Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 20, 2009 02:28

Beside Kansas ´81,have there ever been some common sessions ( Stones or not ),shows,
recordings,charity performances ,whatever of these two ?

Re: Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 20, 2009 02:37

Taylor plays on Ronnie's first two solo records

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 20, 2009 02:47

Did Ron and Mick Taylor played together once at "Woody's on the Beach" Ronnie's Club in Florida? I think I read that somewhere.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 20, 2009 08:56

880108A 8th January: Miami, Florida, Woody's On The Beach
Note: One or both days included these songs (unverified):
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR)
- Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon)
- Baby What You Want Me To Do (Jimmy Reed)
- Dust My Blues (Robert Johnson)
Note: With special guests RW (gtr) and Bobby Keys (sax).

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 20, 2009 21:20

Class Rock Magazine (January 2010) article says something about Ronnie and Mick Taylor playing together somewhat recently (maybe for Ronnie's upcoming album?)

---------------------------
excerpt

Interviewer: Do you enjoy returning to your Faces role of sole guitarist in the band again?

Ron Wood: Yeah, I do love to return to it, then it makes me appreciate how I work witk Keith, because he establishes a riff and I play around it. Funnily enough, Mick Taylor is about to arrive here. He's another ancient weaver that I've grown up with and always respected. He's one of the best guitar players I've ever met. We'll talk musically through our guitars together, no doubt.
-----------------------------

whole article at this thread

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-20 21:22 by swiss.

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: December 22, 2009 16:16

shortfatfanny
Beside Kansas ´81,have there ever been some common sessions ( Stones or not ),shows,
recordings,charity performances ,whatever of these two ?

They played on John Phillips 'Pussycat/Half Stoned'. But i don't know if they played together ou separatly.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: December 22, 2009 18:16

How about the night the Stones were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 22, 2009 18:22

At the hall of fame they looked great...Everyone seemed happy.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: December 22, 2009 18:48

hot stuff

Except Bill and Charlie of course. Bill had some very strong personal objections against wearing a dinner jacket for the occasion, or so he said later in a TV interview. Mick T explained their absence by saying they were "unavoidably detained and can't be here tonight"
But yes Ronnie and Mick T were very matey matey. They had spent some time together in Miami, a few months prior to the ceremony. At that point in time, the friendship between Ronnie and Mick T was in much better condition than the relationship between Keith and Mick J...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 19:05 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 24, 2009 01:24

Lightnin'
hot stuff

Except Bill and Charlie of course. Bill had some very strong personal objections against wearing a dinner jacket for the occasion, or so he said later in a TV interview. Mick T explained their absence by saying they were "unavoidably detained and can't be here tonight"
But yes Ronnie and Mick T were very matey matey. They had spent some time together in Miami, a few months prior to the ceremony. At that point in time, the friendship between Ronnie and Mick T was in much better condition than the relationship between Keith and Mick J...

I heard that Ronnie and MT were pretty tight before either of them were in the Stones.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 24, 2009 01:31

I heard that as well. Ronnie knew Mick from his pre-Mayall stint in The Godz. If you have heard the fly on the wall recording of the Dylan-Richards-Wood rehearsal for Live Aid Ronnie mentions that Mick would get such stage fright that he would ask him to sub for him. Glad to he overcame it!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 24, 2009 12:45

When I went to An Audience With Mick Taylor and Friends in London in 2008, MT explained that Ronnie was the first other guitarist he got to know, when they were teenagers. So yes they go way back.

He also explained why Ronnie once stepped in for him. It was when MT was playing with the either the Gods or the Bluesbreakers - he said he'd drunk a pint of cider and smoked a spliff beforehand...and then found his head was spinning and so mixed up that he realised he simply couldn't play the gig, so asked Ronnie to step in for him. Ronnie assumed he had stage fright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-24 13:18 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: December 24, 2009 16:42

WeLoveYou
When I went to An Audience With Mick Taylor and Friends in London in 2008, MT explained that Ronnie was the first other guitarist he got to know, when they were teenagers. So yes they go way back.

He also explained why Ronnie once stepped in for him. It was when MT was playing with the either the Gods or the Bluesbreakers - he said he'd drunk a pint of cider and smoked a spliff beforehand...and then found his head was spinning and so mixed up that he realised he simply couldn't play the gig, so asked Ronnie to step in for him. Ronnie assumed he had stage fright.

Apparently Ronnie wants everyone to believe that Taylor has a bad case of stage fright. It's really weird how he's been repeating this story over and over to journalists. I think it's in the According to the Rolling Stones book too. (the bad thing about this is that Taylor is not asked for his version of events).
MT's mistake with the cider/spliff mixing + feeling sick to his stomach happened when they were very young - Taylor was still with the Gods then and Ronnie with the Birds. It's the only time Taylor asked Ronnie to help out, since they were on the same bill and were mates. For some reason Ronnie has been making a big thing out of this every time he gets asked about Taylor. Perhaps it's his own insecurity that makes him do this - I mean, it must be hard for him to get always compared (usually not favourably) to Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-24 16:45 by Lightnin'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home