Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: my post-stones life
Posted by: josepi ()
Date: August 9, 2009 19:44

For 40 years, my life was pretty obsessive about the Stones. Towards the end of the Bigger Bang tour, i started looking around for something else to be obsessive about. In March of this year, I finally found it. One morning while looking at the stock prices on Fox Business channel, the thought occurred to me that this was essentially a fire sale on stocks. Luckily I never owned any before, so I did not get burnt in the crash of '08. I got in a little early and had some ups and downs, but now stocks are really on a good rebound. I've made some real serious cash in the past month.

The reason for this thread is just in case some of you are looking for something new to do. this a FASCINATING hobby. I've learned a tremendous amount of knowledge about how capitalism works. Lots of stuff i'd never guessed. It's really amazing if you don't know anything about the markets. Plus it's a REAL FRIGGIN' GOOD ENTRY POINT. Maybe things will crash again, after all America (i'm from Ohio) has a huge debt burden that might bring us down again, once and for all. who knows. I just wanted to throw this out in case any of you are interested.

Re: OT: my post-stones life
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 9, 2009 19:51

Fox Business Channel rocks.....

Date: August 9, 2009 20:05

Edith Grove
Fox Business Channel rocks.....

that gal changed my whole life!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 9, 2009 20:10

Been there, Done that, Lost big. "The price of an education" like Keith said. In 54 years I've never known ANYONE who made money in the Market. It's legalized gambling pure and simple but the kicker is that it's a rigged game. Only the major players can do the things it takes to make money. God be with you my son.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 9, 2009 21:24

You got to roll me and call me the tumbling dice.
Good luck to you, mate.
Don't forget that the value of stocks can also go down.
Unlike the Rolling Stones, who always give the best dividend!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 9, 2009 21:25

josepi
i started looking around for something else to be obsessive about...

That's kinda weird that you had to go looking for something to be obsessive about. Usually it finds you.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 9, 2009 21:31

Josepi, are you buying and selling on your own or thru an agent? What's safe and hot to buy right now? Just never had the guts to do this but it does fascinate me.

Date: August 10, 2009 01:16

mickschix
Josepi, are you buying and selling on your own or thru an agent? What's safe and hot to buy right now? Just never had the guts to do this but it does fascinate me.

I use scottrade. It's simple and they have lots of great education tools. There is NEVER anything safe and hot. Please read the other posters in this tread. There is truth there. It's a gamble. Stock are manipulated. For example, Goldman Sachs has had record profits lately. Know why? Because they have the best automated stock trading system in the world. They get all the best deals. They are also part of the "flash trading" system that lets the market movers see the quotes 3 one-hundredths of a second before everyone else. In the course of the past 5 months, i have also learned that the whole entire capitalist system is rigged. It's not just stocks. By getting into the market, you learn a alot. really, it's not just about the making or losing of money, it's about the financial education you will attain.

Know when to get in or out of the market, and know when to get in and when to get out of a stock position. For example, if you bought stock before the big crash of '08, you lost your ass. That happened to alot of my friends, and apparently to some of the posters in this tread as well. Lesson: don't buy into a big run. Buy after the correction. That's exactly why now is the best time to get into the market. now. not six months from now or a year from now. The big crash is over and we are in the early stages of recovery. The big question in America (in my opinion) is whether or not we will survive the national debt. we might not. if not, that will crash the markets again.

Personally, I like to buy a stock right after it has posted a big loss. The price drops, but recovers soon enough after everyone forgets the loss. If you are not sure of what stock to buy, then buy indexes. FAS is good when the market is bullish. FAZ when bearish. lots of traders do nothing but flip the two.

you can either trade, or you can invest. I do both. my actual investments right now are in KEY and SBR because of the dividends. KEY still has alot of ground to recover. Once it does, the amount you invested to get their great dividends will be well worth it.

If you become profitable, sell enough of your stock to cover your initial investment and ride on profits. I put $7,045 US into my account in mid-March. By the middle of July I had returned that amount to my savings account and am now riding on just over $8,000 us profits. My big gainers were LVS, MGM (which i have bought and sold twice, now on my 3rd run), HGSI, CIT, and WAVE. a few others as well.

EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE yourself.

If you decide to get into the market, then here are some rules i follow. there are many more.

1) don't invest more than you are willing to lose!
2) learn what a pump-and-dump is and avoid at all costs.
3) don't believe anything anybody tells you about a piece of stock.
4) don't fall in love with a stock.
5) if you find yourself in a losing position, get out fast. do not wait around for the stock to recover.
6) you will soon find out about penny stocks. they are tempting. they are fascinating. they can potentially turn a small investment into great wealth. NOT! avoid at all costs!!!! the best return potential lies in the NASDAQ stocks.
7) EDUCATE yourself.

if you have any more specific questions, just let me know.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:27

Nah, I'll stick to The Rolling Stones insteadspinning smiley sticking its tongue out!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:29

But what are you giving back to world???....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 10, 2009 01:35

Rockman
But what are you giving back to world???....

for several years now I have been building computers at my own expense for my African-American friends that are not as fortunate as I. You can thank the Stones for that! (i'm white, Dutch descent) they are the ones that introduced me to black America, and I will always be saddened by the way blacks were (and still are) abused here in America. The Stones stand for more than just music, you know.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:39

This is way too OT.

It has nothing really to do with the Stones, or music or popular culture or even world events.

Close it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:41

It's clearly designated OT -- if you're disinterested, why read it?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 10, 2009 04:03

Normally I'd agree with you, but this almost sounds like a set-up to sell someone something.

As the Bjonnuff says:

Do me a favour and please do not post off topic, unless it is very important to a lot of us, or very interesting in general. Please no more "see me playing in my band" or orther types of me-centric posts.

Date: August 10, 2009 05:36

loog droog
Normally I'd agree with you, but this almost sounds like a set-up to sell someone something.

As the Bjonnuff says:

Do me a favour and please do not post off topic, unless it is very important to a lot of us, or very interesting in general. Please no more "see me playing in my band" or orther types of me-centric posts.

seems i've upset some folks with this topic. sorry about that. not trying to sell anything, just trying to point out a good opportunity. in this case, it was about giving back in a meaningful way to IORR. i don't post too much but i've been reading this site every day for years. I'll just shut up for now and come back in about a year to let you know how much i made. like i said, my initial investment is back into the savings account, not going to lose a cent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home