Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Think the Stones would ever go for this?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 29, 2009 03:54

The other at night at KISS (yeah, we went!) they had a thing where you could pre-purchase that night's show. You pay before ($30) and are given a thumb drive (loaded with pix and other junk) or a CD--your choice. The encore is available for download later the next day (would take too much time to prop the recording before the crowd files out) It's a super clean board mix, exceptional sound and I think it seems like something that'd be a good fit for the Stones--(I got it for my teenaged son)

Most of the shirts were $45--this seemed like a good option for people and it was selling hard

I think KISS may be onto something with this marketing thing--all they need now is a gimmick or two

thoughts on the selling of live recording at the site?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-29 03:54 by hbwriter.

Re: Think the Stones would ever go for this?
Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: November 29, 2009 04:25

No

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 29, 2009 04:40

ohmygoodness; first off ABOUT ISS; not for me....ohno

second....stones won't even release shows that we all know are super fantastic ground breaking GREAT....!!! some kibble like rock circus forty years too late only to find the stones were having an off night...comparatively....yawn...

hg, brussels...tons o other stuff nope nope nope...jagger or whatever keeping it in the can forever...why would they wanna sell an album of a pretty much unedited live show at every stop? first off, a lot of this would suck...sescond off...who cares really? not me...not theseadays...will get a good soundboard if there's a great show anyway.....unmolested by mick....
third off...kiss make me sick...rock and roll over was good a long long time ago...last thirty years? bulshit....and how.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 29, 2009 10:08

Marillion does a similar thing. You can download almost every show from their website for less than 10 dollars.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 29, 2009 10:18

ah, is it time for the why-don't-the-Stones-do-instant-soundboards question again?
okay! the traditional counter-question goes like this:
do the bands who do this mostly own their own back catalogs?
(if another entity's share of each concert/release has to be calculated, paid and accounted for,
that's not an insurmountable obstacle, but it certainly complicates things.)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 29, 2009 10:22

Yes - only because it would make money. They could even control it - record a show or two, do some overdubs, and then in the same spot every night, say the name of the city, etc...and there you go. Another live Stones album. Whether you realise it's from your city or not is moot - it says so right in the thing. Which would mean - HA HA - the same set list every night. Not a stretch there. Of course they could update it here and there depending on how different a show or shows would be - but I doubt that would really happen, based on how A Bigger Bang transpired.

No - it would require the effort of a live album. And since they are going to be recording shows for a live album...why bother.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 29, 2009 15:00

hbwriter
all they need now is a gimmick or two

Did I hear "gimmick?"

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 29, 2009 15:43

The Dead (i.e., the Grateful Dead w/o Jerry) were doing something like this last year. You paid a fee before the concert, got a numbered ticket, you saw the concert, then right afterwards as you were walking out, you turned in the ticket & got a CD set of the show you just saw.

Don't know much else about it (encores, quality, packaging, etc.). Extremely quick turn-around.

I definitely DO NOT see the Rolling Stones doing anything like this, though.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 29, 2009 15:50

This is just a more instantaneous version of something the Who started doing in 2002; the sale of "official bootlegs" that you could order online as soon as the show was over (or even before the show happened) and they'd ship the CDs to you in about three weeks. The Who eventually stopped doing this when Roger's voice became embarrassing and offensive to listen to. The Stones would never do anything like this. There are, obviously, no edits or overdubs on these recordings, so if anything goes really wrong, it's captured on there for eternity. Likewise if you have some guy in the front row yelling "You suck!" at you all night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-29 15:56 by tatters.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 29, 2009 16:30

The Who's money earned from this went to children's charitys however.

Pearl Jam did the same thing though I dunno whether they pocketed the money or not.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 29, 2009 16:48

what I found interesting is that KISS works "Won't Get Fooled Again" into their set and a bit of Stairway to Heaven--and both are on the recorded shows--wonder how the licensing works on that?

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: November 29, 2009 16:52

You guy's are wayyyyyyyyy behind on the tech trend... as is KISS. Please, go to the website www.livephish.com , they now post soundboards of EVERY show by 1 o'clock in the morning so you can be rocking out to it just a few hours later... mp3's run at 10 dollars, and flac hd is $18 per show, I would argue that the stones could absolutely do this, it would certainly open my wallet up for hundreds of dollars per tour. If you get a chance check out how slick livephish is, it's quite a website

Date: November 29, 2009 16:53

hbwriter
what I found interesting is that KISS works "Won't Get Fooled Again" into their set and a bit of Stairway to Heaven--and both are on the recorded shows--wonder how the licensing works on that?

I think if it's under a certain number of seconds you don't have to pay anybody anything.

Date: November 29, 2009 20:23

skipstone

No - it would require the effort of a live album. And since they are going to be recording shows for a live album...why bother.

It would require no effort on their part at all. The only "bother" would be hiring the people to set it up and carry it through. The reason it may be worth their while is that there are many bootleg collectors who like to collect shows they were at. Faced with a choice between a poorly-recorded terrible concert they were at, and a well-recorded great concert they weren't at, many collectors will buy the show they were at. A soundboard-quality recording of a Stones concert you just went to would be an enticing souvenir, even for people who never bought a bootleg in their lives.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 29, 2009 20:34

The Allman Brothers Band has been selling instant live CDs of shows for several years. Plenty of other bands have soundboard recordings available for download shortly after a given night's performance. The current Pixies tour is available as both CDs and downloads.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 29, 2009 20:38

The Who were also selling pro-shot DVD's of their shows.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: November 29, 2009 20:42

Pixies are selling their shows on the current Doolittle tour. You can get it either on USB stick, CDs or download...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home