Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones songs (some) in public domain quite soon
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 11, 2009 16:26

what will happen then ? they'll keep the masters anyway but they will have to provide other outtakes and unreleased material to support the sales, no ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Re: Stones songs (some) in public domain quite soon
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: September 11, 2009 16:57

This goes by the 50 year law?
Does this means that the songs are up for grab for advertisers
and brands freely as long as they don't use the original version song
by the Stones?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 11, 2009 17:18

i believe i read somewhere that ABKCO has renewed the copyrights, so they won't be expiring that soon.
it's easily misunderstood territory, though, so ... so better wait for someone like Rocky Dijon or retired_dog

Date: September 12, 2009 00:17

with sssoul
i believe i read somewhere that ABKCO has renewed the copyrights, so they won't be expiring that soon.
it's easily misunderstood territory, though, so ... so better wait for someone like Rocky Dijon or retired_dog

I did not know it was possible. They said that for the Beatles it would be 2010 and this is one reason the remasters are out now to earn money just before.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 12, 2009 02:30

I'm seeing EU made product of Elvis's 1950's recordings appear in stores here alongside RCA/BMG/Sony product. I don't see why the owners should lose any rights to their recordings, especially over a period as short as 50 years. The US has extended the copyright period to 75 years, right? Also, I think I read that the EU is considering this too.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 12, 2009 04:21

50 years? - no way!
German copyright law grants protection for 70 years after the death of the author.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 12, 2009 10:03

smile: see what i mean? easily misunderstood territory

>> They said that for the Beatles it would be 2010 and this is one reason the remasters are out now<<

who is "they", though? and did "they" get the facts straight?
it could be that the timing of the re-releases is connected with renewing the copyrights -
for example to extend them to that 70-years-after-the-death-of-the-author(s) limit
which i think is standard now in Europe, isn't it?? maybe it's still under consideration, as studiorambo says
but i thought it was already standard. i hope someone like retired_dog and/or Rocky Dijon will pipe up -
they know a lot about this sort of thing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-12 17:59 by with sssoul.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Date: September 13, 2009 00:37

with sssoul
smile: see what i mean? easily misunderstood territory

>> They said that for the Beatles it would be 2010 and this is one reason the remasters are out now<<

who is "they", though? and did "they" get the facts straight?
it could be that the timing of the re-releases is connected with renewing the copyrights -
for example to extend them to that 70-years-after-the-death-of-the-author(s) limit
which i think is standard now in Europe, isn't it?? maybe it's still under consideration, as studiorambo says
but i thought it was already standard. i hope someone like retired_dog and/or Rocky Dijon will pipe up -
they know a lot about this sort of thing

[www.macworld.co.uk]

[arstechnica.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-13 00:38 by toomuchforme.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home