Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Marianne Faithful interview
Posted by: ClashMusic ()
Date: November 25, 2009 11:55

Full uncut conversation with Marianne Faithful:

[www.clashmusic.com]

One of her most revealing interviews in some time (but then, doesn't she always give revealing interviews?)

Speaks about Mick, the Stones, her solo career and her current re-invention as an award winning actress.

ClashMusic

Re: Marianne Faithful interview
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 25, 2009 12:31

great read thanx

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 26, 2009 09:02

one of the greatest female artists of all time. it is a shame that her music is rarely played on FM radio here in the USA.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 26, 2009 12:20

Midnight Toker
one of the greatest female artists of all time.

Is that a serious remark?

Date: November 26, 2009 12:37

Midnight Toker
one of the greatest female artists of all time. it is a shame that her music is rarely played on FM radio here in the USA.

i agree

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: November 26, 2009 13:16

How did Mick profit from her talent? According to Mick, she wrote some lines to Sister Morphine, what other contributions did she make?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:26

windmelody- Yes it is, and that is my opinion. Why do you ask? Unique voice and some nice lyrics with an edge. I'd put "Perfect Stranger" up against any CD by any other single rock and roll female performer any day of the week.
As far as individual songs, have a listen to "Wilder Shores of Love" from "Vagabond Ways" sometime.
windmelody, were you thinking Carrie Underwood ot Taylor Swift?
BTW, I had indicated that Marianne one of the best IMO, not the best.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:46

She did some good work indeed.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 27, 2009 08:03

Marianne's great value is as a muse and teacher to Mick. She introduced him to literature, history, dance and music he very likely would never discovered on his own. All of the love songs written during the beginning and middle of their r/ship were inspired by her and written to her, as well as songs like SFTD, which was written as a result of her influence.

So she should be given due credit by Stones fans.

This is not to say I enjoy or admire her work, or have any time for her pretentious interviews.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 20:18 by Bliss.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: November 27, 2009 10:13

Marianne alwas likes to present Mick as if he had not read one book before he met her.I don´t know which love song is about her, but i don´t think she could teach him something about music or history, he was already a member of the history debating club in his school, so interest was there before Marianne.
And i think her influence on SFTD was only to have lend him a book.
Did i say already that i don´t like Marianne very much? ;-)

Date: November 27, 2009 11:45

If I remember correctly, according to Booth, it were Marianne and Anita who directed Mick and Keith to the the pre war blues and folk before beggar's sessions...

Talking about the present I see a huge gap in quality between marianne latest studio albums and stones. Of course she is a singer and not a songwriter so that she can pick great songs to make records with. Still I think she has made great choices with regards to the people she work with Hal Wilner, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Chan Marshall, Marc Ribot, Jim White, Antony Hagarty etc... Keith Richards...

What a difference between Chan Marshall and... Christina Aguilera!

The stones have a much harder job to do as they have to compete with those who wrote jumpin jack or tumbling dice, but I think they could learn something from Marianne these days

and i hope they would

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 27, 2009 11:54

>> If I remember correctly, according to Booth, it were Marianne and Anita
who directed Mick and Keith to the the pre war blues and folk before beggar's sessions <<

... they were listening to pre-war blues way before they met Marianne and Anita.
if you have time to look up the statement you're recollecting, i'd be grateful

Date: November 27, 2009 12:49

i am at work now so i cant browse thru booth's book and of course i can b wrong in my recollection (or in the "weight" of it)
however the pre war blues was certainly not a main source for their inspiration BEFORE 67/68 and that is i think a fact spoken by 1) the tracklist of the their "cover" first albums 2) Their sound
The closest they hint to that tradition before 68 i think is their rewriting of the traditional The last time.
In any way nothing close to the tribute they make to that tradition in their 68/72 albums
So they might have listened pre war blues way before they met M and A but certainly they did not make that a fundamental mark of their music style before 68 (prodigal son, you gotta move, parachute woman, factory girl, love in vain...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 12:53 by maumau.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home