Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: BEATLES to release entire catalogue on Loseless 24-bit FLAC Files - better than CD sound quality
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 13, 2009 01:16

Describing the sound quality, Paul McCartney said in the new (came today in the post - Mick, Bruce, Bono on he cover) ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE, "It sounds like I'm back in the session. I hear John and think, there he is". The USB Drive containing the digital format of loseless 24-bit FLAC files is suppose to sound much better than CD quality and approach the quality of the Master Tapes. The limited edition is going for $280.00 for their entire work. Don't know how many they're making and what the packaging will look like but it sounds SUPER INTERESTING !!! Coming out December 8th (isn't that a very dark day in Beatles history? hmmmm).... Your thoughts.....

Re: OT: BEATLES to release entire catalogue on Loseless 24-bit FLAC Files - better than CD sound quality
Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 13, 2009 02:21

Marginally better at best. The best thing they could do for sound quality was a good mastering job from original master tapes, and they've done that. As Stones fans, we've been through the Hi-Res merry-go-round with the SACD reissues in 2002. With moderately good gear, the audible difference was maybe there. There's plenty of blind A/B studies that don't support test groups being able to identify a difference with significant reliability. That said, with digital distribution and the flexibility of computers and PMP's in being able to process all kinds of variations of sample rates, bit rates and bit size, why not have technically better quality. I'll still be buying my CD's though.

Re: OT: BEATLES to release entire catalogue on Loseless 24-bit FLAC Files - better than CD sound quality
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:25

Yeah, that is a strange release date. But on the other hand if they were trying recognize 8 December I'd think they would wait until the 30th anniversary. This year I'll be at an Alice Cooper concert in Holland, then the next day I'll see Paul McCartney. Thinking of John throughout all of it I'm sure.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:55

I heard the news today, oh boy, about SACD or HD Audio will come out in future by using 24 bit master tape.
Good and quickly seldom meet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-13 11:06 by Toru A.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 13, 2009 10:02

usb for 24 bit flac? would have to be an external hard drive for it to contain all albums

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 13, 2009 15:45

24 bit/44.1 kHz is not more than a teaser.
Waiting for proper high rez. 24 bit/192 kHz on Blu-Ray (like Neil Young did, or Tom Petty's live box. Would buy it in a second.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 13, 2009 17:26

Toru A
I heard the news today, oh boy, about SACD or HD Audio will come out in future by using 24 bit master tape.

It's a limited edition of 30,000 apples.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 13, 2009 17:35

[beatles.fanfire.com]

Limited Edition USB Stick - Contains Entire Digitally Remastered Catalogue
(BEA48315)

TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT!

Release Date 12/8/09

Following the 9.9.09 debut of the digitally re-mastered catalogue on CD, Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are pleased to announce the worldwide release of a limited edition of 30,000 Beatles Stereo USB apples on December 8th.

This unique, apple-shaped USB drive is loaded with the re-mastered audio for The Beatles' 14 stereo titles, as well as all of the re-mastered CDs' visual elements, including 13 mini-documentary films about the studio albums, replicated original UK art, rare photos and expanded liner notes. A specially designed Flash interface has been installed, and the 16GB USB's audio contents will be provided in FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats, fully compatible with PC and Mac.

Albums:

-Please Please Me

-With The Beatles

-A Hard Day's Night

-Beatles For Sale

-Help!

-Rubber Soul

-Revolver

-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

-Magical Mystery Tour

-Yellow Submarine

-The White Album

-Abbey Road

-Let It Be

-Past Masters

APPLE AND EMI TO RELEASE LIMITED EDITION STEREO USB

Apple-Shaped USB Includes Complete Audio and Visuals from
The Re-mastered Stereo CDs

Following the 09.09.09 debut of the digitally re-mastered catalogue on CD, Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are pleased to announce the worldwide release of a limited edition of only 30,000 Beatles Stereo USB apples on December 7 (December 8 in North America).

The exquisitely crafted, apple-shaped USB drive is loaded with the critically acclaimed re-mastered audio for The Beatles' 14 stereo titles, as well as all of the re-mastered CDs' visual elements, including 13 mini-documentary films about the studio albums, replicated original UK album art, rare photos and expanded liner notes.

A specially designed Flash interface has been installed, and the 16GB USB's audio contents will be provided in FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats, fully compatible with PC and Mac.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 14, 2009 00:18

Will this device work/play on a Home Theater set up or only on Computers?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 14, 2009 00:33

I assume by "24-bit FLAC" Pauly's talking about 24-bit/96kHz which is ALREADY a thing of the past smoking smiley

Why not offer files in 24-bit/192kHz PCM format to DL?
THIS is the real deal (ask Neil Young, HE knows)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-14 00:41 by dcba.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 14, 2009 01:27

Wasn't that a quote by Neil Young from '86?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 14, 2009 07:22

Ok, this seems very interesting. Please some tech head explain how this will sound better than the CDs.
It looks beautiful! I am intrigued.

Date: November 14, 2009 07:58

in a nutshell 24bit/96,0000hz has more digital information making the recordings sound much more as if. you were at abbey road studios listening to them. cds are limited to 16bit/44,000hz and can sound rather flat if not remastered properly which is why some people preffer vinyl lps instead of cds because vinyl, dvd audio, and bluray are not nearly as limited as cds

Date: November 14, 2009 08:02

Thank you kind sir. I think I would like an apple in my stocking!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 14, 2009 10:31

Looks like a very nice collectible anyway

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 14, 2009 15:19

"Please some tech head explain how this will sound better than the CDs"

I'm not but basically it all depends on the sampling rate (= the quality and definition) of the analog-to-digital transfert.

For CD technology you have a 16 bit 44.1 kHz rate : great in 1983, very poor today since modern analog-to-digital transfert machines allow a 24-bit/192kHz rate.

In computer language it means : 70 minutes of music transferred at 16 bit/44.1 kHz "weight" roughly 700 Mo whereas the same 70 minutes transferred at 24-bit/192kHz weight 50 GIGAS! Perfect for a blu-ray disc.

In other words it is like looking at a print of a document you've scanned at only 50 dpi.
Very poor results due to the low resolution of the scanning/analog-to-digital transfert. CD is the 50dpi scan of the music world. ANY cd is a betrayal of the original tape, NOT a digital clone.

Nobody would tolerate an obsolte 1983 technology in their 2009 life but with Cd they find it OK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-14 15:25 by dcba.

Date: November 14, 2009 16:04

dcba

Nobody would tolerate an obsolte 1983 technology in their 2009 life.

All those millions of people starving in Africa .... they don't even have cable TV and VCRs yet .... what are they thinking???

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 14, 2009 16:12

tatters
Toru A

dang that's cool...someone had their thinking cap on!!

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-14 22:56 by sweet neo con.

Date: November 14, 2009 17:04

sweet neo con
tatters
Toru A

dang that's cool...someone had their think cap on!!

The Stones are said to be working on a tongue-shaped USB drive at this very moment.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 14, 2009 22:47

dcba
Nobody would tolerate an obsolte 1983 technology in their 2009 life but with Cd they find it OK.

The human ear has a practical ceiling on perceivable improvements from a higher sample rate and greater bit depth. The Cd is very close to that ceiling for most.

Date: November 14, 2009 22:57

studiorambo
dcba

The human ear has a practical ceiling on perceivable improvements from a higher sample rate and greater bit depth. The Cd is very close to that ceiling for most.

So..I'll buy it for my dog.

Date: November 14, 2009 23:01

i'm not an audiophile in any way, heck it took me yrs to switch from cassette to cd i still listen to cassette in the truck because it's easier to change and dont worry about scratches i still use a sony minidisc instead of an mp3 player but i do admit that vinyl rips done at 24/96 sound better than ones at 16/44 but not to the point where i have to have all of my music that way

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 14, 2009 23:42

tatters
The Stones are said to be working on a tongue-shaped USB drive at this very moment.

Maybe it'll look something like this

Date: November 17, 2009 04:04

FYI: RESTORATION HARDWARE STORES offering special Remasters Boxed Set & Other Beatles stuff.

[www.restorationhardware.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 04:06 by sweet neo con.

Date: November 17, 2009 08:35

Wow! so that All Together Now is another amped up box set of their remasters. That looks very nice! The Apple UBS, I pre-ordered. It looks so cool, I have to have one:-)
Some great shirts too! Thanks for posing that site sweet neo con.

Date: November 17, 2009 11:11

"All those millions of people starving in Africa .... they don't even have cable TV and VCRs yet .... what are they thinking???"

I hope your 3026 other posts on IORR are above this level...
And talking about the Third World, it's not my fault if rich countried give dimes to Africa but sign big checks to their own banks.
You think your cd collection sounds great? That's fine by me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 11:15 by dcba.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 17, 2009 12:23

What's the point of 24/96 if you're using the cheap D/A converters embedded in mobile players with crappy earphones or computer soundboards ?

Probably the remastered CDs with a decent hifi CD player would sound better than most FLAC setups? Didn't they downsample 24/96 to 16/44 with high end Apogee dithering tools for these?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 17, 2009 22:07

gwen
What's the point of 24/96 if you're using the cheap D/A converters embedded in mobile players with crappy earphones or computer soundboards ?

Probably the remastered CDs with a decent hifi CD player would sound better than most FLAC setups? Didn't they downsample 24/96 to 16/44 with high end Apogee dithering tools for these?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Having said that, I just got the Stereo box set, and the sound is amazing.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 17, 2009 23:36

kovach
Having said that, I just got the Stereo box set, and the sound is amazing.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when talking about remasters on a good hifi setup... I'm getting the mono box (father christmas made a mistake) and am buying the missing stereos... they sound great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home