Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live'r Than You'll Ever Be up on Dimeadozen
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 1, 2005 20:01

[www.dimeadozen.org]

I haven't got it, so I'm downloading it.

Re: Live'r Than You'll Ever Be up on Dimeadozen
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: October 1, 2005 21:20

Could anyone who has the Genuine Masters remaster comment on its quality?

Is it better than the Tarantula version or Pot Boiler?

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 1, 2005 21:25

Ahhh, Liver than You'll ever be... I still remember when I bought it and how excited I was! My first bootleg!

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: October 1, 2005 21:36

it is like splitting hairs - not any better than original recording.

Let's not forget the "Liv'er" stuff is all taken from the same tape....how much better mixed can one tape get ~!@!!

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 2, 2005 01:13

great show

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 29, 2009 09:49

Still running!

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 29, 2009 12:39

Sounds like crap. I guess it got good reviews upon its release, and its reputation, due to the fact that it was one of the first of its kind, and sounded good for the time. I read the original Rolling Stone review which raved about how great it sounded, then when I heard it, I wasn't to impressed. It's nothing against the Stones, it's just a shitty recording that's raved about because of its historical importance.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 29, 2009 12:56

micwer
Ahhh, Liver than You'll ever be... I still remember when I bought it and how excited I was! My first bootleg!

I don't remember if Liver was my 1st bootleg ...or was it Welcome To New York ?
Anyhow,as you wrote ,what an excitement to get an unofficial record!

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: August 29, 2009 14:33

Esky
it is like splitting hairs - not any better than original recording.

Let's not forget the "Liv'er" stuff is all taken from the same tape....how much better mixed can one tape get ~!@!!

Generally speaking, the more it's tweaked (EQ adjustment, hiss- and noise reduction etc.) the worse it sounds. This version doesn't sound too processed. It's probably the best silver disc release of this show.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: August 29, 2009 15:02

Nice sounding tape but mediocre performance at best grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 29, 2009 15:26

A torrent with id 62138 doesn't exist on this tracker.

Date: August 29, 2009 15:32

dcba
A torrent with id 62138 doesn't exist on this tracker.

Try this [www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 29, 2009 16:24

What's the origin of the original tape? Anyone?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 29, 2009 18:21

Silver Dagger
What's the origin of the original tape? Anyone?

The recording and distribution of "LIVEr Than You'll Ever Be" is a landmark historical achievement for many reasons. The recording itself is a high quality audience source. The equipment and method used to produce this piece of Rock 'n Roll history is well documented in the book "Bootleg" by Clinton Heylin, 1994:

"What I used was a Senheiser 805 'shotgun' microphone and a Uher 4000 reel-to-reel tape recorder, which was real small, 7 1/2 inch per second 5" reels"

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Rolling Stone" magazine review by Greil Marcus dated February 7, 1970:

"How it was recorded is more interesting, because the sound quality is superb, full of presence, picking up drums, bass, both guitars and the vocals beautifully. The LP is in stereo; while it doesn't seem to be mixed, the balance is excellent. One of the bootleggers says the recording was done on an eight-track machine... So these may in fact be tapes that were made on the stage by someone involved in setting up the Stones' own sound system"

Does anyone knows the book "Bootleg" by Clinton Heylin? I don't have it.Nothing about the original tape in the Volker Kluge book .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: dph ()
Date: August 31, 2009 04:39

Greil Marcus is completely wrong. "LiveR" was recorded in the crowd like it says in Heylin's book. I guess Marcus couldn't believe an audience recording could turn out so well.

Or perhaps he heard about the soundboard recording made by the Dead's crew, which was partially broadcast on KSAN in 1972, and thought that was used for LiveR (it wasn't). See [www.nzentgraf.de]

721029A 29th October: US radio (KSAN), Oakland.
Bill Graham plays a soundboard tape recorded in Oakland, 9.11.69, 2nd show.
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR)
- Stray Cat Blues (MJ/KR)
- Prodigal Son (Rev. Robert Wilkins)
- You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell/Gary Davis)
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson)
- Live With Me (MJ/KR)
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR)
- Little Queenie (Chuck Berry)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR)

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 1, 2009 19:04

Tarantura purports to have had access to the original tapes. Both shows are complete. It's a wonderful recording and very little apology needs to be made for its age. You can quibble about the quality of the performance, but the historical value of the performance and of the recording makes Live'R a must have.

Trivia question: How many shows did the band play on November 9, 1969? Well, actually I do not know. But if the Oakland 2nd show started before midnight, the answer is three. The second show in Inglewood started well after midnight. 2:00 a.m., on the 9th, as I recall. When exactly did they sleep?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home