Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones too big for Woodstock?
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:10

Interesting quote from Michael Lang, taken from Mojo 2009. I´ve never thought of that aspect. Were the Stones really too big for that festival?

Was there anyone that you really wanted who didn't make it on to the bill?
Well, I didn't try to book Dylan because I thought it would completely alter the dynamic of the festival. But I did want him to be a part of it in some way and I spent an afternoon talking to him about it, trying to encourage him to drop by. I think I would have taken the same approach to Lennon. I wanted John Lennon very badly, but I don't think I would have announced that he was going to play. And the Stones... they were just too big. Not that Jimi Hendrix wasn't a big act, but he felt more of a part of our culture at that time. The Stones would have overshadowed the rest of the bill.

Re: The Stones too big for Woodstock?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:35

The stones couldn't have played it even if they were asked.

Posted by: Amused ()

he surely got a point here...
musically and socially speaking the Stones were a big unstoppable machine by then, not really true to Woodstock ideals... at least I think so.

Posted by: slew ()

I think the STones were too big for Woodstock

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:44

Woodstock was in August 69, the stones had done their Hyde park concert the month before, given that they were due to be in states in october( mixing of LIcool smiley. They were more than likely whipping themselves into shape for the tour. Since Hyde park is not known as their best performance, could they have played like that at Woodstock?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:45

It was bad timing for the band trying o integrate MT into the mix and making a new album and Mick J. down under filming Ned Kelly.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:04

Amused
he surely got a point here...
musically and socially speaking the Stones were a big unstoppable machine by then, not really true to Woodstock ideals... at least I think so.

They certainly would have stolen some of the thunder from the rest of the acts but not sure I would say they were too big for Woodstock....They played Arenas during the 69 U.S. tour and there was not that much hysteria involved with the shows..no riots etc.....The band was still pretty down to earth at that point with a straight forward stage show...

Now if you were talking the 72 tour incarnation of the Stones with all the media circus surrounding that band I would probably agree

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:20

Wouldnt have been doable for the simple reason that Jagger would have still been in Australia filming 'Ned Kelly' at the time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:24

they had there on woodstock at altamont

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:24

Declined Invitations:

The Beatles (John Lennon said he couldn't get them together)

Led Zeppelin (Got a higher paying gig at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey that weekend)

Bob Dylan (Turned it down because of his disgust of the hippies hanging around his house)

The Byrds (Turned it down because of a melee during their performance at the first Atlanta International Pop Festival, held at the Atlanta International Raceway on July 4 and July 5, 1969)

Tommy James & the Shondells (Turned it down because of being misinformed about the size and scope of the event)

Jethro Tull (Turned it down because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.)

The Moody Blues were included in the original posters as performers, but backed out after taking a gig in Paris on the same weekend.

Spirit (they had other shows planned and did not want to back out of their commitments; not knowing how big that Woodstock would ultimately become)

Mind Garage (Declined because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal and had a higher paying gig elsewhere)

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:38

Cancelled Acts:

Jeff Beck Group (The band broke up in July, forcing cancellation)

Iron Butterfly (Stuck at the airport, their manager demanded helicopters and special arrangements just for them. Were wired back and told, as impolitely as Western Union would allow, "to get lost", but in other 'words'.)

Joni Mitchell (Joni's agent put her on "The Dick Cavett Show" instead)

Lighthouse (Feared that it would be a "bad scene".)

Ethan Brown (Arrested for LSD three days before the event.)

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:58

Ah man .....

If I had known Tommy James was going to play
I would have gone for sure!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home