Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith's Clangers - examples?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 12, 2009 20:46

A lot of people on here are always going on about how Keith can't play anymore.

I'm not a super-connoisseur of Stones videos/live recordings from the last few years, so can anyone post video clips that support this argument that Keith has lost it?

Re: Keith's Clangers - examples?
Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 12, 2009 20:55

This could actually be interesting as I, too, have not heard too many recordings of modern-day Stones and the ones I have heard are probably the better ones...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 12, 2009 21:11

far better are his great moments, and there are so many more of them than the 'clangers'.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 12, 2009 21:16

Might as well start with nearly every solo on "Shine A Light." If you don't follow much live stuff nor have some kind of ear for music you won't be able to hear the lack of creativity or gusto with Keith's solos as of late.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: June 12, 2009 21:30

The opening song of the Columbus 2005 show...Brown Sugar...boy, he messed that up!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 12, 2009 21:45

I wonder if his mistakes can be blamed on arthritis and drug treatment. Anyway, I think he's done a great job considering. Also think about Chuck Berry for instance. By the time he was 65 he was already making lots of mistakes, to include thumping on the guitar rather than playing it. Again, same as Keef I'll let him slide. He's still great.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 12, 2009 23:19

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: June 13, 2009 00:58

I think I was at that show !

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 13, 2009 01:12

Hairball

LOL

In fairness, the crowd seemed to like it.....

Posted by: doster ()
Date: June 13, 2009 05:57

mickboy33
The opening song of the Columbus 2005 show...Brown Sugar...boy, he messed that up!

Yeah, tough night, I was there too. Ronnie wasn't on either. But, hey they play a lot of shows and I've seen more greatness than sadness.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 13, 2009 09:35

LOL Hairball

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: June 13, 2009 10:49

I've been to the Frankfurt show 2007 and it was one of the worst Stones performances in the history of Stones performances. Keiths' playing was almost non existant. And when he played it was bad. Same with Ronnie. It was the first Stones show for my buddy who never got why I am so into the Stones - and since it is a bigger mystery for him than before.

That concert was bullshit from start to finish. I still want my money back.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: June 13, 2009 12:13

This gig was truly terrible, its been posted by others here before:

But by way of balance, lets also remember the good ole days :

Always blew a second chance......

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 13, 2009 13:07

Arthritis, booze, ageing and the 'fall' have all contributed to the decline in Keith's guitar playing. The former is the key reason, imo.

The first signs - though minor - were probably there circa '97 and the fingers have steadily gotten worse ever since.

I still thoroughly enjoy listening to and watching the Keith of today, but I do long for the days when he could readily and consistently pull off top-notch solo's and fluid rhythm work.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 13, 2009 14:12

Justin
Might as well start with nearly every solo on "Shine A Light." If you don't follow much live stuff nor have some kind of ear for music you won't be able to hear the lack of creativity or gusto with Keith's solos as of late.

well you hear that it's cacaphony even when you're deaf. but so what. he delivered more outstanding guitar moments then anybody else...but still i'm surprised that a guy who is so gifted musicaly plays those out of tune/rhythm solos over and over again...it seems he is not listening at all what the others do...a miracle!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 13, 2009 14:53

It's not always about making mistakes. The problem with Keith, IMHO, is that he's not playing enough. Too many pauses, too many holes, too lazy.

If you look at Keith guitar parts in a typical 1973 show, they're still very simple. But the energy is there, the hard work. Of course, his style has evolved a bit since that -- it's more about "weaving" and rhythm/lead now, but the energy level should be the same. Perhaps the Handsome Girls shows from '78 are a good example of what Keith's and Ron's playing "should" or "could" be like today.

But if he's limited by his arthritis, we'll have to respect that.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 13, 2009 15:00

Phew! The difference in the two videos Tricky76 posted is staggering. Can't believe it's the same band (which it, in all fairness, isn't quite). When I watch recent outings from the Stones, I tend to forget how freakin' good they were 40 years ago, which I suppose is a good thing...

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: June 13, 2009 16:46

LieB

But if he's limited by his arthritis, we'll have to respect that.

The band should, in turn, respect the audience and not charge them £160 a ticket to watch a session band featuring dancing by Keith Richards and Ron Wood. Seriously Blondie and Mick are the best guitarists in this band now, which is depressing as hell.

I actually don't think its limited to Keith - I think the core band are just bored of being the band, but they're too caught up with the cash it generates to call it a day. I was listening to the Bigger Bang the other day and realised that for about 12 of the songs the drum track is the same - Charlie just speeds it up or slows it down depending on the BPM of the track. And Ron can play really well still, when he wants to....shame its never when he's playing with the Stones :

Its understandable after 40 + years - I'd probably get bored of playing Brown Sugar 200 times a year, but then I'd simply pack up and go home to lie on my enormous bed of cash.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2009 17:11

OK Frankfurt was bad (or BAD!) now get over it and forget it.
The Stones have previously played pretty awful shows, which for the most part were favourably received by fans. I don't think any songs from Frankfurt'07 are any worse than the horribly messy uninspired JJF from Stockholm'98... But the Stockholm'98 show is held in high regards by fans (some even want the CC boot in their colection).
So the problem is : why are we NOW so harsh with the boys?

I shall add this band is a like a diesel engine. It takes the boys a few gigs to warm-up and give their ful potential. Fort Collins'69 was worse than the MSG gigs. Vancouver'72 was worse than Charlotte, Phili'81 was worse than Hampton.
They've been doing it for ages : *slowly* warming-up.

Get the idea now?

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 13, 2009 17:38

"Brown sugar" in Melb 2006 was a trainwreck cos the band kicked in after two and Keith played three opening riffs and never heard (or paid attention to) what the rest of the band was doing.

To be fair to Keith but if he's opening the song the rest of the band should have been paying attention to him.

Plenty of mistakes but too many brilliant moments eclipse them and delegate them to the "who gives a sh it bin" for mine.

I do wish he would practice more (esp lead guitaring) however and give the showboating a toned down look.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 13, 2009 17:44

Listen to the intro. of Under My Thumb on the majority of the 1981 shows, or the few versions of Tops they did on the same tour.

J

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: June 13, 2009 18:36

OMG, what was going wrong in the Werchter show? How could everyone sound so horrible at once?

Date: June 13, 2009 18:44

Jagger is so funny to watch in the Werchter show; the way he is trying to conduct them back into ...a semblance; with that head-mic on, LOL. Was that "Satisfaction"? Keith just seem s to shrug; someone needed to stop and adapt but it was like no one wanted to give., Even DJ was in on it; trying to head-nod them back together.

Ronnie sounded GREAT in that other Art Wood trib clip; have never seen him with that kind of guitar, I realize. Even though his riffs are simple and basic he is playing them tight and precise with enthusiasm.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 13, 2009 19:40

Tricky76

for about 12 of the songs the drum track is the same - Charlie just speeds it up or slows it down depending on the BPM of the track.

exactly my feeling. and he doesn´t really swing or groove anymore.

keith?, let´s hope it will work at least somehow next time they are around.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 13, 2009 19:53

Tricky76
when he wants to....shame its never when he's playing with the Stones :

@#$%& shame indeed. Perfect example of how much space Keith demands when on stage with Ronnie. Ronnie could lead the band if he was alotted the proper space and recognition. But Keith is so unpredictable where he'll switch into lead playing more than rhythm. Keith would never allow Ronnie to overshadow him like that. If only Ronnie would play like this with the Stones...it would force Keith to get pissed and play louder and more passionately.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 13, 2009 20:11

Damn, Ronnie is cool as ferk on that Art Wood tribute clip!

Real basic, but the sound and spirit is hot! Cool 60's r&b tone.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 13, 2009 20:40

Brno 2007 - Brown Sugar (.. but the worst thing
in this clip aint Keef´s fuckupin' of the intro,
but the stoned dude close to the recorder/camera
that makes extremely annoyin' sounds along the whole song)

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:02

Dang, I think I heard more hot playing out of Ronnie in that 50 second clip than in any of the last 4 Stones shows I have seen combined. What's the deal with that? I was just flipping thru cable the other day and Let's Spend the Night Together came on and I watched most of it, noting how GOOD Ronnie (Keith too) sounded in it and wondered how those can even be the same people we hear today. Hell, if you watch St. Louis 1997 and compare it to Shine a Light, you wonder if it's the same guy playing. I hate to sound so negative but it's hard to deny, anybody with ears has to admit that.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:04

Oh and regarding that "Satisfaction" - I had to stop 34 seconds in. PAINFUL.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:04

Savin Keef's @ss, aint that the whole story.. ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home