Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Help on playing Satisfaction from Gimmie Shelter
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 28, 2010 20:46

Hello all,
I watched Gimmie Shelter last night. For me, that version of Satisfcation that they play is in my top 10 all time favorite song list. I am curious to learn how KR is playing his part.

I see MT looks like he is playing stadard open chords biut Kr is playing up further on the neck. I also see that he play's his Ampeg and his Les Paul ..is that editing 2 different versions?

Anyway..Can someone assist me with Keith''s piece of this song. Is he in a different tuning, etc?

Thank you!

Re: Help on playing Satisfaction from Gimmie Shelter
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:09

It's essentially the same riff/lick as Dancing With Mr D and The Beatles' Day Tripper (for some reason I always call that song State Trooper for some reason).

The actual lick that is famous is played an octave up.

Dunno if that helps. I have yet to get the reissue. It always pissed me off that I had to watch Gimme Shelter to listen to the best live version of Satisfaction ever and it's not on the damn live album.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:35

Cafaro, Keith is playing a variation of the riff skipstone mentions off the 7th fret E chord. Mick Taylor plays a similar riff in the first position. Keith primarily used the Dan Armstrong in standard tuning for this song but as I recall from the Ya Yas DVD he used the ES-355 too. I'm not so sure he used an LP though as those were tuned to open G. I think that is just bad editing. I wish I could tab it out for you but I don't have the means to do so. I need to think about how to best describe what he is doing and write it out but right now I don't have a guitar in front of me.

Cafaro, I know you want to learn the songs you have been asking about as quickly as possible but one of the things learning to play guitar teaches you, or should teach you,is patience. Sometimes it takes multiple listens and seemingly endless repetition to get a song or a riff right but when you do the effort is worth it. Almost every guitarist goes through the same thing, even those with a natural aptitude. Hang in there, keep playing and be patient!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-28 22:52 by ChrisM.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: May 29, 2010 00:49

Satisfaction Rock Band has a great version also- probably can you tube to hear it- it is on the Ya-Ya's deluxe... i can't afford the ya-ya's deluxe. All i want is the EP from it. If anyone is selling their set let me know.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 29, 2010 01:14

bigmac are you looking for the 5 extra songs from Ya-Ya's? drop me a mail!

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 29, 2010 18:38

Cafaro , you are on some journey my friend!! i undertook the same journey many years ago (havent arrived yet) good luck and enjoy!! let us know how you get on.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 29, 2010 21:04

The counter-riffs Taylor and Richards play in the '69 version of Satisfaction are amazing. They varied it quite a bit, from performance to performance, as you can see on the Ya-Yas DVD. The version in Gimme Shelter is superior in my opinion, from a guitar perspective. Keith only really plays the main riff from the record to beign and end the song. In between they are off the the races! THIS IS WEAVING!

Date: May 29, 2010 22:15

Thanks all,
chrism, I taught myself the "standard" statisfaction becuase it was easy. Simple, commonly played open chords and a simple riff. I get lost when someone plays a variation of an E chord on the 7th fret of B string. My ears arent there yet.

I learn best by having people show or tell me something and then I can go from there. Such as it was with Happy.

So any way,with skipstone's help I have been able to figure out what I needed to do.So thank you Skipstone.

I agree 71 Tele.The more I listen to it, the more I am amazed by that version. Even the little breaks after Mick sings "No No No" and KR and MT do those nasty bends. I have been working on those for 3 days just trying to make my bends sound as wonderfully nasty as theirs do.

Thank you all for your help!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 29, 2010 23:09

<< Even the little breaks after Mick sings "No No No" and KR and MT do those nasty bends. >>

The best part!

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: May 29, 2010 23:30

I've always liked the way Keith played this during the 69 tour. Especially during Taylor's solo, he plays the first part of the main riff, then slams some sort of D chord 3-4 times and then walks his way back to E and the beginning again.

Anyone know what chords/notes he's playing here?

Date: May 29, 2010 23:32

Crackinup
I've always liked the way Keith played this during the 69 tour. Especially during Taylor's solo, he plays the first part of the main riff, then slams some sort of D chord 3-4 times and then walks his way back to E and the beginning again.

Anyone know what chords/notes he's playing here?

That's the stuff I'm trying to figure out as well. You really can't watch it on the movie becuase everything moves fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home