long to come up.

As far as The Wall goes, I was 13 or so when it came out, and I bugged my mom to take me, because it was rated R. There was no one else who could, and at that age I was too chickenshit to sneak in or anything. She finally, albeit reluctantly, agreed, with the warning that if anything happened she didn't like, we were out of there. We get there, the film starts, and I'm freaking out I'm so excited. One of the first times I really felt I was part of an event, because this movie had been so hyped in my mind. I was also nervous as hell because of my mom, and what might appear on screen. The whole experience was just overwhelming to me.

Of course my worst fear was about to come true, since about 15 minutes or so in, the scene with the topless groupies comes on. My mom immediately turns to me and says, that's it, we're leaving. I was so pissed. And to make it worse, it was a Friday or Saturday night, and the place was packed. I felt like half my classmates were likely in there, and she was embarrassing the hell out of me. In reality, even if anyone I knew was there, it was dark and no one noticed, but in my mind, that trip up the aisle and out of the theater was the Walk Of Shame. By the time I finally saw it on video years later, I'd lost my interest. I thought it was long and boring. I still haven't really seen it all the way through.

Ugh. thanks mom, your the tops.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 28, 2010 02:49

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 28, 2010 02:58

Sad Story Busted sad smiley

Has anyone seen Elvis On Tour? I know it is supposed to be released late July but my understanding is its a pretty good movie in itself.

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 04:49

The Commitments.

Date: June 30, 2010 03:03

Happy Jack
Sad Story Busted sad smiley

Has anyone seen Elvis On Tour? I know it is supposed to be released late July but my understanding is its a pretty good movie in itself.

Somebody actually read one of my posts? Amazing!

I'm looking forward to seeing Elvis On Tour, I've already ordered it on Netflix.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 30, 2010 03:14

andy js
Slade In Flame

Brilliant call Andy.

'How Does It Feel?' A genuine,understated,oft-forgotten Rock classic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home