Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Michael and Mick State of shock
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 22, 2009 01:22

I did not know it was originally recorded with Freddie Mercury.

Any more informations about the recording session with Jagger (venue, date, outtake ?)
I have the 7" but not the extended digital remaster.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 01:23 by toomuchforme.

Re: Michael and Mick State of shock
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 22, 2009 02:24

Freddie Mercury wrote it!
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 22, 2009 03:10

Here's the deal. MJ wanted Mick to fly to LA to record his part. Mick said "I am not flying 3,000 miles to record with MJ, so if you want me to do it, I'll record my part and send it to you, otherwise forget it". So it goes MJ sent the tapes, Mick recorded his part and the rest is HISTORY.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 22, 2009 04:13

You're shure they didn-t sing/record together?
So how come these stories (true!) of Jackson complaining about Mick's singing in detail?
And Mick bitching about M.Jackson's personality?

Anyway, they didn't work good together!
Jackson would have certainly prefered the Queen . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 04:18 by CousinC.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 22, 2009 04:47

Second worst thing Jagger has done.

Let's Work being the first, of course.

Posted by: dtklamf ()
Date: September 22, 2009 04:49

Actually I think his version with Tina in Live Aid was pretty good.
Classic Jagger,,,

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 06:47

in highschool i was very anti michael jackson but would listen to this song because mick was on it but wasn't the song done by the jacksons and not mj solo?

Date: September 22, 2009 06:57

The one with Tina was good. Certainly much better than the one with Whacko.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2009 10:36

I belong to to the minority here but I like "State of Shock". It's a nice dance number with a strong riff. Compared to Jackson's duets with McCartney - soft ballads - I think Jagger gets his 'persona' great through. One dimension of Mick. Despite their differences I think Mick is nowadays glad that he did that duet with Michael; it is really a part of history now, and will be most likely his most listened "solo" effort in future... In fact, it was a top three hit in US - so that's his biggest chart position in US outside the Stones (In UK he topped the charts with Bowie duet)...

One thing that I think is a kind of 'historical loss' is that they never did a video for it - it was the golden age of video time, and both Mick and Michael were so fascinated of the 'new' media. Why was that? Bad personal relationship? No time? Michael's Pepsi accident? Anyway, it would have been nice to see them performing together (nowadays when the song is in youtube it is just Jackson, Jackson, Jackson... an image loss for Mick...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 10:41 by Doxa.

Date: September 22, 2009 10:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 10:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 14:08

I, too, like this song, and in fact only own the Jacksons' Victory album because of it. It was indeed recorded with the full Jacksons (all 6 of them), not just MJ alone. It's the only Jacksons' album I own, and only because of Mick's attachment.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 22, 2009 14:22

they should have made a video for this one

Date: September 22, 2009 14:45

VoodooLounge13
I, too, like this song, and in fact only own the Jacksons' Victory album because of it. It was indeed recorded with the full Jacksons (all 6 of them), not just MJ alone. It's the only Jacksons' album I own, and only because of Mick's attachment.

Heh, I also own a league of albums solely due a Rolling Stone presence...the weirdest them is probably Don Johnson's (yep, that Miama Vice guy) solo album...

- Doxa

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 22, 2009 15:39

which leads an ignorant roofless building to ask ......

'what is the Stones' connection with Don Johnson?'

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 22, 2009 16:10

Don't know about the Stones, but Don Johnson wrote a song the Allman Brothers Band recorded.

Date: September 22, 2009 17:29

Four Stone Walls
which leads an ignorant roofless building to ask ......

'what is the Stones' connection with Don Johnson?'

Tough trivia but Ronnie "I also contributed in the 80's" Wood played in Don's album...It was the late 80's; we all were a bit confused by then, though...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 17:30 by Doxa.

Date: September 22, 2009 21:09

The Mick/Michael recording is funny. Mick is top notch hilarious on it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2009 00:50

21stcenturystones
Here's the deal. MJ wanted Mick to fly to LA to record his part. Mick said "I am not flying 3,000 miles to record with MJ, so if you want me to do it, I'll record my part and send it to you, otherwise forget it". So it goes MJ sent the tapes, Mick recorded his part and the rest is HISTORY.

not true they were both in the same studio and Jacko was appaled by how MJ managed to sing his parts a semi-tone off >grinning smiley<

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 23, 2009 01:51

Doxa
I belong to to the minority here but I like "State of Shock". It's a nice dance number with a strong riff. Compared to Jackson's duets with McCartney - soft ballads - I think Jagger gets his 'persona' great through. One dimension of Mick. Despite their differences I think Mick is nowadays glad that he did that duet with Michael; it is really a part of history now, and will be most likely his most listened "solo" effort in future... In fact, it was a top three hit in US - so that's his biggest chart position in US outside the Stones (In UK he topped the charts with Bowie duet)...

One thing that I think is a kind of 'historical loss' is that they never did a video for it - it was the golden age of video time, and both Mick and Michael were so fascinated of the 'new' media. Why was that? Bad personal relationship? No time? Michael's Pepsi accident? Anyway, it would have been nice to see them performing together (nowadays when the song is in youtube it is just Jackson, Jackson, Jackson... an image loss for Mick...)

- Doxa

I am right there with you, I always liked this song. I was never an M. Jackson fan but thought this was a great rockin' pop song. Did M. Jackson ever rock harder?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2009 03:27

dcba
21stcenturystones

not true they were both in the same studio and Jacko was appaled by how MJ managed to sing his parts a semi-tone off >grinning smiley<

You are correct. 'How did HE get to be a star' was his reported reaction.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 23, 2009 05:17

skipstone
Second worst thing Jagger has done.

Let's Work being the first, of course.

i gotta agree...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2009 06:58

OCALA - Mick Jagger didn't hesitate when Michael Jackson told the Rolling Stones singer to warm up his vocal cords before recording their duet "State of Shock" in 1983.

It was a classic recording session a year after "Thriller" had cemented Jackson's reputation as the King of Pop, according to an Ocala resident who worked alongside Jackson for two decades.

"Mick didn't hesitate," said Bruce Swedien, who recorded and mixed many Jackson albums, including "Off the Wall" and "Thriller" - considered among the best all time.

"By then, everyone knew how good Michael was," he continued. "If Michael Jackson says warm up, you warm up - even if you are Mick Jagger."

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2009 09:36

If you really want to put into perspective what Ronnie did with Don Johnson, read his book and then add cocaine. It all makes sense.

However, Don's album doesn't reflect that. It's just pure shit.

Date: September 23, 2009 11:08

skipstone
If you really want to put into perspective what Ronnie did with Don Johnson, read his book and then add cocaine. It all makes sense.

However, Don's album doesn't reflect that. It's just pure shit.

Hmm.. that's what I thought. Never listened to the album...

- Doxa

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 23, 2009 11:39

i can't picture jackson telling mick what to do

Posted by: ride on baby ()
Date: September 23, 2009 11:49

toomuchforme

I have the 7" but not the extended digital remaster.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I have the 7" & 12" version but where I can find "extended digital remaster"?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 23, 2009 12:35

here

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: ride on baby ()
Date: September 23, 2009 12:46

toomuchforme
here

Seen this...is the same of 12" version but i'm looking for:

There's also an Extended Dance Mix (5:41) - also digitally remastered available - with features an acappella passage at the end of the song (when the song reaches its climax).

Maybe in some Jackson 5 Victory cd remaster as "bonus"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home