Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Irritating, Useless, Near-Discordant Piano Keys at the End of Street Fighting Man
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 20, 2009 04:47

just heard SFM studio version on the radio the other day and noticed once again, how at the very end there are these little piano keys just kind of stuck on top of the track -- what is the point of those useless, distracting (kind of high-pitched) keys which to my mind take away from and even distract one from the song.

They seem to be just thrown in there. I have always hated those, they just seem stupid.

Comments please -- explain, disagree, whatever you like.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-20 04:47 by timbernardis.

Re: Track Talk: Irritating, Useless, Near-Discordant Piano Keys at the End of Street Fighting Man
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 20, 2009 05:08

the musical equivalent of anarchy....after the revolution....I think it fits...

JR

Re: Track Talk: Irritating, Useless, Near-Discordant Piano Keys at the End of Street Fighting Man
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 20, 2009 05:20

I think it fits very good!
It adds to the agressive feeling and they often worked with this kind of endings.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: June 20, 2009 06:14

Agree with stone-relics and CousinC: the passages referenced are anarchic, agressive, and most deliberately chaotic.

The keyword in timbernardis's post may be 'near' discordant. They're definitely not out of key and were clearly placed on purpose.

Also, are we sure these are actually piano notes? They remind me of whatever instrument was used on 'Backstreet Girl'. May not be piano per se. Thoughts?

An interesting topic - and most welcome; I've been listening to this song for 4 decades and never had the chance to talk about the ending with other listeners!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 20, 2009 06:38

Dear Doctor is the only less than unbelievably great track on that record...which just so happens to be the greatest record ever recorded. The amazing thing is that there are records which are flawless (Dear Doctor makes Beggars not flawless), yet the rest of Beggars is so incredible, it still blows the doors off any other record ever made.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:45

I know what you mean - they really serve no purpose but they don't bother me.

This song is just so unbelievably brilliant.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:58

I have to disagree with you on this one Tim. Niki Hopkins Piano Playing is really cool on and the production makes it mix in wonderfully on this track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-20 10:59 by ryanpow.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:59

Wasn't Nicky Hopkins who performs the outro piano ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2009 11:15

It's the perfect epitaph, and should have been extended longer.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 20, 2009 17:49

ryanpow
I have to disagree with you on this one Tim. Niki Hopkins Piano Playing is really cool on and the production makes it mix in wonderfully on this track.

now i am strictly speaking of the very last part of the song, not on the piano playing throughout

p

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 20, 2009 17:55

If you're listening to SFM on the radio (FM) You are listening to a compressed version of the song. It's done basically to get the sound over the airwaves wich might bring out the piano a little more. Put the song on your stereo and listen again. It will be more balanced. Let us know Tim

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 20, 2009 18:02

I think it's totally fits the song ...it sounds like the streets fighters march out of the street.

I think "More Hot Rocks" got a good point, if the piano sound to clear it maybe sound stupid, I just listen to the song and the piano sounds way back in the mix

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 20, 2009 18:20

that piano outro is a masterpiece, great ending. for me it even takes the song to some greater heights, shows it's not easy FM oriented tune. smiling smiley

it changes the mood of the song, doesn't it?

Date: June 20, 2009 18:27

I think it fits the song very well; different ears can perceive different notes and harmonies as discordant or as perfectly pleasing. Whichever here, the song is a bit anarchic, so shouldn't discord make sense?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 20, 2009 19:11

i like them. and they are all in key! 1st 3rd 4th 5th 6th of a major chord (if i listened well).
they fit perfectly!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 20, 2009 19:30

A Rolling Stones single that is noisy...at the end too...yes, it´s hard to forgive that, I understand...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2009 21:20

timbernardis

now i am strictly speaking of the very last part of the song, not on the piano playing throughout

p

Understood. I just played it again to make sure I knew the part you're refering to. I think its a nice touch on the soung. But, to each his Own as they say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-20 21:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 20, 2009 21:29

That piano ending is amazing!!!

Take a close listen to whats being played, those high fast triplets(is it triplets!?). That's some fan-bloody-tastic piano playing going on there especially in the context of what Nicky is still playing with the left hand! eye popping smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 20, 2009 22:10

I think the piano at the end works perfectly

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: June 20, 2009 22:45

I, myself have always loved that piano part in the fadeout ... to me it absolutely fits the song

I give it a 2 thumbs upthumbs up

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 20, 2009 23:42

How can this guy hate anything about one of the Stones greatest songs. Geeez. Talk about picky

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 20, 2009 23:43

.......and hate is such a dirty word

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 21, 2009 02:49

I think Jimmy Miller is the King of the fade-out. So often there is something going on there, those added touches I credit to him that provide interest right down to the final sound.

Later, Taylor made the job easier. Let him play, find a groove, hit a stride for a few moments and fade him out. It's a tantalizing device. What did we miss? Like looking through a window knowing something is just out of your view.

But back to BB: Dear Doctor is was it is, but it is a wonderfully written song. A tale told with absolute clarity of vision. There is not a word out of place.

Date: June 21, 2009 04:35

Good words: Jimmy Miller - King of the Fadeout.

Actually a dubious title, come to think of it. LOL.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 21, 2009 07:35

I don't think SFM studio would be as good without the piano outro, it adds colour

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 21, 2009 07:55

I have to say that Chuck even does it justice on the piano outro on the Stripped version....

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 21, 2009 09:05

"Dear Doctor is the only less than unbelievably great track on that record"

Really? That surprises me as I thought almost everyone in these parts would love this track. I think it's a cracker and piss funny to boot. Was fifteen when I first heard it and remember giggling most the way thru it.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 21, 2009 17:33

squando
"Dear Doctor is the only less than unbelievably great track on that record"

Really? That surprises me as I thought almost everyone in these parts would love this track. I think it's a cracker and piss funny to boot. Was fifteen when I first heard it and remember giggling most the way thru it.

I think of it in the same way I think of Rainy Day Womeny #12 & #35. BTW...why do we still have to call songs by their BS titles even now? RDW 12/35 was b/c the record company rejected "Everybody Must Get Stoned" so Dylan looked out the window & saw 2 females walking in the rain...the #s were their apprx. ages.

Star Star bugs me too...the song is called Star @#$%&. Just more record exec. nonsense yet we still bow to it. BOO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-21 19:38 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 21, 2009 17:55

Yeah, like many pointed out, that piano thing is a masterpiece. Absolute freakin' brilliance.

King of the fadeout was indeed a great title! grinning smiley

I love Dear Doctor too. Took me a while to appreciate it, but the lyrics are wicked.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 22, 2009 15:00

I've always LOVED the piano noodling at the end of SFM...shocked the OP dislikes it...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home