Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rocks Off - remastered on re-release of Exile
Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:39

Have always loved Rocks Off, but the remastered version on the re-release is just stunning. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just imagining it?

In particular, Charlie's drums shine through much more clearly. This is best displayed in several particular parts, such as when the cymbal crashes after the lyrics "I was making love last night..." snap, it's hits you right between the eyes.

Seems as though the horns are much brighter as well, as is Nicky Hopkins piano.

Could literally listen to this song all day - in fact, have played it continuously while driving for over 30 minutes bouncing along pretending I'm Mick and making all the drivers in the lanes next to me pull over in panic. I swear the remastering almost makes it sound like a new song.

Thoughts?

Re: Rocks Off - remastered on re-release of Exile
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:42

I haven't really listened closely but the Exile release is the one release that doesn't seem particularly different to the Virgin release, which I thought (and still think) is great.

I've only played it a couple of times and only on my car CD player so maybe I should bring it in and listen to it on a proper hi-fi for comparison, but it hasn't really jumped out at me. (which I'm glad about because I think some of the other releases were ruined when remastered this time)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 01:43 by sjs12.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:48

OpenGspot
Have always loved Rocks Off, but the remastered version on the re-release is just stunning. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just imagining it?

In particular, Charlie's drums shine through much more clearly. This is best displayed in several particular parts, such as when the cymbal crashes after the lyrics "I was making love last night..." snap, it's hits you right between the eyes.

Seems as though the horns are much brighter as well, as is Nicky Hopkins piano.

Could literally listen to this song all day - in fact, have played it continuously while driving for over 30 minutes bouncing along pretending I'm Mick and making all the drivers in the lanes next to me pull over in panic. I swear the remastering almost makes it sound like a new song.

Thoughts?

I agree that "Rocks Off" sounds better, though others here have tried to persuade me that its no different fro the previous Virgin release.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 14, 2010 03:08

I always thougth Charlie's cymbals snapped very nicely back in 72 when I first listened to the vinyl!!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 14, 2010 11:56

The 2009 remaster of Exile is vastly different to the 1994 remaster. It is mixed with more treble and also has a lot more mastering compression.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 14, 2010 12:15

The new remaster is a bit clearer and it's more compressed. But I actually prefer the Virgin version; it is fatter and warmer and a little more "Exile".

Date: June 14, 2010 13:02

LieB
The new remaster is a bit clearer and it's more compressed. But I actually prefer the Virgin version; it is fatter and warmer and a little more "Exile".

I absolutely prefer the Virgin version. The 2009 remaster is way too compressed to me, evern the bonus tracks are too compressed but this is all there is as no previous versions available.

The heavy compression is a bit annoying as I don't have the Virgin versions for some albums and have had to buy the 2009 versions, eg. GHS. The Virgin version for any post 1971 album is therefore lost forever for those that didn't buy it before 2009...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 14, 2010 14:01

WeLoveYou
LieB

I absolutely prefer the Virgin version. The 2009 remaster is way too compressed to me, evern the bonus tracks are too compressed but this is all there is as no previous versions available.

The heavy compression is a bit annoying as I don't have the Virgin versions for some albums and have had to buy the 2009 versions, eg. GHS. The Virgin version for any post 1971 album is therefore lost forever for those that didn't buy it before 2009...

The Virgins might go up in price a little bit eventually, but there's still plenty available on eBay and elsewhere. No difficulty (so far) in finding a mint copy. I believe most buyers want the recent remasters so the Virgins should actually be cheaper at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 14:03 by LieB.

Date: June 14, 2010 15:25

LieB
WeLoveYou
LieB

The Virgins might go up in price a little bit eventually, but there's still plenty available on eBay and elsewhere. No difficulty (so far) in finding a mint copy. I believe most buyers want the recent remasters so the Virgins should actually be cheaper at the moment.

Thanks, will bear this in mind

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:28

Rock Off like in other songs of this remasterised seems to me to rehabitate the outstanding job of Charlie and Bill detremental to the guitar of Keith. I think this is particularly true in this song as well as TD.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:33

for me the one thing that really stands out on the latest remaster are the keys; Nicky Hopkins is just all over the place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home