Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Open G String Gauges
Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 13, 2009 08:06

I've tried (and failed) to find the picture on IORR of Keith's custom Ernie Ball strings he uses for his five-string open-G guitars. I'm converting my tele to open-G and would like to know what size strings Keith uses. If anybody could help me out, I'd appreciate it. And thanks in advance.

Tommy

Re: Keith's Open G String Gauges
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: July 13, 2009 08:10

It may be in the Johnny Starbuck thread

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 13, 2009 08:57

i know the photo you mean of that Ernie Ball set - i think open-g posted it? - but i haven't found it yet.
i did find this, posted by Toru A on page 3 of the "Keith's Other Teles" thread - [www.iorr.org] :

>> Micawber is a 1952 butterscotch-coloured model with a black pickguard & a stock 3 way switch.
The sixth string is removed, it's always tuned to open G, with the following gauges: .011, .015, .018, .030, .042.
It has replacement tuners & a brass replacement bridge with individual saddles,
and the nut is cut to accommodate 5 strings-they aren't evenly spaced across the fingerboard,
but the first string is moved a bit to keep it from going over the edge. <<

i don't know who Toru A was quoting there, or how authoritative they are.
i also think the gauge Keith uses varies depending on what era you're asking about;
and there's an interview around here somewhere from the 1980s where his guitar guy talks about
changing to heavier strings sometimes to keep Keith's hands strong.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 13, 2009 08:57

Date: July 13, 2009 09:01

Found it!

G - 42, D - 30, G - 18, B - 15, D - 11

Date: July 13, 2009 09:02

Thanks!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 13, 2009 09:12

glad you found what you were looking for - which thread was it in, just out of curiosity?
and just for the record, in 1986 Alan Rogan said Keith was using Ernie Ball regulars (0.10 to 0.46) -
that's in an interview on page 4 of "Keith's Other Teles": [www.iorr.org]

Date: July 13, 2009 13:24

with sssoul
glad you found what you were looking for - which thread was it in, just out of curiosity?
and just for the record, in 1986 Alan Rogan said Keith was using Ernie Ball regulars (0.10 to 0.46) -
that's in an interview on page 4 of "Keith's Other Teles": [www.iorr.org]

Well the way I found it was to Google "Keith Richards Ernie Ball" and up came a picture of the package.

It wouldn't surpise me at all to hear he uses somewhat lighter gauges on the concert-tuned guitars, since that's where most of his lead playing is done and the tension of 6 strings tuned tighter than 5 tuned lower would feel alright switching from one to the other, I'd imagine.

I can't WAIT to get to the guitar store tomorrow afternoon after work and ask them for individual strings in Keith's gauges. Right now my tele is in open-G with strings going 38, 28, 18, 14 & 11. Imagine the balls after I go 42, 30, 18, 15, 11! I'm salivating!

Tommy

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 16:59

I have a guitar that I keep in 5 string Open-G for my own original material. I use a simple set of 10s minus the 6th string. I had thought about the Keith gauges instantly because of the guitar, but my experience tells me to go with what is comfortable for YOU. His gauge is going to be fairly heavy and may impair your playing rather than assist it. Just my two cents.

Wayne

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: July 14, 2009 17:21

From4tilLate:

Have you made the change yet? What's the sound like?

Please keep us informed!

Thanks.

Date: July 14, 2009 17:29

One other note, if you buy a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky you are just about there, then you would need to get a single .18p.

The heavier the strings, usually the thicker the tone, to a point. But harder to bend and such. It's a give and take for many people, but not all.

Wayne

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:19

If you fancy something a tad lighter than Keith's choice and are used to regular tens, go with 11,13,17,26,38.

Notice that the middle three strings are straight out of a regular ten set, with the first and fifth strings beefed up just a bit [from 10 and 36 respectively] to balance the tension at the lower tuned pitch.
A 40 on the bottom also feels OK in this set for a slightly more solid low .end response

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:35

FWIW - I use GHS Guitar Boomers TNT for my 5-string Tele, at the moment.
that would be 10, 13, 17, 30, 44 minus the 52.

Date: July 15, 2009 06:21

Ernie Ball Power SLinky could also be an option Gauges 11-14-18-28-38-48

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2009 23:58

I've never bothered with changing the gauges. Then again, I don't have a guitar set up for 5 string open G anymore. Maybe someday. There's really not much soloing when in that open G. Usually I'll just do it with six strings with the A being the only changed string, I leave the E so I can still solo. No big deal. I've gotten pretty good at not hitting the low E string, ha ha, so there's not CLANG of a horrible note. And it's usually only for 2 songs - but lately I've just not bothered. It's hard to get in in tune with a tuner on the fly when the next song is already going so I usually do it by ear. When that's not possible, I just stick with standard and play like Billy Duffy imitating Keith Richards. Or Angus doing Keith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home