Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If The Stones Did Say This Is The Last Time
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 1, 2009 09:10

What do you think people would say? SURE! or YEAH RIGHT! Etc...

Right?

I think they would mean it if they said it. No 'Well we thought we'd have one more go at it' or some crock like that. Which would be responded to with probably dismal ticket sales yet alone record sales (in all mediums). I think they would (really meaning might) finally pull the plug on The Last Time. Undoubtedly AFTER they toured one more time, which ever time that maybe could be. I do believe they would not say "This tour will be the last time" but that they would decide, hit the road for 2 years and then just stop.

Just wondering. Nobody has mentioned this lately and with the wondering of what 2010 brings and all these rumours - I'm just starting to find it more difficult to believe. Especially if Mick is keeping an eye on US concert sales being so poor for Rod Stewart and Aerosmith, although what that (as well as other tours) would have to do with the Stones' audience I'm not really sure of.

Re: If The Stones Did Say This Is The Last Time
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 1, 2009 14:33

Realistically, I dont know why anyone with any basic knowledge of the band's history should be inclined to not believe it.

For all the justifiable flak they often get about being money obsessed, its to their credit that they've never once exploited the public by announcing or even hinting that any upcoming tour would be their last.

If they were to announce something like that, its pretty likely - due to age and infirmity - that they'd stick to it.

For what its worth, I dont think any of us will find out they've played their final show until some time after the event.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 1, 2009 15:03

definitely agree with that, they wouldn't be saying "well this will be the last time" !!

Date: September 4, 2009 00:01

That's what I was curious about - fan opinion, not the press or critics etc. There is always that possibility, though, that they could use that term. If they did, I hope they would stick to it, no bullshitting about with it like other bands that have said 'This is our last tour' and then do another 20 some years of very sporadic touring and one new album or whatever.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 4, 2009 00:12

If they quit they quit.

And for what they left me I have noting to complain if they stop (only they should organize a farewell party for us IORR fans).

Who else can say, more then 40 years I became a fan of the Rolling Stones and they still excist without stopping.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: September 4, 2009 00:17

I think they won´t quit..they will become inactive

Date: September 4, 2009 02:20

skipstone
That's what I was curious about - fan opinion, not the press or critics etc. There is always that possibility, though, that they could use that term. If they did, I hope they would stick to it, no bullshitting about with it like other bands that have said 'This is our last tour' and then do another 20 some years of very sporadic touring and one new album or whatever.

In a way thats a good thing. Its not like they're in a position to do a 'final' tour, take a lengthy sabbatical of 5-10 years and then 'change their minds'....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 4, 2009 02:46

i agree that they won't do a "farewell tour"......

as for other bands....it's one thing if they actually believe it's their last tour.
for example if Led Zeppelin or Paul McCartney said it..I'd believe it.
Heck I'd even believe it if the Black Crowes said. Some bands have more
credibility than others.

on the other hand, when a band (promoting the same album)
criss-crosses the nation twice (hitting the same cities multiple times.....and
then prior to the THIRD leg the lead singer hints that the band might be
retiring from the road...only to scare its fans into paying through the nose
one more time......that's disgusting Bono.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 4, 2009 03:55

that's been their approach in the past, where others have announced multiple farewell tours, they avoided that pitfall....however, as a marketing gimmick, they may need to resort to it this time.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: September 4, 2009 08:52

It's true they've never played the last tour card, but, they have manipulated the question of it very well. Every tour since at least, what, 89, they get asked if it's the last, and they never say yes, but they don't really say no either. Do they?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2009 09:00

Mick is probably touring with "The Stones" 2019 without Keith and Charlie like some Frank Sinatra...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: September 4, 2009 13:05

Maybe it is written on their contract they cannot quit... quitting means financial penalties or lack of royalties.

Why not ?

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: September 4, 2009 14:44

hopefully the stones never quit.

someone dies and thats it over.

thats the way it should be.

keith could die tonight meaning the stones finished in august 2007.

but it would be great if a surprise if all band members lived another 20 years.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 4, 2009 15:23

boogie69
It's true they've never played the last tour card, but, they have manipulated the question of it very well. Every tour since at least, what, 89, they get asked if it's the last, and they never say yes, but they don't really say no either. Do they?

Way before that.

After the '72 tour I remember hearing all around me "that's it, this is the last tour"...That never came from the band but from journalists, neighbors, barbers or whatever.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2009 20:22

Yes, but they weren't "retirement age" in 1972.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2009 20:23

If The Stones Did Say This Is The Last Time

I'd say "May be the last time, I don't know ........Oh, no".

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 4, 2009 20:29

the rolling stones will never announced that this "their last tour"no question about that.

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 5, 2009 08:55

If the Stones said This is the last time I'd have to take skipstone out over the Atlantic ocean in a helicopter, oh, let's say about 200 miles off shore, and push him out into the cold water..... then I'd throw him my Purple Vespa as a "Floatation Device". Sorry Skipper but that's just the way it's gonna have to be... you understand smiling smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 5, 2009 10:49

I also don't think that they will inform us in advance. If they did, I wouldn't mind, I would just make sure to see them as many times as possible on their final tour. But again - I don't believe we will know when it is gonna be the last time. Anyway, I would be really worried if they said "This is it" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-05 10:50 by Happy24.

Date: September 5, 2009 12:06

Oh I see Helter - it would be my fault that they would actually say that then.

You never know - I might have a rope tied to your shoe - I'd need someone to keep the sharks satisfied...

Date: September 5, 2009 15:32

boogie69

Oh, but they do say 'No'. They have said so every time.

Date: September 5, 2009 17:13

Elmo Lewis

They were in rock terms

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 5, 2009 17:18

sweet neo con
if Led Zeppelin or Paul McCartney said it..I'd believe it.

In 1997, when Linda was dying of cancer, Paul DID say he would never tour again. Guess he couldn't imagine ever going on the road without her, but life, and the road, goes on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-05 17:20 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 5, 2009 17:32

Elmo Lewis

The retirement age keeps changing. 1969 was, at the time, referred to as their "comeback" tour. It was believed they had done their farewell tour in '67. In '72, people thought "Wow, these guys are in their late 20s. That's really old to be playing rock and roll. This MUST be the last tour because there's no way they're gonna keep doing this after they turn 30. They're gonna have to find some other line of work to go into". And every tour after that just kept pushing the envelope of how old you CAN be and still play rock and roll. Now we're all saying "Wow, these guys are in their mid 60s. That's really old to be playing rock and roll."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2009 17:49

tatters
Elmo Lewis

The retirement age keeps changing. 1969 was, at the time, referred to as their "comeback" tour. It was believed they had done their farewell tour in '67. In '72, people thought "Wow, these guys are in their late 20s. That's really old to be playing rock and roll. This MUST be the last tour because there's no way they're gonna keep doing this after they turn 30. They're gonna have to find some other line of work to go into". And every tour after that just kept pushing the envelope of how old you CAN be and still play rock and roll. Now we're all saying "Wow, these guys are in their mid 60s. That's really old to be playing rock and roll."

That's true for our pioneers. They've been about 40 years "too old to rock"... When I started to follow the Stones, they were in their way to hit the magical age of 40. They were really seen as the grandpapas of rock, and I think their triumphical 1981/82 tour was quite largely seen as "the last tour" (even the book to be written about the tour used that word)... It wasn't far that the scenario would had turned to be true...

Honestly, I think the 'age problem' has been not so much stressed during the last decade or so... They've been so old and grey for so long now and so constant the way they play (what they offer to audiences) that it doesn't really matter if they are in their fifties, sixties, seventies or whatever. I think the age card actually works for them nowadays. They are praised for being so vital for their age, especially Jagger.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-05 17:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2009 17:53

Well said Doxa

Date: September 6, 2009 00:40

What concerns me is not their age, it's the health of certain members. Mostly those of the string section...especially the one with the growing big ears...

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 6, 2009 02:38

If the Stones did say this is the Last Time I'd have to take skipstone and tie him up on the outside to one of the last remaining Space Shuttles and watch him squirm and wiggle as the shuttle prepared to dock with the Space Station out there in the "Great Vastness" of eternal space....Sorry Skipper but that's just the way it's gonna have to go down... I'm sure you understand that there is no other way to handle it all smiling smiley... Some things are just too hot to touch/the human mind can only stand so much....

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 6, 2009 03:04

Having pushed their luck so far already, it would be pointless for them to actually state something so obvious, that it's the last time that they'll tour.

If they had any self respect mind, they'd call it quits right now.

...unless the the whole thing becomes embarrassing.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: September 6, 2009 11:10

As much as I love my precious Stones it really already has become embarrassing. Call it quits. Preserve your legacy. Don't be a parody of a parody of the band. Last tour should have been the final tour. Keith cant play live anymore. Just sounds awful. And I am saying that out of love. Love him and his guitar playin so much but its time to call it quits for him. When u gotta have a backup Blondie that should be a major hint. Go out gracefully guys, dont pull a Brett Favre.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home