Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tom Waits-Keith Connection
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 17, 2009 05:58

In case anyone here hasn't done so already, go out and get Tom Waits' "Rain Dogs" (1986). Not only is it Waits' best record, but Keith Richards is on several tracks. A standout is "Blind Love" where Richards provides tasty Telecaster country fills as well as lovely backing vocals. I am a big Waits fan, and to have two of my heroes together is a real treat. Wish they'd team up again.

Re: Tom Waits-Keith Connection
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: December 17, 2009 06:23

I love Tom.
Keith is also on Bone Machine on a lovely tune called "That Feel".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2009 06:27

And and and That Feel from Bone Machine ...... Lil' Band O' Gold also do a great cover of it ...

There's also s few other Keith-Tom tracks that have never been released ...
Sure if ya do a search back you'll find reference to 'em ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:05

Both quotes from "Innocent When You Dream - Tom Waits, The Collected Interviews" edited by Mac Montandon (highly recommended, by the way).

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:21

"He's been borrowing money from me for so long that I had to put a stop to it. He's a gentleman, he came into the studio and took his hat off and all these birds flew out." (Tom Waits on Keith Richards)

[www.tomwaits.com]

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:31

Excellent quotes from Tom Waits. One of my all-time favorite artists in ANY genre. I am sure most of you know, but that was also him playing the piano on 'Sleep Tonight'.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:56

theimposter
Excellent quotes from Tom Waits. One of my all-time favorite artists in ANY genre. I am sure most of you know, but that was also him playing the piano on 'Sleep Tonight'.

Did not know!
I always pictured KR hunched o'er the piano box on that one...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 17, 2009 19:09

theimposter

Didn't know that either. Interesting. How do YOU know imposter?

And I love that clip you posted bernardanderson.

"Ronnie, where's the shit man?"

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: December 17, 2009 21:22

Is there any kind of Tom Waits-Mick Connection?

I don't think there is but thought I should check with the experts!

Date: December 17, 2009 22:43

From Wikipedia:

Waits developed his acting career with several supporting roles and a lead role in Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law in 1986, which also featured two of Waits's songs from Rain Dogs in the soundtrack. In the same year, Waits also contributed piano and vocals to the song "Sleep Tonight" on The Rolling Stones' album Dirty Work.

I first read this many years ago, back in the early 90's. Man, I wish they would do this live. I always love Keith's guitar work on this, and surely Chuck could get the piano part to this down (though I'd rather hear ol' Tom do it).

Incidentally, my all-time favorite TW record is 'Mule Variations'. A PERFECT record, not to mention it's sort of a "greatest hits" of all of his eclectic styles.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 17, 2009 22:56

>> In the same year, Waits also contributed piano and vocals to the song "Sleep Tonight"
on The Rolling Stones' album Dirty Work. <<

er ... Tom sang backup on Harlem Shuffle, not Sleep Tonight, and unless there's a way more reliable source than Wikipedia
saying he played the piano on Sleep Tonight, i'm keeping that idea on hold.

Date: December 17, 2009 23:06

with sssoul
>> In the same year, Waits also contributed piano and vocals to the song "Sleep Tonight"
on The Rolling Stones' album Dirty Work. <<

er ... Tom sang backup on Harlem Shuffle, not Sleep Tonight, and unless there's a way more reliable source than Wikipedia
saying he played the piano on Sleep Tonight, i'm keeping that idea on hold.

Well, I don't know FOR SURE it's Tom, but I can tell you it isn't Keith. My guess is if it isn't TW than it's Stu.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 17, 2009 23:07

>> My guess is if it isn't TW than it's Stu. <<

timeisonourside.com says it's Chuck Leavell.

Date: December 17, 2009 23:16

with sssoul
>> My guess is if it isn't TW than it's Stu. <<

timeisonourside.com says it's Chuck Leavell.

Oh really? I didn't know he was even playing with them on albums during this time. But I guess he did first hook up with them in 82, so I guess I could see that. I remember where I first read it was TW on piano, it was this kind of 'bargain bin' book called something like 'The Rolling Stones: Song By song" that just gave analysis/trivia about all their songs up thru Voodoo Lounge. Of course, that doesn't mean the author was correct, but he definitely wrote it.

Date: December 17, 2009 23:37

I<< ncidentally, my all-time favorite TW record is 'Mule Variations'. A PERFECT record, not to mention it's sort of a "greatest hits" of all of his eclectic styles. >>

Mule is fantastic. That and Rain Dogs are his two best IMO, though some prefer his earlier more-sentimental, less expiremental period. Not me.

Date: December 17, 2009 23:44

Franks Wild Years is my favourite Waits album.
and Down By Law is a fantastic film.

Date: December 17, 2009 23:46

71Tele
I<< ncidentally, my all-time favorite TW record is 'Mule Variations'. A PERFECT record, not to mention it's sort of a "greatest hits" of all of his eclectic styles. >>

Mule is fantastic. That and Rain Dogs are his two best IMO, though some prefer his earlier more-sentimental, less expiremental period. Not me.

That's what I like about Mule - it kind of touches on both aspects to me. And I do prefer his more "singer-songwriter" stuff, but I dig on a lot of the weird stuff too when I am in the mood for it. If you haven't heard it yet, his new double live album is AWESOME.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 18, 2009 01:28

I always thought Sleep Tonight was about Stu, post-mortem. I think the little bit after the song is him, but I think the piano in Sleep Tonight is not. Maybe TW, maybe someone else.

Date: December 18, 2009 01:49

<< That's what I like about Mule - it kind of touches on both aspects to me. And I do prefer his more "singer-songwriter" stuff, but I dig on a lot of the weird stuff too when I am in the mood for it. If you haven't heard it yet, his new double live album is AWESOME. >>

I was fortunate enough to attend two of the shows on that tour.

Date: December 18, 2009 02:19

71Tele
<< That's what I like about Mule - it kind of touches on both aspects to me. And I do prefer his more "singer-songwriter" stuff, but I dig on a lot of the weird stuff too when I am in the mood for it. If you haven't heard it yet, his new double live album is AWESOME. >>

I was fortunate enough to attend two of the shows on that tour.

Which tour, Mule or Glitter & Doom?

Date: December 18, 2009 02:25

<< Which tour, Mule or Glitter & Doom? >>

2 for Mule, 4 for G&D, and 2 for Orphans

Greatest shows of any artist I have ever seen. Liked the band better for Mule and Orphans though. Marc Ribot on guitar.

Date: December 18, 2009 03:43

Lucky bastard!!!! Only have seen one show, Nashville - Orphans tour. He didn't have Marc Ribot with him on that though. Still, probably the best non-Stones show I have ever seen.

Date: December 18, 2009 03:45

I saw Tom on the Orphans tour as well. Duke Robillard was on guitar.

Date: December 18, 2009 03:48

bernardanderson
I saw Tom on the Orphans tour as well. Duke Robillard was on guitar.

Yep it was Duke when I saw him. He was great, though I prefer Ribot's style on Tom's songs.

Date: December 18, 2009 04:05

I saw the shows before and after Nashville (Ashville and Memphis). I prefer Ribot but Duke is good too. For the Real Gone tour (saw that one in Seattle and Amsterdam) he had Ribot on guitar and Brain on drums. I think this was the best of Tom's recent stage bands. His son is playing drums for him now. He's coming along nicely.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:16

infos about that backstage clip with ronnie, keith and tom please!
what year? who else is there? where is it? is there more similar stuff?

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:33

is he also heard on

TOM WAITS FOR NO ONE? ....;-)

Date: December 18, 2009 07:10

guitarbastard
is he also heard on

TOM WAITS FOR NO ONE? ....;-)

Groan...thought I am actually guilty of using that joke too smiling smiley

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: December 18, 2009 07:42

And the million dollar question: is any of the unreleased Waits - Richards material in circulation?
Do we know what it consists of (finsihed songs, jam sessions)?

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: December 18, 2009 08:48

theimposter
Lucky bastard!!!! Only have seen one show, Nashville - Orphans tour. He didn't have Marc Ribot with him on that though. Still, probably the best non-Stones show I have ever seen.

I went to that show. The way the Ryman shook that night was unbelievable. Tom killed it on Wolf's 'Who's been Talkin'. I've seen Tom about 7 times now, even sat near Keith at the Beacon on the Mule tour, and he ranks right at the top of my list as a live performer.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home