Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

FLAC!
Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:32

Ok, its driving me crazy. How do I open flac files? I have searched this site, but the word "flac" comes up a million times.

My computer has Windows XP.

Thank you!

Re: FLAC!
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:34

Either you use vlc player which plays any format or you search & download a windows media player plugin for FLAC

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:38

download free converting software and you can convert flac to wav (also lossless) or to MP3 if you wish

I've done that and it works like a charm; I am not on my computer that has that program on it right now and I cant recall the name of the software, but I can post it later if you want

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:40

Happy2
Ok, its driving me crazy. How do I open flac files? I have searched this site, but the word "flac" comes up a million times.

My computer has Windows XP.

Thank you!

Try here:
[flac.sourceforge.net]
[flac.sourceforge.net]

And here to download:
[sourceforge.net]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:44

The easiest way I've found is to download and install the free version of winamp at [www.winamp.com] and then download and install the plug-in that will allow it to play flac files, which is at [www.winamp.com]

Don't use Windows Media Player, it sucks. Works terribly, plus it compiles info about what music files are on your computer and sends the info back to Microsoft corp. If you have music on your computer you didn't buy (or that it decides you didn't buy, whether that's accurate or not), you could get sued by the recording industry.

Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 2, 2009 20:23

Thank you all. I wound up going with winamp. I like it alot, in just the few minutes I've had it.

To free up some room, can I get rid of the windows media player?

Date: July 2, 2009 20:27

Don't use Windows Media Player, it sucks. Works terribly, plus it compiles info about what music files are on your computer and sends the info back to Microsoft corp. If you have music on your computer you didn't buy (or that it decides you didn't buy, whether that's accurate or not), you could get sued by the recording industry.

......aint that an invasion of privacy?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 2, 2009 20:31

I use foobar2000 to play flac files but I can burn the files w/o conversion using ROXIO.(I have to agree with Taylor Era (!) on the WMP- it DOES suck)

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 2, 2009 20:57

Download Media Monkey. Best player ever. Easy interface as well. Easily will play FLAC and also allow you to burn FLAC files to a CD that can be played on any player without having to convert. Best of all its free. Plays almost every format you can think of.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 2, 2009 21:10

Very illuminating!

I've got XPMedia Center and disregard Windows Media player.

Recently, I had some sound issues...like there was none! Life is hell without YouTube and New York Times multi-media.

Date: July 2, 2009 21:23

Easily will play FLAC and also allow you to burn FLAC files to a CD that can be played on any player

..really?? because so far the problem with flac that I have is that I can't play it on much equipment, comparably.. it wont play in my car or on any of my home equipment, so I have to convert to something else, wav or MP3 usually, to be able to hear it all

and on playback I find it pretty hard to distinguish wav from MP3 as far as quality goes..so I don't really think it matters much which you convert to

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 2, 2009 21:41

WAV from mp3. Huge difference in sound quality. With WAV you lose none of the sound quality of the original. Well WAV is the standard CD format. I detest mp3. Only lossless such as FLAC and some others will cut it for me. Absolutely despise mp3. Would rather hear quality sound rather than free up space. And yes Media Monkey will let you burn any format to CD and play on any CD player. Its a great program. Try it out.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 2, 2009 21:43

out of my head
WAV from mp3. Huge difference in sound quality. With WAV you lose none of the sound quality of the original. Well WAV is the standard CD format. I detest mp3. Only lossless such as FLAC and some others will cut it for me. Absolutely despise mp3. Would rather hear quality sound rather than free up space. And yes Media Monkey will let you burn any format to CD and play on any CD player. Its a great program. Try it out.

amen.

mp3 begat the downfall of western civilization as we knew it....

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 2, 2009 21:49

T&A
out of my head

amen.

mp3 begat the downfall of western civilization as we knew it....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 2, 2009 22:03

I burn flac files straight to cdr on Roxio and it plays on everything I put it in.

Date: July 2, 2009 22:24

WAV from mp3. Huge difference in sound quality. With WAV you lose none of the sound quality of the original.

.. really? I can't really notice any difference

for flac stuff I've downloaded, I've been converting to wav, though, and burning in wav, since flac wont play on any of my equipment

I burn flac files straight to cdr on Roxio and it plays on everything I put it in.

yes Media Monkey will let you burn any format to CD and play on any CD player. Its a great program. Try it out.

ok well then I 'm doing something wrong, and yes I will try; thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-02 22:25 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 4, 2009 17:18

''Download Media Monkey. Best player ever. Easy interface as well. Easily will play FLAC and also allow you to burn FLAC files to a CD that can be played on any player without having to convert. Best of all its free. Plays almost every format you can think of.''

.. I downloaded Media Monkey and took Brussels 1973 flac - and yer right - it burned flac onto a disc, easily and quickly, and it plays on all my equipment

sounds great

thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home