Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

On Stage vs A Bigger Bang
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 21, 2009 08:16

Why did the tour title (or the ads anyway) change from On Stage to A Bigger Bang?

i suppose there is an easy answer to this question but it does seem the early shows were The Rolling Stones: On Stage and there were even posters and t shirts produced as such, then it became A Bigger Bang.

someone give the (presumably easy) explanation/evolution of/to that one.

p

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-21 11:18 by bv.

Re: Why did the tour title (or the ads anyway) change from On Stage to A Bigger Bang?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2009 08:36

The two chimps pullin' the levers at RS.com couldn't spell Bang ....

ROCKMAN

Re: On Stage vs A Bigger Bang
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 21, 2009 11:24

Because they were in a hurry, and they had not got to decide on the real tourname yet. On Stage is generic, while A Bigger Bang is a total concept of album, stage and touring design. And I bet a dozen lawyers and PR people gave it OK as well.

Same reason why they gave away credits to k d lang and mink on Anybody Seen My Baby. They were in a hurry. Press conferences and record release dates and tour start can not be moved, so they simply give away the co-credits. Later on legal experts said they did noot have to do it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 21, 2009 17:49

And they probably hadn't named the album yet.

grinning smileyRe: Why did the tour title (or the ads anyway) change from On Stage to A Bigger Bang?
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 21, 2009 17:57

Rockman
The two chimps pullin' the levers at RS.com couldn't spell Bang ....

I would say chicks from M.J .com ruined the bang grinning smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 21, 2009 19:01

Well, the initial hype was over the "On Stage" experience of being in those boxes in the stage set. Some people loved those boxes, but most people disliked paying $500 for seats behind the band, and overall fan reaction was not good.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the name change, though.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 21, 2009 20:58

For as infrequently as the Stones organization hits the road, they seem to always wind up "in a hurry," as mentioned above. Why is this? It was the same with Licks: when the tour was first announced, it was called, generically, "World Tour," and the four new songs that eventually were released on "Forty Licks" hadn't yet been recorded.

The self-imposed haste, it seems to me, isn't very wise, or necessary. Why do the Stones choose to do business this way?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 21, 2009 21:30

Neither one. For Tim, it would have to be "The Plexiglass Fetish Tour". Now THERE'S a future album title. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:58

I did the "On stage" seats for one show. Did enjoy the experience. The Tickets were "only" 250 dollars, which was less than the highest priced tkts.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 22, 2009 06:50

very good bassplayer! and maybe a future tour title.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 21, 2009 10:58

For as infrequently as the Stones organization hits the road, they seem to always wind up "in a hurry," as mentioned above. Why is this? It was the same with Licks: when the tour was first announced, it was called, generically, "World Tour," and the four new songs that eventually were released on "Forty Licks" hadn't yet been recorded.

The self-imposed haste, it seems to me, isn't very wise, or necessary. Why do the Stones choose to do business this way?

because they are adrenaline freaks, but maybe not Charlie. I know as I am one too.

p

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 22, 2009 10:49

It's the general chicken egg thing. First you have to make some music. Then you compile it to be a new album. Then you have to book some venues, build a stage, make a concept, make it look nice, make it profitable and so on. Then you have to get Charlie and Mick together to decide on the general designs and look and feel of the tour. Then everybody work like crazy, because usually the Stones like better to be in Turks & Caico or at home or with their girl friend on travel to LA or simply jamming with jazz friends in London. So one day Mick says guys if this tour is going to hapen we simply have to meet up (that's on the phone to Keith). So Keiths says well ok I will get to that boring castle of yours mate and then they meet up and fight about riffs and songs for some time. And eventrually the PR people feel safe they can pull the strings and make some contracts. But by then it is already springtime, and they don't even know how the front cover of the album is going to look like, and not even the list of songs...

I think for PR people - and for Mick - it is still very important to connect tour and album. Recordings. New stuff. Name of tour. That's why LICKS have new songs on a compilation album. Even if they did not have any time, they did a mini studio touch.

They have always been late. The Babylon bridge wasn't ready for Chicago in 1997. The LICKS stage design was rejected by Keith when he saw it in Boston/Foxboro, so they had to make a new design in a hurry. The cage in 1999 was silly and Mick realized that after a few shows.

Luckily the Stones are a dynamic operation and luckily they are able to adapt and ajust so that they get a good design and a good name of the almum and tour. Sure. The bang was bigger. The tour was voted best tour ever by fans on IORR. Sure the intro and the visuals told us of a bigger bang. It's the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. Don't expect them to be like a company, where everything is decided by a boss and then it is like that for the rest of the decade. The rolling stones are a band with individuals, and they might vote at any time. Kind of nice but sure a nightmare when it comes to logistics and cost...

Bjornulf

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 22, 2009 14:54

I seem to remember the working title for A Bigger Bang was Manhatten Beach ?
Some made a mock up of the album cover.Has anyone got it ?

scuk

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 22, 2009 18:22

That's close to the atomic bomb. Ha ha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home