Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best show of '76 tour...?
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 17, 2009 11:51

Inspired by dcba's post in the Knebworth thread, I was just thinking about the 1976 tour: A few days ago I found this "remastered" version of "Germany '76" on Dime. Listening to it I figured what a blistering show this June 2 recording from Sporthalle Cologne must have been. It's also a fine recording, nicely capturing the atmosphere, and offering few signs of the sloppiness and going-through-the-motions feel, generally associated with this tour. Now, I don't know too many recordings from this tour which is my least favourable from their classic period (only Knebworth, Paris (June 4), Frankfurt and one or two Earls Court shows), but to me this particular recording from Cologne seems to be among the best available shows from '76. What's your opinion on this (my other favourites being Paris and Frankfurt (sloppy, but interesting, as most of their opening shows).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 14:19 by Greenblues.

Re: Best show of '76 tour...?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 17, 2009 13:11

1st Cologne and 2nd Frankfurt are as good contenders as any; I'd say - agreed.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2009 15:26

Wasn't the last Paris (June 7) pretty good (at least better than the 5&6th gigs)?
They wanted to end the Paris residency with a bang, I guess...

Generally I've discovered a fondness for this tour I didn't think I had : recently Lyon and Nice have been on my computer (thx to Dime) and I like the funk of this era.
(Nice isn't a great show btw imo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 15:29 by dcba.

Date: November 17, 2009 15:40

dcba
Wasn't the last Paris (June 7) pretty good (at least better than the 5&6th gigs)?

Yes it was - IMO as well

Date: November 17, 2009 18:30

Erik I suggest we bring a bit of dissensus in this thread. Otherwise ppl are going to think YOU are behind the dcba alias >grinning smiley<

Yeah Nice (June 13) is really "nothing special" from start to finish. I keep it on my HD for archival reasons only.

Date: November 17, 2009 19:13

Erik_Snow

Erik, just to keep the discussion going, as dcba suggested ;-) I'm not quite sure what your statement was: Do you mean Cologne and Frankfurt are JUST as good as any (other show from '76) or do you think, Cologne for example COULD well be the best of them all, possibly (which is difficult to judge for me, as I only know a fraction of the available recordings).

It might not be the most interesting of tours due to the well known reasons, but listening to the Cologne recording I was surprised how much they could rock out even then. Plus there are the B&B tracks, like Hey Negrita, which also contribute to the fun. Compared to some recordings from Earls Court, which I found to be quite lifeless and boring, I must say this recording turned out to be real fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 19:35 by Greenblues.

Date: November 17, 2009 19:35

"how much they could rock out even then. Plus there are the B&B tracks, like Hey Negrita, which also contribute to the fun"
you've summed up my thoughts about the June 2 (1st) pretty well. thumbs up

I alo have old but fond memories of the Vienna tape : did the "last show of the tour" syndrom pressed them to hit the "overdrive" button?

Date: November 17, 2009 20:07

Greenblues
Erik_Snow

Erik, just to keep the discussion going, as dcba suggested ;-) I'm not quite sure what your statement was: Do you mean Cologne and Frankfurt are JUST as good as any (other show from '76) or do you think, Cologne for example COULD well be the best of them all, possibly (which is difficult to judge for me, as I only know a fraction of the available recordings).

Oh it's just my poor English language; what I meant was that those 2 shows are among the very best ones from the tour - and perhaps; THE 2 best ones....especially Cologne

The 2nd Münster show is pretty good (for 1976) but the 1st Münster show is really worth seeking out because it's probably the show with the MOST mistakes of any Rolling Stones concert.....before the ABB tour..!

But all in all - it's not often that I put on a 1976 CD/CDR - as most concerts that year were let-downs....unlike the previous and the following tour.

Greenblues
(...) some recordings from Earls Court, which I found to be quite lifeless and boring

Indeed - they were

dcba
Erik I suggest we bring a bit of dissensus in this thread. Otherwise ppl are going to think YOU are behind the dcba alias

Thanks for reminding me, Erik - dcba; yes let's pretend I'm not you...or me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 20:46 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 17, 2009 20:34

I bought Cologne '75 "Hot Pants & Wet Panties" 30 years ago & thought it one of the worst Stones shows I'd ever heard. My opinion hasn't changed.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: November 17, 2009 20:50

The best was Lyon (France)

Date: November 17, 2009 20:51

albop

Jagger's voice is gone in Lyon, I'd say - maybe tired from the Paris shows

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: November 17, 2009 21:45

The Berlin show was the best - because it was my first Stones show!

Date: November 17, 2009 21:49

HEILOOBAAS
I bought Cologne '75 "Hot Pants & Wet Panties" 30 years ago & thought it one of the worst Stones shows I'd ever heard. My opinion hasn't changed.

But that's the 2nd Cologne show isn't it, Jonathan....same as "Happy Birthday Charlie"...?
And it's one of the real poor ones of that tour - that's for sure

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 17, 2009 22:07

Erik_Snow
albop

Yet, Jagger is very high in the mix in Lyon, at least in the commonly available mono soundboard, which is a real problem with this show, IMO.

I think Cologne is a good show for '76, but I prefer Paris June 7th, although the hiss is bothersome during the first half of the show...

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 17, 2009 22:11

texas fan
Erik_Snow
albop

Yet, Jagger is very high in the mix in Lyon, at least in the commonly available mono soundboard, which is a real problem with this show, IMO.

I think Cologne is a good show for '76, but I prefer Paris June 7th, although the hiss is bothersome during the first half of the show...

mix of soundboard & audience would be perfect mix...?????

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 17, 2009 22:16

Lyon

Date: November 17, 2009 22:19

Erik_Snow
HEILOOBAAS

But that's the 2nd Cologne show isn't it, Jonathan....same as "Happy Birthday Charlie"...?
And it's one of the real poor ones of that tour - that's for sure

That's the second one? OK! Yeah, it's Happy Birthday Charlie. The band sounds like they are asleep!

Date: November 17, 2009 22:45

"I bought Cologne '76 "Hot Pants & Wet Panties" 30 years ago & thought it one of the worst Stones shows I'd ever heard. My opinion hasn't changed."

Maybe your turtable was running a bit slow...? >grinning smiley<
Seriously it's one of the very few 76 shows where I want to play the songs a 2nd time. Keith was ALIVE at this show eye popping smiley

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 17, 2009 22:59

I can remember that I enjoyed my old vinyl boot "Nasty Habits In Glasgow" very much. Haven't listen to it for ages. The quality of this audience recording is not perfect but the show was really good. I think that the concert parts of the '76 BBC special came from Glasgow. Real hot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 23:14 by django.

Date: November 17, 2009 23:42

dcba
"I bought Cologne '76 "Hot Pants & Wet Panties" 30 years ago & thought it one of the worst Stones shows I'd ever heard. My opinion hasn't changed."

Seriously it's one of the very few 76 shows where I want to play the songs a 2nd time. Keith was ALIVE at this show eye popping smiley

I have the 2nd Cologne show, wh. was rotten.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 18, 2009 00:14

HEILOOBAAS
dcba

I have the 2nd Cologne show, wh. was rotten.

This might be a case where it's a noisy/bad recording but the performance was great? Some of my favorite bootlegs (for performance) have been panned by others for poor sound quality.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: November 18, 2009 10:36

"I have the 2nd Cologne show, wh. was rotten."
try the 1st, the "EAU DE COLOGNE" lp show then.

I love it because you clearly feel the boys, like in 72, have a telepathic link between them.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 18, 2009 18:34

vancouver
Lyon

Hehe ...for me too ...I am just teasing here , Greenblues ...I know you're talking about the sound recording ,but Lyon 76 was my 1st show ,so.....

texas fan

+1

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 18, 2009 19:12

Sitting in the dentist's chair this morning I was wondering why nobody mentions the opening show in Frankfurt? I think it was very solid & energetic.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:15

SwayStones

texas fan

+1

Sway, honey, are you picking on me?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 19, 2009 10:53

texas fan
SwayStones

texas fan

+1

Sway, honey, are you picking on me?
texas fan darling ,I won't never dare .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 19, 2009 11:31

HEILOOBAAS
Sitting in the dentist's chair this morning I was wondering why nobody mentions the opening show in Frankfurt? I think it was very solid & energetic.

I did mention it (Erik too), but I'd rather place it in the "runners up" category, because it sounds a bit ragged and sloppy in places. As one of the two oping shows however, I find it rather fascinating, but energy-wise I'd much prefer the Cologne show (FIRST show that is), which btw. is up on Dime at the moment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-19 11:41 by Greenblues.

Date: November 19, 2009 11:36

SwayStones
vancouver
Lyon

Hehe ...for me too ...I am just teasing here , Greenblues ...I know you're talking about the sound recording ,but Lyon 76 was my 1st show ,so.....

Just seems natural to me, SwayStones. My first show ever was Status Quo, about one or two years after. In '76 I was only 11 years old and would've preferred The Sweet to the Stones, hehe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-19 11:40 by Greenblues.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 19, 2009 13:33

Saw the Stones in Paris and Knebworth in 76, think i enjoyed the Knebworth performance better. In Paris we were sitting in the posh seats and couldn't really let go but Knebworth was much more laid back.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: November 19, 2009 14:23

There is no such thing as a really good show from the '76 tour. They sure looked much better on this tour than they sounded. Same goes for the '75 tour. They sounded like amateurs on these tours but looked like real rockstars.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home