Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ladies and Gentlemen when?
Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 6, 2009 06:04

What is the forums gut feeling about us getting an official restored and remastered DVD/Blu-ray of 1972's Ladies and Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones?

I tend to think that it will happen, but I'm a little uncertain about the timeframe. There's definitely money in it, but for how much longer? I think if the rights to the project rested with a public company then the constant pressure to generate growth would bring it to the light of day. However the rights seem to rest with individuals or a family company, who don't quite follow the same corporate finance principles.

P.S. I just saw a TV spot for the 40th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! on some kind of US produced 5 minute entertainment news program. It showed part of Satisfaction with Jagger strutting and the Woodstock chick off to the side.

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen when?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 6, 2009 06:37

it will happen maybe as a part of the exile remaster next year with bonus material if we are lucky

Date: November 6, 2009 06:43

That would be great. Maybe that's why they chose to 'deluxe' Exile first when it's most probably an inferior choice to Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 6, 2009 08:45

why not wait till 2022 and the 50-anniversary of Exile. That's something to celebrate. I can't promise I'm alive and well then thou...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 6, 2009 12:29

Who owns the copyright to Ladies and Gentlemen?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 6, 2009 15:03

what you will get for l&g is a alternate nights video .they shot several nights worth of shows .so you wont get the infamous one thats out on boots .

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 6, 2009 15:11

studiorambo
What is the forums gut feeling about us getting an official restored and remastered DVD/Blu-ray of 1972's Ladies and Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones?

This is really getting technical and nit-picky, but when you're discussing the film itself, it is actually a 1974 release.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 6, 2009 15:33

The Greek
what you will get for l&g is a alternate nights video .they shot several nights worth of shows .so you wont get the infamous one thats out on boots .

-Says who? I bet it will be released in 2012 when the Stones mark their 50th anniversary, and the tour it's 40th anniversary. But who knows? Anything from the valuts is unfortunately pure bonus.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 6, 2009 17:13

studiorambo
P.S. I just saw a TV spot for the 40th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! It showed part of Satisfaction with Jagger strutting and the Woodstock chick off to the side.

WOODSTOCK CHICK?, you mean JANIS JOPLIN. Wow, do me a favor and get your music history down just a bit. Not knowing who JANIS JOPLIN is is like a painter that does abstracts/modern art not knowing who ANDY WARHOL was - UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 6, 2009 17:19

Janis looked great too....She never looked better...sad.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 6, 2009 17:20

HelterSkelter
studiorambo
P.S. I just saw a TV spot for the 40th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! It showed part of Satisfaction with Jagger strutting and the Woodstock chick off to the side.

WOODSTOCK CHICK?, you mean JANIS JOPLIN. Wow, do me a favor and get your music history down just a bit. Not knowing who JANIS JOPLIN is is like a painter that does abstracts/modern art not knowing who ANDY WARHOL was - UNBELIEVABLE !!!

smileys with beer

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 6, 2009 17:31

loog droog
studiorambo

This is really getting technical and nit-picky, but when you're discussing the film itself, it is actually a 1974 release.

yes that is nit picky....it is a reference to the '72 performance..not the year the movie makers released it to the public.

I;ve only seen L&G once (while in college)..I'd love to see a restored version.
I have no idea who owns the rights or if will ever be released but.....not getting my hopes up
that it will be part of the exile package. if it is..that will be a pleasant surprise.

re: Blu-Ray

general question I don't own Blu-Ray equip but.....to what degree is Blu-Ray video enhanced?
Afterall.....it can only be as good as the original source (at its best). right? Or do they have ways of
reducing the graininess of film etc.... Side by side...is there a huge difference between dvd & blu-ray...when
talking about older footage shot on film? There's obviously a difference with things that were filmed
more recently in HD etc....

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 6, 2009 18:10

The Greek

Doubt it. The released L&G movie is a rarity in itself. The vast majority of Stones fans have never seen it and many are probably even unaware of its existence.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 6, 2009 18:16

Outtakes from the shows would be great i.e. all four shows on another two DVDs.

Date: November 6, 2009 19:07

I would just add that the LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Boot that comes in a 4 pack with CS BLUES/MARQUEE CLUB/PARIS 76 (on the Stones back pages - maybe page 4 or 5) on Amazon US. is really excellent quality. I would give it a 9.5 or lowest, a 9 (same with MARQUEE CLUcool smiley. You get a choice of Full or Wide screen, there's outtakes. I have a pretty big big screen and it looks great on there. Would an official release look and sound better? Yes it would, but just slightly. Since L and G may never come out officially, I would go with the boot (as I did about a year ago)

I also have the same question as SNC. How much better is Blu - Ray? Haven't made the leap (yet) and am wondering if it's worth it and will it survive.... My 1080p HD picture through the BIG SCREEN/DIRECTV looks like a million bucks, so clear, any sharper/clearer and I'm gonna think it's a window... I can't see Blu - Ray being THAT much better than ultimate HD - is it??

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: November 6, 2009 20:55

Why should it be official released when you can get it on boot dvd in almost perfect quality?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 6, 2009 21:21

Gazza
The Greek

Doubt it. The released L&G movie is a rarity in itself. The vast majority of Stones fans have never seen it and many are probably even unaware of its existence.
Gazza, remember the thread about the new universal release of exile ,and there was some dude from universal that said they would have a DELUXE edition with the original remastered exile plus outtakes and then a dvd of one of the other nights footage of l&g and a companion audio cd to go along with ? this is where i read about this .legally it's doable?

Date: November 6, 2009 22:33

Haha, sorry about my abstract reference to Janis Joplin. I do know who she is, I just had a total mental block on her name when posting, and I thought everyone would know to whom I'm referring with "the Woodstock chick"...good enough for me and my Bobby Mcgee.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: November 6, 2009 22:37

Regarding the question earlier in this thread as to who owns this movie: In 1996 the film was shown in New York and Steve Gebhardt (producer) was there. I asked him if ABKCO owns the rights to this and he said that The Stones own the film.

Date: November 6, 2009 22:42

No problemo studio rambo - thanks for the explanation

Good question Steffiestones

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: November 6, 2009 23:45

Why should it be official released when you can get it on boot dvd in almost perfect quality?

Agree with Steffie, lets see something new...

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: November 6, 2009 23:51

Depending on how many cameras were in use for the filming of the movie, I'd like to see Ladies and Gentleman...The Rolling Stones re-edited so that the focus of the film isn't so overwhelmingly on Jagger. I'd really like to see more of Mick Taylor and Keith Richards guitar work during the instrumental sequences rather than watching Jagger leaping around and replacing what could have been some fascinating looks at the string-bending techniques/fretwork. I'd also like to see more of the drumming from Charlie Watts as well.

Date: November 7, 2009 00:48

Bitch2

Agree with Steffie, lets see something new...

Probably because most people out there (and most Stones fans for that matter) dont collect bootlegs

Date: November 7, 2009 00:50

The Greek
Gazza
The Greek

Gazza, remember the thread about the new universal release of exile ,and there was some dude from universal that said they would have a DELUXE edition with the original remastered exile plus outtakes and then a dvd of one of the other nights footage of l&g and a companion audio cd to go along with ? this is where i read about this .legally it's doable?

Last thing I read there was nothing confirmed about what would be on this release. Its still SEVERAL months away, and has already been postponed at least once, which would suggest that the content still hasnt been finalised in any way.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: November 7, 2009 00:56

from what I understand certain Rolling Stones are still to be interviewed
for the Documentary that will be included with the Project, I'm excited with
what may be happening & that they are really serious about doing it Right

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 7, 2009 10:08

>> I'd really like to see more of Mick Taylor and Keith Richards guitar work during the instrumental sequences
rather than watching Jagger leaping around <<

smile: i concur! it's one of the perils of being in a two-guitar band, though:
most film crews don't have a clue who's playing what, so they film someone's butt instead.

in 1972 film equipment was pretty cumbersome/intrusive, though, so i wonder how much alternative footage there is.
i also sometimes have the impression that film crews were shy of Keith in the 70s -
not afraid, exactly, but ... hm, wary of intruding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-07 14:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2009 13:33

This thread:

[www.iorr.org]

gives a good indication that there WILL BE an official release of LG.

The Promotone - who owns the rights to the film - has started cleaning the youtube out of LG material. The great UrbanSteel - who has pleased all of us here with his incredible stuff - is the victim of this action...

- Doxa

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 8, 2009 05:33

makes sense.

it's an easy kill to make money from a film already done....no effort from anyone.

and easy to slug the consumer extra $$ also...

I'd be extremely surprised if they threw the "extras" from L&G on this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home