Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones at the Hollywood Bowl '66
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 25, 2009 16:54

Some wonderful images - have you seen these before?

[www.rollingstones1966photos.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-25 16:54 by hbwriter.

Re: Stones at the Hollywood Bowl '66
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2009 17:00

.....Neat ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 25, 2009 17:00

Ain't seen those before!

Fantastic!

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: July 25, 2009 17:03

Great photos! Keith is seen with the LP Gold Top he played during the 1975 TOTA.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 25, 2009 17:10

The hot new LA band Buffalo Springfield opened for them. Don't think they even had their first record out yet.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 25, 2009 17:10

Yeah, I've seen them before. like half an hour earlier, or so. via Voodoo at RocksOff.

Never before been seen or published.
Available to the public for the first time on Saturday, July 25th, 2009 - 43 years after!
© 1966, 2009 Sue Michelson

[rocksoff.org]

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 25, 2009 17:20

This is great, thanks!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 25, 2009 18:35

Looks like the Real Don Steele standing next to Brian with the other KHJ djs.

Those of you not from LA may remember him from the film Death Race 2000 with David Carradine.

Date: July 25, 2009 18:47

I was in LA that summer with my mother, visiting my grandfather. She recently mailed me a package containing some of the stuff she's saved over the years, and one of the items that was in there was a pamphlet of the Hollywood Bowl's schedule of events for the summer of 1966. There was no Stones gig listed, but there was something about a "major announcement" coming soon, regarding one date that was being held open. I'll have to see if I can find it, and see if that was the date of the Stones concert.

Date: July 25, 2009 18:54

New photos keep popping up.
This is a prime example how the lighting could throw a whole guitar thread off. Had we only the 'shadow guitar' pic, we might have surmised this was a different color Les Paul.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 25, 2009 20:17

Palace Revolution 2000
This is a prime example how the lighting could throw a whole guitar thread off. Had we only the 'shadow guitar' pic, we might have surmised this was a different color Les Paul.

I'm not sure if I'm getting you right.
Which Les Paul are you referring to? the gold top?
well,that one was discussed here:
[www.iorr.org]

...and yes - it's always great when new pics come popping up.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 25, 2009 20:42

The last couple of shots looks like
The Standells" with them. Is it?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 25, 2009 21:57

Official press release regarding these photos:
First press release version posted July 25.
Corrected version posted July 26.
The correction is related to information regarding the Gibson Les Paul "Goldtop" guitar used by Keith Richards on this 1966 U.S. tour and on recordings made in Los Angeles at the end of the tour, and the Gibson Les Paul Custom that he switched to a few weeks later.

-----

PHOTOGRAPHER SUE MICHELSON RELEASES UNIQUE PORTFOLIO OF UNRELEASED CLASSIC 1966 ROLLING STONES CONCERT PHOTOGRAPHS

Images from July 25th, 1966 Hollywood Bowl Live Show Now Available For Online Viewing and Select Sales

BURBANK, Calif. – July 24, 2009 – Classic photographs of the Rolling Stones -- images that have never before been seen or published -- will become available to the public for the first time on Saturday, July 25th, 2009, when Studio City, California-based photographer Sue Michelson formally launches her Soul Gallery web site at www.rollingstones1966photos.com to coincide with the forty-third anniversary of the legendary Hollywood concert at which they were taken. Interestingly, the following day, Sunday, July 26th, will be Sir Michael Jagger’s 66th birthday.

The collection of black & white and color photographs was selected from Michelson’s personal archives, culled from a storied career which included stints as the staff photographer for the nationally syndicated radio show Rockline, as well as the Rock ’n’ Roll Tonight television series that was filmed at Hollywood’s famed Palace [now Avalon], while she worked for KLOS-FM.

Michelson’s work has been published in Billboard, Radio & Records, The KLOS-FM Concert Guide, and other print outlets over the decades.

These unique and inspiring Hollywood Bowl images were captured at a legendary concert that featured the Rolling Stones along with the McCoys, Buffalo Springfield, and the Standells. The initial exhibit and offering at the Soul Gallery site will combine these long-hidden Rolling Stones photographs from that summer evening in 1966 with equally unknown black & white pictures of Buffalo Springfield and the Standells, taken on the same evening in the same venue.

Concert Stats and Rare Guitars

Sue Michelson’s photos document the Rolling Stones’ performance at a KHJ radio-sponsored Hollywood Bowl concert that included appearances by the station’s promotional mascot, The Big Kahuna.

The Rolling Stones’ sixth (non-compilation) U.S. album, Aftermath, released earlier in 1966, had been produced by Andrew Loog Oldham and engineered by Dave Hassinger at RCA recording studios on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, just a couple of miles from the Bowl. Aftermath was the first Rolling Stones album on which all songs were written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

The set list from the Stones’ performance at the famed Hollywood Bowl concert was as follows:

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mother’s Little Helper
Get Off of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

Sue Michelson’s photos of the Rolling Stones in Hollywood include shots of Brian Jones playing the dulcimer on “Lady Jane,” and onstage close-ups of Mick Jagger during the performance.

These images from the Bowl also show Keith Richards backstage, holding a rare 1950s-era Gibson Les Paul “Goldtop” guitar with the PAF (Patent Applied For) pickups. This was the guitar that Keith also used, at the end of this U.S. tour, to record tracks at RCA Hollywood for a portion of the Rolling Stones’ next album, Between the Buttons.

A mere six weeks after the Hollywood Bowl gig, Keith can be seen playing a different, black Les Paul Custom guitar on the Ed Sullivan television show during the song, "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?” He later played that black guitar on the remaining tracks of Between the Buttons, cut at Olympic Sound in London after the Stones returned to England.

The black Les Paul Custom continued to be Keith’s guitar of choice throughout the ensuing albums, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet, as well as on the Rolling Stones’ 1969 and 1970 European tours.

Michelson’s glimpses of Keith and the specific Les Paul “Goldtop” guitar seen at the Hollywood Bowl are very rare, since they are believed to be the only known photographs of Keith with this instrument.

None of these photographs have ever been shown or reprinted before. Sue Michelson is offering limited, numbered, silver-gelatin prints of these images for sale, either individually or as a suite, in print sizes 12 x 16, 16 x 20, or 20 x 24 (all in inches). Web previews are located on the Gallery page of the web site, at www.rollingstones1966photos.com.

Interested parties may contact Sue Michelson directly for inquiries, prices and terms of sale, either by phone at (818) 377-4561, or by emailing her at miracle010401@gmail.com.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 11:38 by bv.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 25, 2009 22:00

The set list from the Stones’ performance at the famed Hollywood Bowl concert was as follows:

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mother’s Little Helper
Get Off of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown

Looks like the setlist from their last show as well.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 25, 2009 22:14

sweetcharmedlife

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mother’s Little Helper
Get Off of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown

Typical length show back then, is it not? About 45 minutes or so?

Date: July 25, 2009 23:12

Edith Grove
sweetcharmedlife

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mother’s Little Helper
Get Off of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown

Typical, yes, but more like TWENTY-FIVE minutes, assuming each of the eight songs lasted about three minutes. But note that even then, they finished off with three of their biggest hits. The whole warhorse thing that they do to this very day was ALREADY set in stone, so to speak.

Date: July 25, 2009 23:14

Beatles concerts also only lasted about 25 minutes, but they played everything so fast, they were able to do 11 or 12 songs in that amount of time. So even then, Stones fans probably complained about being "shortchanged".

Date: July 25, 2009 23:31

open-g
Palace Revolution 2000

[www.iorr.org]

Yes Open-G, I was referring to the Gold Top. What I meant though had we only come upon Photo # 5, the one where Keith sits on the table playing the guitar, we might have not been sure about the color or shading. And then debated if it was a red or brown older model etc.
Check out Brian's eyes in that very pic btw, LOL

Date: July 26, 2009 00:39

So The Standells were there! LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 26, 2009 00:48

Great photos! I was at that show. In fact, I believe that it was my first real rock concert. I clearly remember certain things from that night. The unknown Buffalo Springfield, receiving a nice but unenthusiastic reception from the audience. Little did we know who and what they would become. The McCoys, playing Hang on Sloopy, the only song they played that anyone knew. The Standells playing a great version of Dirty Water. Then, the excitement built and the Stones burst onto the stage. The previous mention of the setlist was correct and what a great show. Mick was the ultimate front man, dancing and playing to the crowd. At one point I remember him turning his back to the audience, bending over and waving to the crowd through his legs. He also said at one point, "Our own Charlie Watts is going to introduce the next song." Charlie then introduced Lady Jane. There were screaming girls all around us. I wanted to be a Rolling Stone!
I don't remember how we got tickets but I'm glad we did. It was a show full of excitement and energy, much like Got Live if You Want It.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 01:15

what was the capacity of H Bowl at the time ?
i was there in 2005 i think and then it was like 15.000.- i think

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 26, 2009 01:17

tatters
Edith Grove
sweetcharmedlife

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mother’s Little Helper
Get Off of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown

Typical, yes, but more like TWENTY-FIVE minutes, assuming each of the eight songs lasted about three minutes. But note that even then, they finished off with three of their biggest hits. The whole warhorse thing that they do to this very day was ALREADY set in stone, so to speak.

Whoa, wait a minute.

19th Nervous Breakdown had been released only 4 months or so before this show. Get Off My Cloud was all of 8 months old, and Satisfaction was a "warhorse" celebrating its 1st birthday when this show occurred.

I am amused by the press release calling this show "legendary", there's never been a lot of talk among long-time fans about this one. OTOH, the 1966 tour opener-cum-riot at Manning Bowl in Lynn (near Boston) is bona fide "legendary".

Date: July 26, 2009 01:30

highanddry
tatters
Edith Grove
sweetcharmedlife

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mother’s Little Helper
Get Off of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown

Whoa, wait a minute.

19th Nervous Breakdown had been released only 4 months or so before this show. Get Off My Cloud was all of 8 months old, and Satisfaction was a "warhorse" celebrating its 1st birthday when this show occurred.

In the pop music world of 1966, a hit from '65 was already an "oldie". Satisfaction seemed positively ANCIENT when they played it in '69. What I'm saying is that the "coming-down-the-home-stretch" pattern of ending the show by doing several of their biggest hits in a row had already been established by 1966, and has continued to this day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 01:32 by tatters.

Date: July 26, 2009 01:45

I am old enough to remember as a 7 yr old watching The Stones, Beatles, etc on TV in 64 but I envy anyone that actually saw them live during this time(and especially if you were close enough to hear!!) Alot of fans are quik to forget that the band DID exist before Taylor or Wood. What did Keith say, "They used to tell us there wasnt a dry seat in the house!" LOL Amazing

Date: July 26, 2009 01:50

scottkeef
I am old enough to remember as a 7 yr old watching The Stones, Beatles, etc on TV in 64 but I envy anyone that actually saw them live during this time(and especially if you were close enough to hear!!) Alot of fans are quik to forget that the band DID exist before Taylor or Wood. What did Keith say, "They used to tell us there wasnt a dry seat in the house!" LOL Amazing

I was seven in 1966 and I'm jealous, too. Especially when I see films of the Beatles at Shea and I see kids who were my age at the time in the audience. To think that there are actually people my age who saw the Beatles drives me nuts. One of the items in that package my mother sent me (see earlier post in this thread) is a photo of my seven-year-old self sitting in the EMPTY Hollywood Bowl, which had been one of the stops on our sight-seeing tour. I can't look at that picture without thinking "Right place .... wrong day".

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 26, 2009 01:55

scottkeef
I am old enough to remember as a 7 yr old watching The Stones, Beatles, etc on TV in 64 but I envy anyone that actually saw them live during this time(and especially if you were close enough to hear!!) Alot of fans are quik to forget that the band DID exist before Taylor or Wood.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 26, 2009 02:13

Palace Revolution 2000
open-g
Palace Revolution 2000

[www.iorr.org]

Yes Open-G, I was referring to the Gold Top. What I meant though had we only come upon Photo # 5, the one where Keith sits on the table playing the guitar, we might have not been sure about the color or shading. And then debated if it was a red or brown older model etc.
Check out Brian's eyes in that very pic btw, LOL

But then of course, we never judge a guitar by the color only. The features of this guitar (I am not going over them again here) makes it a '52 or very early '53 Goldtop LP, and most probably the one used on Satisfaction and on the '75 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 02:13

if i told you that I had been on HBowl scene and played "Hey Joe", would you believe it ? guess not...

Date: July 26, 2009 02:52

Maybe this is you?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 26, 2009 03:29

Brilliant photos - thanks for the heads-up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home