Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Wyman:s Great Moments
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 12, 2009 06:27

Hello all,
I've been playing guitar for about 8 months now. I am trying to learn some KR "ways", trying to learn how to work with a rhythm section and another guitarist. In doing this, I have become more enamored of BW's bass playing than ever.

I would like to great some of your favorite BW moments. To get started, a few of mine are:

No Expectations
Respectable
Whip
Carol
It's not easy
Fight

Please feel free to add!

Re: Bill Wyman:s Great Moments
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 12, 2009 07:46

the entire '81 tour represented the zenith for bill with the stones...his swing and lyricism on tunes like whip, imagination, let me go, beast, she's so cold, let it bleed practically defined the band on that tour....

Date: September 12, 2009 07:54

In a way Bill's playing is as tricky and deceptive as keith and Charlie's playing. That reviewer in Mojo or Uncut recently said it best: "the Stones simply do not play their instruments like anyone else."
So what Bill does, and how it ends up working within the whole framework of the song are two different animals. He uses a lot of fifths, octaves and fourths. It is jujst when they are placed around Charlie's kick and snare, and Keith's syncopated chops that it swings like no one's business.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: September 12, 2009 09:31

Miss You.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2009 09:50

Bill's rock-truck rumble of I Wanna Be Your Man .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: September 12, 2009 13:02

Just off the top of my head

19th Nervous Breakdown, as it begins the end, the slide down ending in Charlie's crash.

Paint it Black, that sliding bass

2120 S Michigan Ave, great opening riff

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 12, 2009 16:27

the entire 1981 tour, what a great sound!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 12, 2009 19:58

19th Nervous Breakdown the end..........also he lays down some cool lines in Mother's Little Helper.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:03

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:05

we're running out of Stones-related topics to discuss!!! have we covered what kind of underwear they wear?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:15

@#$%&
we're running out of Stones-related topics to discuss!!! have we covered what kind of underwear they wear?

yeah i never thought Bill had any great moments only Keith on bass had the great ones.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:21

To be fair though, the link that slasaujes posted above is a few years old but the quantity of Stones related topics is finite and just about anything that can be said about the Stones has been covered here, at least until the start to record and tour again so I don't see anything wrong with reviving old topics.

Now to the topic at hand, I'm with Tod and Rik on the 1981 tour. Bill's playing was phenominal. His counter melody, phrasing and interplay with Charlie and Keith on "Under My Thumb" are a prime example of what made the Stone's sound unique. Another eample would be his playing on "Satisfaction" where he does not echo the main riff but plays against it. Amazing stuff really.I would also add to this list his playing on "Get Yer Ya Yas Out". There again his interplay with Keith and Charlie defined the Stones sound. When Bill, Charlie and Keith were on, magic happend, the kind of which cannot be duplicated. Come back ya bastard!

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 12, 2009 22:25

if you listen to wyman on ya's ya's and some other quality boot's,he is a very good bass player.just does'nt get much credit.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 12, 2009 22:54

His great sense of punctuation, especially those high register, little pirouette-like runs on SCB, Ya-Ya's version. The 1981 tour throughout.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: September 13, 2009 04:11

81 is the tour that gets mentioned, but IMO his playing is actually "better" through 69 and 72/73. In 81 he was heard better because he played that Steinberger, and tempos were up and Charlie played very straight. It was their first serious stadium tour, so they might have made a conscious decision to streamline the songs.
His playing is sort of repetitive.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2009 04:17

The middle eight in 'Miss You'. In fact, the bassline in that entire song is what makes it a great record.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 13, 2009 07:49

the pulsating throb of MR on GYYYO

Date: September 13, 2009 16:38

straycatuk
the pulsating throb of MR on GYYYO
Agreed 1000%; that shuffling gallop they settle into before going into the slow part is something else. It is just perfection; all four of them. This is where Taylor IMO also shines. In 69 I liked his chord strumming a lot. I can't quite call it rhythm playing (that is what Keith does), but Taylor fit into groove perfectly. He did it just right.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2009 16:41

Either the "toothpaste trick" or his first time with Mandy.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 13, 2009 17:08

I find it difficult to pinpoint any great moments as such.

Instead, I'm happy to dwell upon the many years in which he fattened up the Stones sound by being part of a truly magnificent (and unusually sounding) rhythm section.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 13, 2009 21:31

"@#$%& ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:05
we're running out of Stones-related topics to discuss!!! have we covered what kind of underwear they wear?"

Izzy...........if you don't like the topic, don;t read it.There is no need to be nasty.

I was simply ethusiastic about Bill's playing as I am looking at it in a diiferent light.

It's replies like yours that keeps me from posting and reading posts on the "Tell Me" part of the board. thank you for your input

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-13 21:39 by Cafaro.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 13, 2009 21:40

I guess Wyman stood out on the '81 tour, but he was consitently good throughout their career. Fabulous stuff on Handsome Girls ('78), and some really really excellent stuff in '72, on songs like Love in Vain, Rocks Off, Rambler, Sweet Virginia, etc.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 13, 2009 21:50

nasty? i was going for a comical effect. do you consider underwear nasty? wow.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 13, 2009 21:55

@#$%&
nasty? i was going for a comical effect. do you consider underwear nasty? wow.

depends who's wearing it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2009 22:10

Imagination

Miss You

the dive bomb bass run on 19th Nervous Breakdown

Dancing around the stage

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 13, 2009 23:09

Playing bass on Manassas 1st album. Very odd as he should have been playing on Exile but his bass parts on several songs were played by Keith, and jazz cat Bill Plumber. Bill said he would have considered leaving the Stones to join Manassas had they asked him.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 14, 2009 01:21

Silver Dagger
Playing bass on Manassas 1st album. Very odd as he should have been playing on Exile but his bass parts on several songs were played by Keith, and jazz cat Bill Plumber. Bill said he would have considered leaving the Stones to join Manassas had they asked him.
Then again, Bill wasn't too fond of some Manassas members' drug habits, and I believe the band folded fairly quickly. I'm glad Bill stayed in the Stones. smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 14, 2009 01:30

LieB
Silver Dagger
Then again, Bill wasn't too fond of some Manassas members' drug habits, and I believe the band folded fairly quickly. I'm glad Bill stayed in the Stones. smiling smiley

Then again, Bill wasn't too fond of some Manassas members' drug habits

Then again, it must be a difficult decision, Manassas or The Rolling Stones

Posted by: nanker's phelge ()
Date: September 14, 2009 04:22

correct me if I am wrong but didn"t he have problems with miss you at first ...and they had to take him out to the disco clubs to listen so he could cop the right feel[which he certainly did]

i think he was an integral part of the overall sound and without him it's just not the same

everytime the band lost or changed a memeber it got weaker with the exception being the addition of mick t

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 14, 2009 08:59

Live with me, or is that Keith playing?

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home