Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Jerry Garcia's last concert - 14 Years Ago Today!
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 9, 2009 21:04

Wow! 14 years? You can listen to the whole concert here...

[www.archive.org]

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-09 21:09 by Ross.

Re: OT - Jerry Garcia's last concert - 14 Years Ago Today!
Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 9, 2009 21:06

Unfortunately, the man was in horrible shape and the concert is wince-inducing in many places, despite a heroic effort at Unbroken Chain. Bum notes, forgotten lyrics, missed cues, etc. I saw him a month earlier (RFK-DC, 6-25) and while it didn't sound so bad while I was there, I deleted the show after I downloaded it. Don't want to remember Garcia that way. RIP

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 9, 2009 23:20

I met Garcia about 5 weeks before he died, he looked really bad, but was very kind.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 9, 2009 23:31

Thanks for the link

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 10, 2009 03:56

Love his Version of Dear Prudence

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 10, 2009 04:55

Re: OT - Jerry Garcia's last concert - 14 Years Ago Today! new

I met Garcia about 5 weeks before he died, he looked really bad, but was very kind.

How did that come about, can you tell us the story?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 10, 2009 06:46

My last show was the summer of 94. I remember when Jerry Died. I was walking through a Duane Reade Pharmacy in Manhattan, and rather than hearing generic music on their speakers, I heard St, Stephen. Thinking wasn't that unusual, I returned to work and a 'fellow traveler' told me the bad news.

Rather than that last Chicago show, listen to a Jerry Garcia Band show from winter 1980 with After Midnight>Eleanor Rigby>After Midnight.

Dynamite!

Date: July 10, 2009 08:36

boogie69

Not really a story, I just happened to work near a hotel they were staying at. I figured they would be leaving the day after their show. I just went down early afternoon and low and behold 15 minutes later I see the members leaving at few minute intervals into waiting vans. Jerry originally motioned for me to go away and entered the van. About 30 seconds later the driver got out and called for me to come back. The driver opened the sliding van door and Jerry apologized, we chatted for a minute or so and he signed a couple LP's I had brought. I had a camera and he made the point not to take any photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-10 08:42 by trainarollin.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2009 15:53

trainarollin
boogie69

Not really a story, I just happened to work near a hotel they were staying at. I figured they would be leaving the day after their show. I just went down early afternoon and low and behold 15 minutes later I see the members leaving at few minute intervals into waiting vans. Jerry originally motioned for me to go away and entered the van. About 30 seconds later the driver got out and called for me to come back. The driver opened the sliding van door and Jerry apologized, we chatted for a minute or so and he signed a couple LP's I had brought. I had a camera and he made the point not to take any photos.

that was so awesome .jerry was the man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 10, 2009 16:02

I saw them the city before that last Chicago stop (St. Louis). Ended the show with Black Muddy River, which at the time I thought sounded great (that was the first of two shows there, didn't go to the 2nd show the next night).

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 11, 2009 13:57

Remember taking the plane back from a holiday in Greece. In the plane there was time magazine. Or some other one. It said Jerry Garcia had died. It came as a shock really. Over here in Europe they never played much. As a teenager I got 'Anthem of the sun" for the cover. I loved the record. Started buying more, and they were really hard to get in the 80s. Nobody knew who they were. I remember greeting americans with Grateful dead t-shirts in the street.
I never got to seen the Grateful Dead. They are still one of my favourite bands.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2009 14:06

Levon Helm's cover of Garcia's, Tennessee Jim on his new album Electric Dirt is a pure gem...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: July 11, 2009 14:36

It's actually Tennessee Jed, not Jim.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2009 14:37

Hey ya correct .....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-11 14:57 by Rockman.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 11, 2009 15:53

A nice interview here :
[www.geocities.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home