Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

another amp question
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 24, 2009 04:19

Anyone have any experience with the mesa 5/25 express?

Re: another amp question
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 26, 2009 19:50

Only with the 5/50. Fantastic amp, but very hard to dial in to my own tastes. Also, it sounds a tad too modern for my own liking.

Mathijs

Date: July 26, 2009 23:59

mathis..any amps out there that split wattage that you like?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:20

ohcarol
mathis..any amps out there that split wattage that you like?

Basically, in my opinion no. Dropping wattage is mostly done by taking out power tubes and lowering the voltage to the remaining tubes. It makes the amp sound colder and stiffer in my opinion. Some amps use attenuaters, but these tend to take out the air of the sound, and the remaining sound is just less alive.

And to add, what's the use of a 5/25 watts amp? 25 watts is perfect for small rehearsels to medium size gigs (say up to 300 people). You can use 25 watts at home, and with a Boogie you can even dial in overdrive then. 5 watts will be way to loud to crank at home, and not sufficient for most other applications.

Mathijs

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:29

Also, it sounds a tad too modern for my own liking

I'm not familiar with it, but I don't doubt the above point. My sister has a very nice early 2000's all-tube Marshall half-stack. When I first heard she got it, I couldn't wait to play thru it, but once I did, I was extremely disappointed. After years of hearing about, and listening to, the legendary Marshall sound on records and at concerts, I was shocked to find it made everything I played sound like nu-metal. Ugh! I was expecting AC/DC and instead I got Sevendust. Ick.

Date: July 27, 2009 03:47

I see....my problem is that my band rehearses in a very small space,so the small wattage could help while the 20 or 25 watts would be great for small clubs. I would love to get a mesa..any ideas mathijs?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home