Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
UNIVERSAL REISSUES U.S. SALES - FIRST WEEK
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 21, 2009 00:45

According to Soundscan:

Stickey Fingers 4,326
Goats Head Soup 1,032
It's Only Rock and Roll 544
Black and Blue 827

Pecman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 00:54 by Pecman.

Re: UNIVERSAL REISSUES U.S. SALES - FIRST WEEK
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 21, 2009 00:57

Ouch!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2009 01:53

Yikes. That's rough.

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: May 21, 2009 02:33

I think it will jump up when Exile comes out.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 21, 2009 02:34

only because of the extras

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 21, 2009 03:28

Actually, I'm impressed by the sales of Sticky Fingers, that's enough for a Top 200 placement but it will chart on the Catalog chart.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:39

Who on earth would buy them with nothing new? Not me...unless 'Its Only Rock 'N Roll' has been remastered to sound better. Does anyone know if there's improvement in the sound of this one?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:48

Those numbers make sense. I thought Sticky would sell the most by far. It's by far the best album. Is it 4 times better than GHS? Or 8 times better than IORR? Yeah, actually, it is.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:50

no market for this "product".....older folks already have 15 copies of the albums, young kids don't know/care, and everyone else has moved on long ago.....a new lp of original material once a year every year keeps a working band current and relevant...recording and touring new songs is the life blood of a band...so it's obvious there is no interest from the stones on continuing further..

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: May 21, 2009 05:13

lunar!!!
no market for this "product".....older folks already have 15 copies of the albums, young kids don't know/care, and everyone else has moved on long ago...

This is exactly true, a perfect explanation for the above numbers. Of course it's only the first week, but it's doubtful there will be any huge sales of these albums in the short term.

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: May 21, 2009 05:39

Those numbers should drive the point home to the entire Stones organization that these releases are severely lacking....BONUS TRACKS!!! Alternates(at least remixes if not true alternates)/Outtakes (even 1 or 2 per LP/CD)/Rehearsals/Live materials....Honestly it is truly shameful that any of us should even need to be discussing this!! These reissues should have us all exclaiming how proud and fantastic it finally is to have some extras in official capacity!!! This makes me EVEN MORE SKEPTICAL with the supposed plans for EOMS later this year!!! I mean heck if not extra tracks how about some expanded type liners/artwork with unreleased pics, commentaries, interviews from each period....I could go on and on.

Shame on the Stones for not giving us a bit of extras!!! Disgraceful if you really want to know my opinion (NOT that any of you do but I know most if not everyone here agrees).

This is not going to make me any less of a Stones fan but it surely is SUCH a MAJOR dissapointment for us all!!!
Perhaps our dreams will someday be fulfilled but Im afraid as many of you here will concur we may very well be too old to give a rat's A#@!!!!

Finally, please do excuse my rant as I am just VERY dissapointed with UMG & the entire Stone organization about the reissues!!! This is something from within that has been brewing for MANY years now!!! I will take this opportunity to thank everyone who has ever had a hand in recording or obtaining unofficial material in whatever capacity and making it available to us diehards here which I would say we are all diehards to some extent on this board!!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 21, 2009 06:06

the stones suck at this type of thing and iam not surprised at all at the lack of extras, and i will be shocked if we ever get the vaults opened up, every other band does it but the stones continue to disgrace themselves, you would think that the ridiculous sales figures would make them do something different for a change

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 21, 2009 06:13

.........KATY PERRY CAPITOL 9,128 units came in at #50 so Sticky will make top 200 for sure

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 21, 2009 06:19

WHY DONT THEY JUST FKIN RETIRE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2009 08:12

Any info on Pear Jam's reissue of Ten?

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: May 21, 2009 08:52

Jeez get a grip folks-these albums are 35-40 years old and have been in print for all those times.That's pretty good number for Sticky Fingers considing there no bonus material.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 21, 2009 09:38

Pecman
According to Soundscan:

Stickey Fingers 4,326
Goats Head Soup 1,032
Black and Blue 827

Pecman

... perhaps UMC will sell a 100 copies every week from each cd the next five years, so the company will sell 100 x 14 x 50 x 5, = 350.000 copies of old material only in the US.

And the second effect: The Rolling Stones will be "re-stored", too.

I like this campaign ... ;-)

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 21, 2009 12:07

HighwireC, I dont thnk this is really a "campaign". Its the Stones back catalog changing labels, nothing more.

Problem is, unlike the Beatles, the Stones already had their big "remaster" campaign in the 90s, with Virgin. The only thing that could have fuelled sales for the Stones once more would have been the inclusion of at least a couple of bonus tracks per album. Universal should have known this. The Stones should have known this. Then again, the Stones probably dont care as long as their guaranteed license payment is big enough. There are no exact figures available, and without knowing what Universal actually has guaranteed in payments for the catalog its difficult to figure if the total sales of "350.000 copies of old material only in the US" in 5 years (!) of 14 albums (!) will be a desaster for Universal or not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 12:10 by alimente.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 21, 2009 13:20

It's not UMG that should have released the back catalogue it's Hip-O Select...

[www.hip-oselect.com]
("coming this week : "Black And Blue" limited to 3000 copies worldwide")

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2009 14:14

Pecman
According to Soundscan:

Stickey Fingers 4,326
Goats Head Soup 1,032
Black and Blue 827

Pecman

Wow. Over 6,700 units for a country of just 300 million. Impressive.

Those first week sales really justify the decision to target the remasters at 'new' audiences instead of also trying to attract the fans who've bought them previously and who would have snapped them up again had they contained bonus material.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 21, 2009 14:19

actually to me seems a great result for Sticky Fingers.
selling over 4.000 copies with an album out in 1971, reissued with no extras and no big publicity.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 21, 2009 14:21

dcba

[www.hip-oselect.com]

That's a VERY good point. They would have done wonders with the back catalogue. I was HUGELY impressed with what they did with The Jam's Snap (a hardback book with three CDs in it - the best sounding Jam remasters too), ditto Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear and In Our Lifetime, plus Lee Perry's Super Ape, Max Romeo's War ..., and the Eddie Kendricks back catalogue.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2009 14:45

farawayeyes2
actually to me seems a great result for Sticky Fingers.
selling over 4.000 copies with an album out in 1971, reissued with no extras and no big publicity.

I dont know how things were in the US regarding publicity, but in the UK at least there was plenty of it with the reissues being reviewed in most of the daily papers/music press as well as several online reviews.

Considering the fact that the Stones back catalogue shifts 1 million units a year worldwide and Sticky Fingers is their 3rd biggest selling studio album, I can't see how anyone can view those sales as anything other than appalling, and the decision to reissue these albums without extras as anything other than ill-judged.

Presumably, the same people who bought these albums would have bought them anyway had there been extras. However, a larger amount of potential buyers won't be interested without the extras. As Universal have reportedly paid the Stones £5 million for their contract, it would have been much more cost effective surely had they tempted us with something extra. If they can do it with Exile (so we're told) they can surely do it with the others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 14:49 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 21, 2009 15:01

dcba

[www.hip-oselect.com]

........on www.rhapsody.com Hip-O is credited along with Universal.

Date: May 21, 2009 15:23

... now I realize why The Rolling Stones will never ask their hardcore-fans how to do their business.

Have a look at IORR-diskussionboard:

- The CD-tracklists are wrong, most wrong is ABB.

- The setlists are wrong, more ballads please, aahm, no, more roch, more funk, more ... more ... oh, no more.

- The videos are wrong, too much sex, oh no, should be more, indeed,

etc etc etc.

But The Rolling Stones are still the best selling group in rockbusiness (CDs, DVDs, LPs, cassettes, tickets, merchandise, etc etc), that can't be true,

If these fans would have rouled the Rolling Stones, the would have been bankrupt since many years, I'm sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 15:32 by HighwireC.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 21, 2009 16:06

HighwireC

... perhaps UMC will sell a 100 copies every week from each cd the next five years, so the company will sell 100 x 14 x 50 x 5, = 350.000 copies of old material only in the US.

And the second effect: The Rolling Stones will be "re-stored", too.

I like this campaign ... ;-)

Again with the five-year "campaign". So far, they're not getting very many votes.

Date: May 21, 2009 16:22

tatters

Again with the five-year "campaign". So far, they're not getting very many votes.

It's not an election-campaign, it's a business-campaign, no "voters" needed, but The Rolling Stones will sell enough hot stuff and earn enough $$ or better €€, too, to pay their girlfriends ...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2009 16:32

HighwireC
... now I realize why The Rolling Stones will never ask their hardcore-fans how to do their business.

Have a look at IORR-diskussionboard:

- The CD-tracklists are wrong, most wrong is ABB.

- The setlists are wrong, more ballads please, aahm, no, more roch, more funk, more ... more ... oh, no more.

- The videos are wrong, too much sex, oh no, should be more, indeed,

etc etc etc.

But The Rolling Stones are still the best selling group in rockbusiness (CDs, DVDs, LPs, cassettes, tickets, merchandise, etc etc), that can't be true,

If these fans would have rouled the Rolling Stones, the would have been bankrupt since many years, I'm sure.

Wrong !
"These fans" are and were their biggest ones for decades meanwhile, and "these fans" got the right to do those lists,votes whatever...because "these fans" bought
their CDs,DVDs,LPs,cassettes(???-ok,very long time ago...)tickets,merchandise,etc etc.

No one really wants to rule the Stones,it´s just sometimes people are getting
sick of how they were and are ruled by those Kleins and Cohls.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 21, 2009 16:39

shortfatfanny

With the obvious exception of HighwireC, it must be said....hes obviously happy with whatever the Stones throw at him.

Date: May 21, 2009 16:52

alimente
shortfatfanny

With the obvious exception of HighwireC, it must be said....hes obviously happy with whatever the Stones throw at him.

Huch? Stones Throw something at me? That would be nice.
The truth: I have to run and to pay for those "shit", as other people, too.

But I'm free to decide, what I'll buy, I'm not forced weather by the Stones, nor Klein, nor Cohl,to buy

Don't buy those Stones-"shit", but let those people and stonesfans free, who don't have all CDs etc already and are very lucky to find some of them in stores by now.

Not all people are travelling across nations for years to follow their idols crying about to expensive tickets, and only a very few fans are gathering in forums and fanclubs ...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home