Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith, Mick, Bill, Charlie & Taylor Interviews in Oz 1973
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 17, 2009 01:17

Hope it aint posted before.. ?

nterview with Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones at Montsalvat, Victoria by Gary Hyde, Ep 618. Broadcast 27th February 1973.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-17 01:24 by Baboon Bro.

Re: Keith Interview in Oz 1973
Date: September 17, 2009 01:19

Couple of days after Taylor got interviewed

Re: Keith Interview in Oz 1973
Date: September 17, 2009 01:20

Glimmer Twins

Re: Keith, Mick & Taylor Interviews in Oz 1973
Date: September 17, 2009 01:23

Good ol' Charlie.. In-between, date-wise..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-17 01:23 by Baboon Bro.

Date: September 17, 2009 01:24

Wyman first out.. Feb 26, 1973

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 17, 2009 01:24

Great stuff.

Did anyone notice that Keith inhales - and practically no
smoke is coming out again?

Re: Keith, Mick, Bill, Charlie & Taylor Interviews in Oz 1973
Date: September 17, 2009 01:27

PC'73 Feb 26

Gig Kooyong Feb 18

Date: September 17, 2009 01:27

More nice Oz hits beside those at the tube.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 17, 2009 01:29

.........Ahhhhhhhh thanks Bro .... 73' Aussie heat bought out the best in 'em
Can't help but feel sentimental watchin' all that stuff again....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 17, 2009 01:33

And you can feel Taylor´s starting frustration.

Date: September 17, 2009 01:35

Well, didnt comprehend at first it was yer area.. But after usin' Google Maps
I know it... Glad if ya appreciated it, ol' son.

Hope the 2010(-11?) tour will bring us together for a far far out party nite somewhere!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 17, 2009 01:54

These interviews are really great!

CBII

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 17, 2009 02:09

Geez we were an ugly lot back then.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 17, 2009 09:28

Thank you so much for posting these! I've never seen them.

Man, Keith and Mick T are so smacked! Keith is emotionally flatlining, just numb. If you doubt it, look away from the visually arresting video - and just listen to his voice. Yet, he still manages to be respectful to interviewer who's posing incredibly banal questions. And he seems self-aware enough to know that he's talking smack, like after the interviewer dogs him about something he just casually muttered about sentimentalism:

Keith: ...sentimentalism may be a lucrative road to travel - but I find it fogs up, it doesn't lead to clarity of thought....

Interviewer (backing Keith into a corner): Would you say a vital element of the Stones music is its clarity? in the images it presents?

Keith: uuhhh, I dunno....I just hope it isn't too sentimental. I hate to get too sentimental about too many things...

Interviewer: Would you say you have a fairly, sort of, dim view of the world?

Keith: No...I have a very bright view of the world. I don't know if the world has a very bright view of itself - I mean, that's their problem (cracking himself up, knowing that he's just blah blah blahing bullshit).

Did Keith smoke heroin? is that's what was going on with that suspicious "filtered cigarette" that Keith pulls on mercilessly until it's basically a roach and exhales almost nothing?

And what about the interviewer paraphrasing John Lennon's quote (from 2 years earlier) that the Stones "largely imitated the Beatles"? Keith seemed to take that bait, which kind of surprises me. I suspect he did so out of boredom more than anything else. Like it's far more interesting to backhand Lennon and run through the relative pros and cons of Stones/Beatles than it is to answer more questions about whether indeed a "vital element of the Stone's music is the clarity of its images" (jeesus! it must be horrible having to talk to journalists like this).

But still Keith's slight bitchiness surprises me because at that time weren't Keith and John hanging out as pals sometimes? and yet Keith really insults John in the most incisive and accurate way. He dismisses John as "John is...just a little...a little bitter. He always has been." And he's right as rain. Keith nails it as perfectly and as elegantly as one of his more crisp and subtle riffs. John's bitterness was what we love about him; but it was also his Achilles Heel. And Keith went for it. He was right. That interview (same as when John rags on Mick's "fag dancing" ) is...bitter.

I also watched Mick Taylor, and it's the longest I've ever heard/seen him speak. That was fabulous. What a gift to see these videos!

Mick T seemed a little lost even then. Lost as well as early signs of being resentful. One thing that can be said about Keith and Mick Jagger (and Brian for a long time): they were ambitious as hell. And, to me, this interview shows a man who may, in contrast, be somewhat fundamentally lacking in ambition. Meaning that sheer obsessive ruthless self-perpetuating drive. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But for many people who succeed as superstars...they're not always necessarily the very best at what they do (often they are) but unless they have great handlers and management, if they don't have fierce self-determination their talent often gets laid to waste.

But I don't know much about Mick T or his life. And in this video he's pinholed as all hell, scratching his arms, fidgeting, filled with "high-deas" about the future rather than plans. It must have been hard for him to imagine what a future would be, tho. Where he would go and what he'd do. It took the interviewer making suggestions before he says "Yeah...that's what I'd like to do..."

------------

Tomorrow I look forward to watching Charlie, whose interview in Charlie is My Darling ranks among my favorite interviews of any Stone ever. Cannot wait to see this one.

Thanks again for the treat!

~swiss

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 17, 2009 13:34

Thanks Baboon !Great memories !
What does Mick do with his hand on his mouth on the Montsalvat 73 video ?

It’s actually an amazing piece with the reporter offering some charming observations about the band..... Keith Richard, the “deadly nightshade”, won’t live until 70 and Bill Wyman will be the first to quit the Stones.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 17, 2009 13:35

The artist who found himself rolling in cash
February 23 2003
By Larry Schwartz

Picture: CRAIG SILLITOE
Artist Ian McCausland remembers "hanging out" with a rock legend.

Ian McCausland was taken aback 30 years ago when a postman made his way through long grass to his "hippie pad" in North Road, Brighton, to deliver a telegram summoning him to Sydney at the request of the Rolling Stones' Keith Richards.

The Melbourne artist had designed posters for the band's 1973 tour of Australia and New Zealand and had met the guitarist days earlier at the Montsalvat artists' colony at Eltham.

In Sydney, he spent two days with the band.

"Without telling tales out of school, I spent almost a complete day with Keith Richards. Just hanging out in his room," he said.

"The door was constantly being quietly knocked. The minder would open the door and usher somebody in. They would say, 'Ah man, I've been hanging on to this ever since I knew you guys were coming here. It's a gift from me.' And hand over a plastic bag of something."

Now 59, McCausland remembers when households were divided between Beatles and Stones fans. He has remained firmly in the latter camp.

When he was approached to do the Stones poster in 1972, he was asked for little more than to incorporate the band's logo, with Mick Jagger's pouting lips and tongue.

So impressed were they with a draft of a jet flying into the caricature of Jagger's mouth against the backdrop of the Australian continent that they asked him to do another for the New Zealand leg of the tour.

Drummer Charlie Watts also suggested he design the cover of their next album, Goat's Head Soup.

McCausland says he was paid $600 for each of the posters, with a $600 advance for the album cover. "I felt like a millionaire," he says. He used the money as a deposit on his first home in Upper Ferntree Gully. "It was the most money I'd ever made as an artist."

He mailed his design to their London office but is not sure it ever reached the band. In "those naive days", he says, he didn't keep a copy. "I have never found out what happened to it. It just disappeared somewhere."

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 18, 2009 00:30

Swiss, your commentary is brilliant.

Date: September 19, 2009 01:24

Yeah...good one for the next album: Flatlinin' in Fordyce
with Freddy

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: September 19, 2009 01:51

Thanks, very interesting. Never heard Mick Taylor talk before.

Posted by: Rubicon ()
Date: September 19, 2009 07:11

Thanks Baboon Bro, i grew up in Eltham, literally 3/4 minutes walk from Monsalvat. I used to wander around there regularly as a kid in the late 60's and early seventies. The day the Stones were being interviewed one of the neighborhood kids came running down the road screaming " the stones are at Monsalvat " anyway i ran like crazy to get there just as the limo's were driving out into Hillcrest rd and i saw them driving away...i almost cried

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home