Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1981 :the Rolling Stones played a surprise concert at the Lucky Dog Music Hall (at the time Sir Morgan’s )
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 31, 2009 17:41

When I first discovered many months ago the :
[www.studiowner.com]

I'm a Stones fan. That's the first thing you need to know before reading this book.

Actually ,it was a very nice reading for me .

May be it's time to post again some fragments.

[www.luckydogmusic.com]

Ron Pawnall

In 1981 the Rolling Stones played a surprise concert at the Lucky Dog Music Hall (at the time Sir Morgan’s Cove) and it was a big deal.

Now, more than 20 years later, it’s still a big deal. The Stones were nearing the end of a six-week stay at Long View Farm, a recording studio in North Brookfield, Massachusetts, where they were rehearsing for their upcoming world tour in support of the just released Tattoo You.

It was their first time playing live in over three years; Start Me Up, Hang Fire, and Waiting On A Friend were all over the radio; and the Stones were at the top of the mountain. Other cities and clubs were talked about and planned, but only the Worcester show happened. It was pure chaos.

A day where WAAF had the tickets, and WBCN, pissed off at not having the tickets, tried to sabotage the show with on-air references to the recent tragedy at a Who concert in Cincinnati where 11 fans were trampled to death;
where businesses shut down for the day because employees either just left or didn’t show up to begin with in order to try and get tickets; where 350 lucky people crammed the oven-like club to watch the historic show, while thousands stood outside in the rain listening; where the Rolling Stones – yes, the @#$%& Rolling Stones – the Greatest Band In The World, played their first show in three years, a blistering nearly two-hour set that opened with Under My Thumb and included classics like Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman, and Tumblin’ Dice, a few covers, and recent hits off of Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tattoo You. (Their next show would be a little more than a week later in front of 90,000 people at It was a very big deal, and in a club that has hosted Aerosmith, Boston, Korn, Godsmack, and Staind, just to mention a few, it is the night that stands above the rest.

This was the biggest band in the world, at the height of their career, and they kicked off the tour of the year in Worcester. It was, and is, a night to remember. Jumpin’ Jack Flash came to Green Street and blew the roof off the joint!

Any other reviews ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: 1981 :the Rolling Stones played a surprise concert at the Lucky Dog Music Hall (at the time Sir Morgan’s )
Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 31, 2009 17:57

There was a second club show set up in Boston, but one of the t.v. channels broke the news too quickly and the show was canceled.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home