Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: I saw Marianne Faithfull in concert last night
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:17

Hey everybody, I was just wondering If you mind me posting this. I hope not!
Thing is, I am now the happiest person in the whole world!!!!!!
I saw Marianne Faithfull last night! And it was wonderful! The best concert I've ever seen so far (for I haven't seen the Stones yet)! I loved every single second of it! It was great! Marianne was beautiful! The music was beautiful! The whole evening was beautiful! Pure awesomeness!!!!
I went there with my dad and he enjoyed it so much, too!
The band she had was extraordinary! Amazing drummer! Her voice was as raunchy as ever, I loved it so much! She was making jokes here and there, too, it was quite a lot of fun. And she couldn't remember the names of her band ,so, when she introduced the band half-way through the show, she always had to take a look at her lyric sheets where she had apparantely written down their names and what instruments they played. *lol*
She only played for nearly 1 1/2 hours, only 10 songs (including an encore. Nobody wanted to let her go!!! ), but those were even more so magnificent and it was fantastic!!
The kicked the show off with "Times Square" and then played 2 songs off her new record, Easy Come Easy Go, including the title song. After that we got to enjoy Broken English, which was gorgeous. Then there was another song off her new album and then The Ballad of Lucy Jordan, Sister Morphine, As Tears Go By and Why'd ya Do It. I had hoped she would play Sing Me Back Home (the one she did with Keith on her new record), because I simply love that tune. She didn't play it in the actual show, but when the band came back on stage for the encore after ca. 3 minutes of standing ovations, guess which song they played! Sing Me Back Home! I was endlessly pleased!!!)
After As Tears Go by she took her jacket off, cause it was getting pretty hot in there, and everyone in the room went "Woohooo" which was funny. *lol* She looked great!
This was probably the most remarkable night I had ever had and I will always remember it. I am so happy!!!!! A remarkable night!
Afterwards I went to an Irish pub with my dad, Flannagan's, where we had some Guinness and met my sister, who had been out with her boyfriend. It was such a lovely evening, we came home around midnight!!!

Also, on Friday was the last day of school!!!!!! It was kinda weird, I had set my alarm clock for yesterday morning to wake me up at 11 am and it did. And I wanted to get up and the next thing I know is my dad comes into my room saying: "You can either sleep over the entire evening or we go see Marianne Faithfull!!" It was 6 pm!! And the concert was scheduled to start at 7.30! I was so shocked! I had literally been sleeping all darn day!!!*shocked*
I must've been really shattered to sleep over the entire first day of my holidays. *lol* And then I was afraid we wouldn't make it in time for the concert, but we were there at 7.15 pm! I was so glad! Still don't know how we made it to the city centre of Vienna in such a short amount of time.
She also started about 20 minutes later than scheduled, so that was cool.

But now for the important part, the pics!

Hope you enjoy them, even though some are not very good quality. Pleae, click to enlarge. I only took about 15 pics last night, cause I didn't want to fiddle around with the camera too much as I did not want to miss any details under any circumstances. I guess you can understand that.

Well, that's it. Just wanted to share this. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 22:40 by CharliMoon.

Re: OT: I saw Marianne Faithfull in concert last night
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:26

thanks for the review, glad you had a good time ;-) Marianne seems to be in good shape, too.

and by the way - if she's off topic on the Stones forum, it makes me wonder what's not.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 5, 2009 23:28

Thank you very much for posting. Really wonderful to read that you had such a good time. You are so right about Marianne Faithfull. She is great.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 5, 2009 23:56

great review - thanks!

you're obviously a big stones fan...how come you haven't seen them live yet?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 5, 2009 23:58

Great review CharliMoon, almost felt I was there too.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you take them from heaven............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-06 00:00 by NICOS.

Date: July 6, 2009 01:01

little queenie
great review - thanks!

That's about the best compliment I could ever get, thank you!! The Stones mean everything and more to me.

Well, I have always liked them (or rather their music, cause I didn't really know who they were until some years later) since the age of about 7. Angie was my favourite song when I was that age.
It wasn't until 3 years ago that I became a fan and it took a few more months to become an enormous die-hard fan. And well, somehow it never came about, I dunno. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not going to a Vienna show of theirs on their last tour. But I guess in 2005 (or was it 2006 when they were in Vienna? Can't remember.) I wasn't that much of a true fan yet and I wasn't really aware they were in Vienna at the time, too. Oh well, I hope I'll get another chance, though!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-06 01:02 by CharliMoon.

Date: July 6, 2009 01:08

NICOS
Great review CharliMoon, almost felt I was there too.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you take them from heaven............

Funny, throughout the concert I felt like "If there's heaven, this is what it must be like!" *lol*
It was wonderful.

Now, we were up high in the gallery, to the right side, front row. Perfect view onto the stage, except the piano. If we wanted to see the piano we had to bend over the reling a bit, but who cares, we had a clear view onto Marianne!!

I marked our seats green, could be we were even a little more to the side, though, but that's out of the picture. You get the idea of where we were, though.

Thanks, everyone. winking smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 6, 2009 05:16

What artists do you enjoy who are under the age of 40?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 6, 2009 10:21

CharliMoon
little queenie
great review - thanks!

That's about the best compliment I could ever get, thank you!! The Stones mean everything and more to me.

Well, I have always liked them (or rather their music, cause I didn't really know who they were until some years later) since the age of about 7. Angie was my favourite song when I was that age.
It wasn't until 3 years ago that I became a fan and it took a few more months to become an enormous die-hard fan. And well, somehow it never came about, I dunno. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not going to a Vienna show of theirs on their last tour. But I guess in 2005 (or was it 2006 when they were in Vienna? Can't remember.) I wasn't that much of a true fan yet and I wasn't really aware they were in Vienna at the time, too. Oh well, I hope I'll get another chance, though!!!

2006 - it was rescheduled due to keith's accident.

here's what you missed:
[www.iorr.org]

i had tix for the first show and came to vienna anyway (all shows i had tix for were cancelled or postponed)...couldn't make it back but took a 2nd trip back to europe that summer to see some shows. don't lose any chances to see them. i did in '81 (sold out and didn't know otherwise) and i had to wait until '89 to finally see them...

Date: July 6, 2009 11:07

I've seen her perform live oh, 15 yrs ago maybe. A small venue - I could have gotten her autograph, but didn't.
Fortunate for you to celebrate the end of school with this concert; she very much appears to be in her element!

Date: July 8, 2009 02:10

stonesrule
What artists do you enjoy who are under the age of 40?

haha. I don't think there is any artist under 40 who I am a fan of.
Some people I know say I'm weird, because I like all those guys who could be my parents or grandparents.
I don't know why, it's just the way it is. I love the Stones above everything else. I love Aerosmith. Totally. I'm a sucker for good old rock'n'roll and blues. Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Little Richard. I like Elvis a lot.
I really can't stand all those studio-made succesful teenie boy bands out there, with their mostly crappy pop and techno or whatever. Even though I'm the same age as many of them. It's just no music to me. You see, the problem I think is that nothing is there to follow all those "old" artists. Nothing comes from those teenie kids. Most of those boy bands or Disney-made teenie stars hugely sucessful over the world can only dream of ever putting on a show as good as Marianne's.
It's a pity.

Even the actors and film makers I like are over the age of 40. Johnny Depp, Tim Burton. Terry Gilliam etc.
The only artist I can think of who is under the age of 40 and whom I am an enormous fan of is Zachary Quinto. thumbs up He's 32.

*rant over* eye rolling smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

little queenie, thank you for the link re the Vienna 2006 show. winking smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 8, 2009 05:00

How are we going to break this to the Jonas brothers?
Do you think they know who Muddy Waters is?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2009 05:11

No sure BUT I bet their Mammie & their Pappie never allowed them to play anywhere near it...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2009 09:39

Rockman

No sure BUT I bet their Mammie & their Pappie never allowed them to play anywhere near it...
>grinning smiley< lol

Well, at least they no who Mick Jagger is, so maybe there's a slight chance.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 8, 2009 13:58

Nice read and nice pics .Thanks CharliMoon !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home