Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick's Harp on Like a Rolling Stone
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:15

I just never really felt that harp part on Like Rolling Stone sounded right, infact, there are parts that sound very off key. The band I play in started practicing Like A Rolling Stone doing the Stones version, which is in C, and most likely Mick is playing an F harp, which is why it just doesn't sound right! He should have played a C harp, much better sounding doing the straight harp as opposed to cross harp on that one. Opinions?

Re: Mick's Harp on Like a Rolling Stone
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:21

it works fine for me - can't think of too many examples of mick playing straight harp - sweet virginia is one....others?

Date: August 27, 2009 06:29

Yes, good straight harp on Sweet Virginia. Yes, I don't think he does much and would be cool if he did on the country/rock numbers they do.

Date: August 27, 2009 06:40

i think we're so used to hearing the straight harp that bob played on it that mick's cross-harp catches the listener off-guard....

Date: August 27, 2009 07:03

It does! but also my fellow musician bandmates are not very familiar with the Stones and they really didn't think it fit, and one part in particular, where he hits the higher notes on the bridge sound very close to being out of tune.

Date: August 27, 2009 07:18

well, blue notes ARE out of tune, by their very definition. i think mick's harp is fine - is his vocals i can't handle - sings with none of the venom required for the song....

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 27, 2009 18:50

Mick's harmonica part in Like A Rolling Stone is NOT out of tune. The difference with Bob Dylan's part is intended, because Mick plays cross harp (i.e. a harp in F) and Bob plays straight harp (i.e. a harp in C). However, since Mick plays Lee Oskar harps, these harps are usually tuned on a 444 frequence, instead than on the usual 440. This is why it sounds brighter, because it's sharper tuned. I understand that your band mates think it is out of tune, because the very same think occurs to me even when I play a 442 tuned harp. But you can bet only your bandmates will think Mick's harp solo on that number is out of tune! I know, sometimes bandmates can be a little bit trainspottery can't they?smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-31 21:27 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: bustabutton ()
Date: August 27, 2009 20:00

I've always thought this harp solo is of the most heartfelt soulful things Jagger has ever done. It is the reason why I bought my first harp and started playing. Many instruments particularly shine when they are sightly off (harmonica, trombone, Keith's vox, etc.) and are meant to be played this way. Its not about being correct, its about feeling. It's not math but music. Try and listen to it again.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2009 20:18

Well, I still remember how effective it was back when I first time I heard it, Helsinki '95, in front of 50 thousand people, backed up with with Jagger's body and hand movement.. That blew my mind away... I really like the sharp 'blues' tone Jagger has in it. He really transformed the classical Dylan magic into Jaggerian vocabulary... Maybe the 'freshest' thing in their take on it over-all. Out of tune? Never heard or thought so.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-27 20:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: August 27, 2009 22:02

I'm almost sure is played on an C.

Sweet Virginia is A
Midnight Rambler E
Love is Strong G (I think)

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 27, 2009 23:40

is it a provocation? Stones version of Like a Rolling Stone is perhaps one of their best covers and one of their best performances ever.Especially Mick`s voice and harp.

Date: August 28, 2009 03:01

No he is definitely playing the Lee Oscar in F. I think Wild's post is on the money.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:23

Not a musician, so I can't comment on the specifics, but any song where Mick plays harp as much as he plays on LARS is welcome!

Again, Keith was quoted as saying that Mick is at his purest when he's playing harp. Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 28, 2009 10:52

Like a rolling stone is not a 12-bar, so a C is the right stuff here...Mick brought wrong harp here, or his harp-tec did...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 28, 2009 13:04

Yes I agree Come On.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 28, 2009 23:59

Come On
Like a rolling stone is not a 12-bar, so a C is the right stuff here...Mick brought wrong harp here, or his harp-tec did...

So your saying that he used the wrong harp everytime he did this song on tour casue the solos were all basically the same? Where's the logic?

Date: August 29, 2009 00:04

More Hot Rocks
Come On

So your saying that he used the wrong harp everytime he did this song on tour casue the solos were all basically the same? Where's the logic?

that def is some wild thinking. if a song ain't a 12-bar song, you can't play a cross-harp? i think an acid trip is in order here so i can contemplate this better....

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: August 29, 2009 00:22

Somewhere in the bigger bang doc or the fan club DVD Mick talks about harmonica. He says that for country tunes you play it in the same key (i.e. C if the song's in C) and on rock tunes you play it in the fifth (i.e. G if the song's in C).

Josh

Date: August 29, 2009 05:05

Actually that is semi correct if you are playing rock or blues you count three notes from the key the song is in...ie. song played in A, harp is D. SOng is in key of G, harp is C. The Fifth is counting minor and major keys.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 29, 2009 22:10

I really like Mick's harp on LARS it sounds great to me.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 31, 2009 03:10

And is the harp playing really 'live' or an overdub?

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: August 31, 2009 21:20

Hey Bustabutton! I agree with you, it's not math, its MUSIC! And nobody does it better than THE ROLLING STONES!!
And yes they do make 'mistakes' and they do repeat and/or miss lyrics, and that is ok, cause it's ROCK N ROLL!
And its not ever gunna be perfect, but it's not meant to be, cause it's Rock N ROLL!
I think my point is made!LOL!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Man, I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 31, 2009 21:27

but without math, music would be like....hey this one's in 3/4 time or something sorta similar to that...3 beats to a measure, 4, 5 - something like that...okay, let's start.....

Date: September 1, 2009 09:25

Music is math! And I am not one to agree with the premise that most blues music is played out of tune. Yes, I agree with those who find the harp solo fun and passionate, and I do appreciate it, but it is interesting when you play it to non stones fans and musicians and their first instinct is it is somewhat off...I can hear that as well. And anyhow, I prefer playing the C harp. It is easier! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 1, 2009 11:46

Nah, you must be kidding, Mick's harmonica part on "Like A Rolling Stones" is nothing less than AWESOME!!! At least I like it so much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home