Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did the Stones ever me(e)t Elvis Presley ?
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 1, 2009 21:55

I've never heard neither about the Stones attending Elvis Presley 'concerts ,nor Presley going to a Stones show .... No reviews...

Apart from this :

[www.pauldunoyer.com]

Afternoon tea with Mick Jagger

Posted on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 Category: Music Journalism

In 2001 I was asked by Mojo magazine to meet Mick Jagger. He was in a room of a London hotel overlooking Hyde Park, where of course The Rolling Stones had played more than 30 years before. He was promoting a solo album called Goddess In The Doorway, but I naturally tried to broaden our discussion. The magazine especially wanted some quotes from him on the great Stones albums Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers. They also wanted him to nominate a hero - he chose Chuck Berry - and explain his reasons. He is an affable interviewee, though adept at dismissing inconvenient subjects. I think he rather enjoys these little games of evasion. Whenever he dodged a question, his eyes twinkled merrily from somewhere deep inside the amazing crevices of his face.
For Mojo's purposes we sub-divided the interview to fit in several different issues. Here it is together, plus some unused material.

I never met Elvis either, because John Lennon once told me he was a real disappointment. So I said I’d take his advice, because I’d already had it with Chuck Berry and I didn’t want it to happen again with Elvis. Though now, of course, I wish I had met Elvis, you know what I mean? You never think, Oh he’s gonna die soon, I’d better hurry up and meet him. Because in those days he wasn’t very old. If nothing else, you’d still be able to talk about it, wouldn’t you? It would be awful if I’d never met Chuck Berry, after listening to his things over all those years.

What do you think ?

When did Elvis Presley play in NY for instance in the 70's while the Stones were in the city ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Did the Stones ever me(e)t Elvis Presley ?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:13

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-01 22:14 by Amused.

Date: November 1, 2009 22:24

Amused
x

What ???

x means you've edited your post or just a kiss at the end of a post/mail ?? grinning smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:38

SwayStones
I've never heard neither about the Stones attending Elvis Presley 'concerts ,nor Presley going to a Stones show .... No reviews...

What do you think ?

When did Elvis Presley play in NY for instance in the 70's while the Stones were in the city ?

Elvis played Madison Square Garden for four sold out shows from June 9-11 (2 shows on the 10th) in 1972. I reckon the Stones were doing gigs in California on these same nights. I would say the closest they got to bumping into each other at an airport or something in 1972 was at Chicago. Elvis played three shows across 16-17th of June at Chicago Stadium, while the Stones did the International Amphitheater for three shows across the 19-20th.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:40

According to people that worked for Elvis that I've spoken with, he wasn't a big fan of the Stones. I'm sure he would have been polite and would have met with them if it was arranged, but he wasn't going to seek them out. I mean, he had to be talked into meeting the Beatles. He just wasn't into the music scene all that much.

Date: November 1, 2009 22:52

Another point to add to this is that Elvis and Led Zeppelin had a particularly successful meeting backstage at an Elvis concert in LA in 1974. By all accounts it was greatly enjoyed by both sides, and Robert Plant often recalls how he and Elvis duetted to 'Love Me' an they were leaving down the hallway.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:48

various Stones have stated that they never met Elvis.
Ronnie went to one of his shows, though, when he was in the Faces

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 1, 2009 23:57

batcave
According to people that worked for Elvis that I've spoken with, he wasn't a big fan of the Stones. I'm sure he would have been polite and would have met with them if it was arranged, but he wasn't going to seek them out. I mean, he had to be talked into meeting the Beatles. He just wasn't into the music scene all that much.

I think he was very much into the music scene.
He didn't care for the 'british invasion' and the drug culture he assumed came with it.

His taste in US Country music and the Nashville sound was always with him and he had the finest industry players backing him.

That wasn't through not being into the music scene. HIs lack of interest in the Stones was probably more through apathy or opposition to the brit scene.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 2, 2009 00:00

Munichhilton
He didn't care for the 'british invasion' and the drug culture he assumed came with it.

Well, that sounds like Elvis doesn't it! He sure didn't like them drugs, it was peanutbutter sandwiches that did him in....

Mathijs

Date: November 2, 2009 00:19

His taste in US Country music and the Nashville sound was always with him and he had the finest industry players backing him.

That wasn't through not being into the music scene. HIs lack of interest in the Stones was probably more through apathy or opposition to the brit scene.

He listened to country because it was the music of his youth, just as r&b and gospel was. However, his knowledge of current rock music whether from England, San Francisco or L.A. was limited as he just didn't listen to it. Even his meeting with Zeppelin was more about the fact that they shared the same road management who set up the meeting then it was that he was a big fan of Led Zeppelin II. You'll notice that when he did cover a song by another current artist, i.e. Proud Mary, it was generally what the big hit was at the time and not a song from deep in the catalog. He would just do what was popular because he knew that the audience would be familiar with it and enjoy his version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 00:21 by batcave.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 2, 2009 00:42

SwayStones
What do you think ?

No. Elvis never met any of them. He never met Dylan either, and The Beatles just once (at his home in Bel Air in August 1965).

He did meet Zep in LA as mentioned above - and legend has it, they offered to be his 'house band'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 00:43 by Gazza.

Date: November 2, 2009 11:28

Thanks to all for your anwers.

Concerning Led Zep & Presley ,I 've found out this for further details.

On May 11, 1974, Led Zeppelin attended (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham) Elvis Presley's evening concert at the Los Angeles Forum. During the concert, Elvis stopped a song and jokingly said: 'Wait a minute... If we can start together fellas, because we've got Led Zeppelin out there... let's try to look like we know what we're doing, whether we do or not'.

Their mutual promoter at the time, Jerry Weintraub, took Jimmy Page and Robert Plant up to Presley's Las Vegas hotel suite. For the first few minutes, Elvis ignored them.

Jimmy Page—who had first picked up a guitar after hearing 'Baby Let's Play House' on overseas radio—began to fidget. What was going on? Did he really want to meet them? Should they say something? Elvis finally turned to them. 'Is it true', he said, 'these stories about you boys on the road?' Plant answered, 'Of course not. We're family men. I get the most pleasure out of walking the hotel corridors, singing your songs'. Plant offered his best Elvis impersonation. 'Treat me like a fool, treat me mean and cruuuuel, but looooove me...'. For a moment Elvis Presley eyed them both very carefully. Then he burst out laughing. Then his bodyguards burst out laughing. For two hours he entertained them in his suite. He had never heard their records, he said, except for when his stepbrother played him 'Stairway to Heaven'. 'I liked it', said Presley. Later, walking down the hallway from the hotel room, Page and Plant congratulated themselves on a two-hour meeting with the King. 'Hey', came a voice from behind them. Presley had poked his head out the door. 'Treat me like fooool...'.

[www.elvis.com.au]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 2, 2009 16:54

He might have liked Dread Zeppelin:

[www.dreadzeppelin.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 2, 2009 18:11

batcave

He listened to country because it was the music of his youth, just as r&b and gospel was. However, his knowledge of current rock music whether from England, San Francisco or L.A. was limited as he just didn't listen to it. Even his meeting with Zeppelin was more about the fact that they shared the same road management who set up the meeting then it was that he was a big fan of Led Zeppelin II. You'll notice that when he did cover a song by another current artist, i.e. Proud Mary, it was generally what the big hit was at the time and not a song from deep in the catalog. He would just do what was popular because he knew that the audience would be familiar with it and enjoy his version.

Those are excellent points.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 2, 2009 18:54

as far as elvis meeting led zepplin .the brought the band over to elvis place in L.A..it was daytime elvis had the windows all covered up no sunshine,and was watching cartoons when i believe it was john paul jones and robert plant were brought over to meet the king .the first thing they notice is the king is watching cartoons in his pajamas it was like 4 or 5 in the afternoon .so they exchange pleasentries and the king notices jonesy wearing a mickey mouse watch and he asks to check it out which jonesy promptly hands it over to the king who is quite taken with it .the king then hands jonesy his gold ROLEX to a bemused jonesy and the rest is history .led zepplin were in L.A. playing the forum on one of there extended runs and i wanna say it was 1972 .courtesy of the book by the name HAMMER OF THE gods.very good read if you can get your hands on a copy circa 1982

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 2, 2009 22:00

Elmo Lewis
He might have liked Dread Zeppelin:

[www.dreadzeppelin.com]

Dread Zeppelin!! they were hilarious. haven't hought about DZ in years! thanks Elmo

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 3, 2009 00:02

The Greek
as far as elvis meeting led zepplin .the brought the band over to elvis place in L.A..it was daytime elvis had the windows all covered up no sunshine,and was watching cartoons when i believe it was john paul jones and robert plant were brought over to meet the king .the first thing they notice is the king is watching cartoons in his pajamas it was like 4 or 5 in the afternoon .so they exchange pleasentries and the king notices jonesy wearing a mickey mouse watch and he asks to check it out which jonesy promptly hands it over to the king who is quite taken with it .the king then hands jonesy his gold ROLEX to a bemused jonesy and the rest is history .led zepplin were in L.A. playing the forum on one of there extended runs and i wanna say it was 1972 .courtesy of the book by the name HAMMER OF THE gods.very good read if you can get your hands on a copy circa 1982

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 3, 2009 00:14

oops,i meant to add this with the qoute of the greeks post-i dont doubt that story is in stephen davis's book hammer of the gods since like everything the fcking hack writes its stolen from someones elses work.in this case the zeps road manager richard coles book "stairway to heaven".cole was with the band when they went to the show and when they partied with elvis later.just like his book about the stones"old gods almost dead"-almost dead?liver than you'll ever be punk.anyone on this site could do stephen davis's work by reading other peoples books and reading old magazine articles.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 3, 2009 15:20

lem motlow
oops,i meant to add this with the qoute of the greeks post-i dont doubt that story is in stephen davis's book hammer of the gods since like everything the fcking hack writes its stolen from someones elses work.in this case the zeps road manager richard coles book "stairway to heaven".cole was with the band when they went to the show and when they partied with elvis later.just like his book about the stones"old gods almost dead"-almost dead?liver than you'll ever be punk.anyone on this site could do stephen davis's work by reading other peoples books and reading old magazine articles.
good memory when i was posting this yesterday i could not remember richard cole's name as he was the road manager that set up the meeting and went with them to see the king

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 3, 2009 18:22

lem motlow

Cole's book came out about ten years after Hammer of the Gods, so there's no way Stephen Davis stole anything from Cole's book. In fact, I found Cole's book to be pretty much a regurgitation of Hammer of the Gods, and not nearly as well written. Hammer of the Gods is one of my favorite rock books ever. I wouldn't say Davis stole any of the material in it. He did a lot of research, including magazine articles others had written, but he cited all his sources as far as I know.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 3, 2009 22:10

For what it's worth I remember stories of Eric Clapton and his band on his come back Tour of 1974 doing a show in Memphis.

EC and Band were invited to one of Elvis's movie nights at a near by theater that Elvis would rent out. EC and everyone in his band were really stoked to have the chance to meet the King but evidently the King did not pay much attention to EC.

Date: November 3, 2009 22:20

1cdog
For what it's worth I remember stories of Eric Clapton and his band on his come back Tour of 1974 doing a show in Memphis.

EC and Band were invited to one of Elvis's movie nights at a near by theater that Elvis would rent out. EC and everyone in his band were really stoked to have the chance to meet the King but evidently the King did not pay much attention to EC.

" Who the f uck is Eric Clapton ? Goddamn limousines ! Why does he have to bring a f uckin' limousine to a movie theater ?"

[www.elvis.com.au]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2009 22:42

Why does he have to bring a f uckin' limousine to a movie theater ?"

....cause his rickshaw runner had a f uckin' really sore ankle ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 3, 2009 22:51

SwayStones
1cdog

" Who the f uck is Eric Clapton ? Goddamn limousines ! Why does he have to bring a f uckin' limousine to a movie theater ?"

[www.elvis.com.au]

SwayStones, thanks for the link/story!

Date: November 3, 2009 23:05

1cdog

To elaborate further on E and EC, the first time they were introduced by one of E's minders, E either not knowing EC as a guitar player of some renown, or as demonstration of his dry sense of humor, said that he had a pretty good lead guitarist in his group (James Burton) and could arrange him to show EC a few things if he wanted.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 3, 2009 23:58

Gazza
SwayStones
What do you think ?

No. Elvis never met any of them. He never met Dylan either, and The Beatles just once (at his home in Bel Air in August 1965).

He did meet Zep in LA as mentioned above - and legend has it, they offered to be his 'house band'.

Aw shucks...and there was I thinking that Dylan went to see the gypsy to get his fortune read.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: November 4, 2009 01:00

There is a print interview with Mickfrom the late 70's. Where he was asked what the biggest disappointment in his career was and he responded " I never met Elvis"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2009 01:11

Silver Dagger
Gazza
SwayStones
What do you think ?

Aw shucks...and there was I thinking that Dylan went to see the gypsy to get his fortune read.

That song 'Went to see the Gypsy' is widely rumoured to be about Bob going to see Elvis in Vegas, but they never met and I dont think Bob even went to see Elvis perform there.

Date: November 4, 2009 01:16

Gazza

That song 'Went to see the Gypsy' is widely rumoured to be about Bob going to see Elvis in Vegas, but they never met and I dont think Bob even went to see Elvis perform there.

Elvis had a particularly outrageous jumpsuit that he wore regularly on tour in July '75 and in Vegas in August and December '75 that was known as the Gypsy suit.

Date: November 4, 2009 01:27

Gazza
Silver Dagger
Gazza
SwayStones
What do you think ?

Dylan was at one of Elvis' shows at Madison Square Garden in 1972.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home