Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1st part of the Remasters on sale
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: May 2, 2009 17:51

Bought the box with 4 CDs for EUR 52,99 today at the Media Markt, Vienna. The price for a single disc is 17,99 each. A good reason to buy the box but as I just noticed the stickers with the tongue and the "Remaster"-texture is only available on the "single"-releases and not within the box.

Haven't heard it yet but it's looking good in a way.

Re: 1st part of the Remasters on sale
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 2, 2009 18:04

well, sounds like reason enuf to buy both for the "Completists."

p

Posted by: django ()
Date: May 2, 2009 18:12

EUR 41,99 for the box and EUR 13,99 for a single disc at Amazon.de.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 2, 2009 18:20

Silk, can you please just write a quick review about the sound?
If it improved, I'll probably buy them as well! thanks in advance smiling smiley

Date: May 2, 2009 19:05

Lorenz, will be my pleasure but we're stayin' at my neighbors at the moment. But right after DSDS (don't laugh ;-) I'll compare them with the Virgins.

Date: May 2, 2009 19:24

I don't have to explain much - look at the pics and you can see what happened. This is Dancing With Mr.D. by the way, about 30 sec. each. Playing both tracks right off of my PC which is connected to my HiFi I can't hear a difference soundwise. Maybe I change my mind when I play them both on my SACD-Player.

Virgin:

Polydor:

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:30

hi silkcut; i'm certainly not gonna review the sonics as i haven't heard them but the graphs you posted (pretty cool by the way!! (thanx for that)...

...to my eye it sorta shows the common "mastering wars" philosophy of mastering, in which the level is boosted heartily, primarily to sound loud and competitive with modern productions on the radio and elsewhere...(u can max out modern car radios pretty easily (volume wise) with older masters i have noticed frequently)

am very interested to hear your (and others) reviews as to the actual sonics and sound and whatever subtle things might be 'better' or even less better....?
cool posts and thread...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:37

Cool, thanks for the comparison! Indeed, it does look (to an untrained eye) as if they simply boosted the volume for playing in mp3 players and car stereos. A let down, if that is the only "improvement" sad smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:44

I bought Sticky Fingers today in Metz France for 13.50 euros, no box sets there. Anyhow, played it in my car on the way home and can say it's louder than the previuos versions. The biggest difference I can tell is that the bass doesn't seem to be overwhelming as in newer recordings. And, the sound is nice and clear. Unfortunately nothing special to report on the artwork. As a matter of fact they put the guy in underwear picture on the back with the song list. I'm going to make my own back cover, don't care for that one.

Date: May 2, 2009 19:44

hi Beelyboy, what you wrote reminds me on my endless discussion with my son who's always screaming when I túrn up the volume as soon as I play "my" Stones on the car HiFi. When we're back to his music (Linkin Park and other modern bands) I have to reduce it again. He never understood that the kind of nowadays music is produced to make maximum noise. But now I'm able to compete. The new GHSoup sounds like hell compared to the Virgin one...but as far as I can say ONLY because it's so loud now. But better? I don't think so. The hiss is now louder but as is the rest. It doesn't sound any clearer to me.

But maybe the SHM-CDs from Japan will be a treat, we'll see. Just in case they are as good as the ABKCO ones from last Christmas I might change my mind.

What I bought today is "Collector's Only" in a way. It looks good, the package of the CDs is ok and I love the rounded edges of the jewel-cases. If that's reason enough to spend 42 or even 52 Euro for 4 otherwise useless CDs? You'll know the answer ;-)

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:51

frankotero
... The biggest difference I can tell is that the bass doesn't seem to be overwhelming as in newer recordings...

?
red flag #1

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:55

Anyone see the Daily Mirror review ? I usta be good mates with said Mr. Martin (from Bangor) but we went different ways, I used the term "different ways" euphemistically.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:59

Thanks for the graphics Silkcut. It certainly looks not too good. Looks like I don't need this, it seems brickwalled to me, which would be a shame, and a wasted opportunity. I guess I have to get of hold of one cd and compare it to my virgin cd and longplayer to compare.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-02 20:09 by barbabang.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 3, 2009 02:30

"LOUDER"? WHY NOT PUSH AMP TO 11 ?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 3, 2009 06:13

Nanker Phlegm
"LOUDER"? WHY NOT PUSH AMP TO 11 ?

Seems that these reissues are for people who are either too lazy to get outta their seats to go to their amps (we all get old, ya know!) or simply have no or defective remote controls and are willing to pay some good money for the extra service of a loud mastering.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2009 09:53

Unfortunately, looks like this is just the switch of a record label, so re-releasing what you already have over and over again... The Beatles sound more attractive... The only on e I am into is seeing what they have planned for Exile... lets hope.

Date: May 3, 2009 19:11

Finally I've listened to the first CD (Goat's Head Soup) and yes, Star Star is the censored version which was only released in the US on the initial (?) release of the LP - with "I bet you keep your pu**y clean" "dubbed". I can't remember and I don't have the time to check it out yet but I think the Virgin release (and the earlier ones as well) had the uncensored version. I'm I wrong or right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-03 19:12 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 3, 2009 19:24

I have the CBS version "Made In Austria", it has uncensored vocals

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 3, 2009 19:45

silkcut1978_
Finally I've listened to the first CD (Goat's Head Soup) and yes, Star Star is the censored version which was only released in the US on the initial (?) release of the LP - with "I bet you keep your pu**y clean" "dubbed". I can't remember and I don't have the time to check it out yet but I think the Virgin release (and the earlier ones as well) had the uncensored version. I'm I wrong or right?

My CBS-edition has the unsensored rendition.

Date: May 3, 2009 20:52

thanks, cool - at least there's something...

I'm going to listen to IORR later tonight. Who knows, maybe there's another surprise. At least there's hope;-)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 3, 2009 21:12

UK Virgin Goats Head Soup has the uncensored Star Star.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 3, 2009 21:59

There's enough here to convince me NOT to buy ANY of these.

Thanks. I'll spend my money finding second copies of the Virgins.

Date: May 3, 2009 22:17

Apart from the little finding of the censored "Star Star" I must admit that the sound is kinda brutal. The first 3 songs on Goats (mind you, Coming Down is a slow one!) are partially overexcited to a painful extent. Heartbreaker is the first song I didn't notice any overload. The bass seems to be a little bit clearer compared to the Virgin release but that's it for me. I think I will never play this version again.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 3, 2009 23:55

Who is the remastering engineer? Bob Ludwig (acceptable) again? Too late to petition for Steve Hoffman...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 4, 2009 00:05

silkcut

Please report on IORR at first opportunity. Should be interesting!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 4, 2009 00:13

Sounds like much ado about nothing once again.... all I know is that Tattoo You's version of SLAVE on Virgin is something like 2 minutes longer but I'm gonna skip these once again.... Can't they get it right !?!?!?!?!

Date: May 4, 2009 00:16

Not Ludwig, the little troll who did SAL and something else, Live Licks? Marcussen? Something like that.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 4, 2009 00:17

HelterSkelter
Sounds like much ado about nothing once again.... all I know is that Tattoo You's version of SLAVE on Virgin is something like 2 minutes longer but I'm gonna skip these once again.... Can't they get it right !?!?!?!?!

Isn't the point of this release suppose to be about superior sound quality?? That was my impression.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 4, 2009 00:23

This sounds like a complete waste, once again with Stones not willing to put anything out there for us real fans.

Date: May 4, 2009 00:48

No, it's not about sound quality. It's about, uh, let me see, uh..."retaining the essence of the original track listings and sleeve design."

According to who ever said it, the back cover of Sticky Fingers is the underwear instead of the jeans? Yeah, that's retaining the essence of the original sleeve design alright.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home