Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RONNIE
Posted by: LittleHelper ()
Date: August 24, 2009 07:06

I know im just a little late..but i bought the autobiography on Ron Wood...
5.98 at barnes and nobles....hardcover...how is it...???????
im gonna start reading it at work tommorow....CHEERS!!!

Re: RONNIE
Posted by: Rubicon ()
Date: August 24, 2009 07:15

I enjoyed the book although he does not cover his time with the Faces very well,
drugs & booze get plenty of space

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 24, 2009 07:16

It's good. I paid full price and liked it, so 5.98 is a steal. Take it with a grain of salt though, some things he says don't quite add up historically, and his writing is a bit simple and tired in spots. I still recommend it though.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 24, 2009 09:05

Very light reading. Fun in parts. But nothing too insightful. I suppose he just can't remember the really great stuff. What struck me is how this guy just doesn't have a clue about managing his own affairs and money! He is broke so many times and yet has this massive cash influx.

Not near enough about the music! The process he uses in writing, the recollections of the work in the studio throughout his career. Ashame a wasted opportunity.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 24, 2009 12:35

LittleHelper
im gonna start reading it at work tommorow....CHEERS!!!

Can I have your job ?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 25, 2009 01:10

I enjoyed his book quite a lot but yes, it is simply written; I thought that was a part of the charm. He had a lively childhood, his family sure did not have much which made me appreciate him a bit more. Drinking was a HUGE part of his youth, with his entire family regularly visiting the local pub....actually they practically LIVED THERE! That tells us how Ronnie became an alcoholic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-25 01:11 by mickschix.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: August 25, 2009 01:25

Keith claims that 50% of it is b.s. So, when we read Keith's book when it comes out in the Fall of 2010, what will the b.s. percentage factor be in his book? I don't know. All I know is that Keith's book had better be of epic proportions in both length and subject matter (like a cross between War & Peace and Moby Dick). Ronnie's book barely scratches the surface on anything and it doesn't cover a lot of bases as far as his own opinions go.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 25, 2009 01:30

Agreed, got a review copy when it came out. Light fare. Very, very little a Stones fan doesn't already know.
I'm glad I didn't pay for it, personally.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 01:39

A lot of it is about how much he loves his wife (Jo)... Their courtship and so on.
Perhaps Ron should update it.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 25, 2009 12:45

72stones
Keith claims that 50% of it is b.s. So, when we read Keith's book when it comes out in the Fall of 2010, what will the b.s. percentage factor be in his book? I don't know. All I know is that Keith's book had better be of epic proportions in both length and subject matter (like a cross between War & Peace and Moby Dick). Ronnie's book barely scratches the surface on anything and it doesn't cover a lot of bases as far as his own opinions go.

Don't think you have to worry about the content of Keith's book. He's a very honest man, and on the parts where he's had problems remembering, or his memory was a bit blury for different reasons, he's consulted help. Very good help indeed, after what I hear. And he's a very well spoken and extremely well read man, Man of Words, Man of Music, (a Bowie-album, I believe?) and his book will definitely surprise quite a few people. Particularly those who think he's like the "image Keith", who eats kids for breakfast, then downs 3 gallons of Vodka and goes back to sleep for 9 days...
I hope he includes some of his charcoal drawings in the book.

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 13:07

I liked the book but it concentrated a bit too much on drink and drugs and not enough on their effects on his work and relationships with band members. Not much about The Faces.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 25, 2009 14:01

Have you noticed how the best bits in any of these autobiogs are usually about people who are dead?

...this one's no different.

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 14:25

Barn Owl
Have you noticed how the best bits in any of these autobiogs are usually about people who are dead?

...this one's no different.

The dead can't sue or argue. winking smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 25, 2009 16:46

Perhaps he should write a book about his time with the Faces.... Then one about his time with the Jeff Beck Group. Then one about the Birds and the Mod period.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 25, 2009 17:07

Terrible.. Doesn't tell you anything new, he never talks about writing or playing music. Your better off reading Clapton or Dylan's bios.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 25, 2009 17:37

Very nice book. I just enjoyed reading it. Lots of humour in it. Don't know if it's all true, and I really don't care. Just fun reading.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 25, 2009 21:03

The weirdest thing is, now of course, his praise of Jo.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 25, 2009 21:22

an awful read - very disappointing.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 25, 2009 23:42

does ronnie offer up anymore insight on the dirty work fiasco or is it the same we have heard for years?

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: August 26, 2009 00:29

I just wish that Mick Taylor would have come out with his book. This has to be about 5 years or so ago, I remember reading an online press report (around Christmas) where it was announced that Taylor was working on a book. All of this time has passed and it hasn't come out.
For me, it's stuff that Keith, Mick Taylor and Charlie Watts have to say that I train most of my attention to. He'll never do it, but I bet Charlie could have a manificent book in him to do if he decided to tackle it as a worthwhile project.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 26, 2009 16:22

J-J-Flash
Terrible.. Doesn't tell you anything new, he never talks about writing or playing music. Your better off reading Clapton or Dylan's bios.

Haven't read Clapton's yet, but Dylan's is fantastic.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 26, 2009 17:10

I bought it for £2.00 from my local Sainsbury's.

Can't say I'll ever get round to actually reading it, though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2009 14:18

Barn Owl

No,but I have noticed the best tits of someone who's alive and around Ron.cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home