Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Responsise to Kiss and Why they will never be in the Hall
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 14:56

stones77
Kiss were sort of like a step on the start of a trail if you were 15 in 1975. Before that, when you were about 12, you heard 'Stony End' by Barbara Streisand on the radio, or Neil Diamond's 'Cracklin Rosie' and 'Lean On Me' by Bill Withers. You heard 'Brandy' by Looking Glass.. . the one about Roller Skating by Melanie,' then cooler stuff like 'Brother Louie' by Stories, 'Layla by Clapton,'Will It Go Round in Circles' by Billy Preston, 'Drift Away' by Dobie Gray, 'That Lady' by Isley Brothers, 'Frankenstein' by Edgar Winter, 'If You Want Me To Stay' by Sly Stone, 'Living For the City' by Steveie Wonder.. "Angie' by the Stones ..it was a good time to be 12 or 13 and have a transister radio...then you see Kiss one night late on TV when yer 15, and yer kinda bombed on Dad's vodka, on something called Don Kirschner's Concerts and yer like...wtf was that?? So you get the record and then Kiss leads you into Aerosmith, who were big in 1975 too but were better musicians, and whose song 'Walkin the Dog' leads you to Rufus Thomas, who leads you into what with all the Aerosmith/Stones comparisons back then, and also since they both covered that song on their debuts,to the Holy Grail; the Stones. And the Stones of course lead you in a million different directions to to Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Slim Harpo, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations etc., etc.,etc., and your entire world becomes kaleidoscopic. Now music is a cosmic force. Now your ears are open to anything and everything. So you save your dough and you get yer guitar and try to learn the riffs, you hack around in yer shitty high school bands but all they wanna do is play songs by Kansas, and so by the time yer 50 you still suck at guitar, but cranking it up and blowing out the windows capoed at the 4th fret playing 'Happy' or 'Street Fightin Man' when the wife and kids go out.. never felt better. I look forward to being 60 and beyond and still doing that, but only louder because I'll be deafer. It's good for the soul and it keeps you young. So Kiss is good for that, I guess, for being a long forgotten step on the trail to that.
good post .i agree kiss makes you feel good .it's fun music .nowadays anything that gets you thru is a big plus !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: May 18, 2010 14:58

Come On
Theres just one band amongst all of them Heavymetallers that could be in a rocknroll hall of fame , and thats METALLICA, and only because of their 2 last albums..the rest is crap for kids...just my humble opionion..smoking smiley

st anger and death magnetic are garbage. you must be smoking something good

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:14

keefriffhard4life
Come On
Theres just one band amongst all of them Heavymetallers that could be in a rocknroll hall of fame , and thats METALLICA, and only because of their 2 last albums..the rest is crap for kids...just my humble opionion..smoking smiley

dont bogart that joint my friend pass it over to me .i like metallica

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:48

Carlos Santana said of Gene Simmons, "He's not a musician, he's an entertainer.
Kiss is Las Vegas entertainment, so he wouldn't know what music is anyway."

IMO Santana's statement was a bit harsh, but I've never been a KISS fan either.

There's so many great bands that should be in the HOF but aren't. The Zombies, the Small Faces, the Faces, King Crimson, Captain Beefheart, etc....and of course Nicky Hopkins should be in there too, in the 'Sidemen' category (its crazy that he ain't in there yet).

Stones77, I really related to your post. Coulda wrote it myself!

Date: May 19, 2010 00:17

The Greek
keefriffhard4life
Come On

dont bogart that joint my friend pass it over to me .i like metallica

i like metallica too but it appears that original post is saying st anger and death magnetic are their best albums

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:36

Kiss, musically is terrible.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 08:27

The Greek
stones77
Kiss were sort of like a step on the start of a trail if you were 15 in 1975. Before that, when you were about 12, you heard 'Stony End' by Barbara Streisand on the radio, or Neil Diamond's 'Cracklin Rosie' and 'Lean On Me' by Bill Withers. You heard 'Brandy' by Looking Glass.. . the one about Roller Skating by Melanie,' then cooler stuff like 'Brother Louie' by Stories, 'Layla by Clapton,'Will It Go Round in Circles' by Billy Preston, 'Drift Away' by Dobie Gray, 'That Lady' by Isley Brothers, 'Frankenstein' by Edgar Winter, 'If You Want Me To Stay' by Sly Stone, 'Living For the City' by Steveie Wonder.. "Angie' by the Stones ..it was a good time to be 12 or 13 and have a transister radio...then you see Kiss one night late on TV when yer 15, and yer kinda bombed on Dad's vodka, on something called Don Kirschner's Concerts and yer like...wtf was that?? So you get the record and then Kiss leads you into Aerosmith, who were big in 1975 too but were better musicians, and whose song 'Walkin the Dog' leads you to Rufus Thomas, who leads you into what with all the Aerosmith/Stones comparisons back then, and also since they both covered that song on their debuts,to the Holy Grail; the Stones. And the Stones of course lead you in a million different directions to to Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Slim Harpo, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations etc., etc.,etc., and your entire world becomes kaleidoscopic. Now music is a cosmic force. Now your ears are open to anything and everything. So you save your dough and you get yer guitar and try to learn the riffs, you hack around in yer shitty high school bands but all they wanna do is play songs by Kansas, and so by the time yer 50 you still suck at guitar, but cranking it up and blowing out the windows capoed at the 4th fret playing 'Happy' or 'Street Fightin Man' when the wife and kids go out.. never felt better. I look forward to being 60 and beyond and still doing that, but only louder because I'll be deafer. It's good for the soul and it keeps you young. So Kiss is good for that, I guess, for being a long forgotten step on the trail to that.
good post .i agree kiss makes you feel good .it's fun music .nowadays anything that gets you thru is a big plus !!!!!!!!!!!!!

well thanks man

I don't know about Metallica either.. but I guess if they'll take ABBA they'll take just about anybody. I don't consider ABBA or Metallica to be 'rock and roll.'

After I wrote my last post I pulled out my old 1975 vinyl version of 'Kiss Alive,' the Cobo Hall one, which I bought when I was 15 and still have. I kept all my old vinyl because at first I resisted digital and the cd revolution because I thought the sound sucked, but then vinyl all but disappeared in the stores and they forced you to buy cd's and 'upgrade' all your vinyl to the new technology, the bastards. Anyway, I put on my vinyl of Kiss Alive, I played it loud,I haven't heard it in about 35 years, and strangely enough it didn't suck half as bad as I expected. Of course it's overdubbed all to hell because these guys could barely play even if they weren't jumping around all over the place, but it brought back piles of memories, stoned ones, mostly. Sure, some of the tunes plod along like a dinosaur stuck in a tar pit, but other ones are elevated by Ace Frehley's guitar work and solos. After 35 years, every one of those solos came back to me as if they were tattooed somewhere in my brain. It's great to know I have not (yet at least) totally lost my mind because I actually remembered this shit. Hearing those solos, the notes were like sparks flying off; I knew exactly what the next sequence or flurry of notes would be, after all that time. I don't know if that makes Frehley the greatest guitarist ever or not, but it does mean he did, once upon a time, pull off some memorable solos. To that I will give him credit. Some people think Kiss Alive is one of the greatest live albums ever, to them I say just listen to more music. Once I heard 'Live at Leeds' by the Who, Lou Reed's 'Rock and Roll Animal,' 'Live at the Fillmore' by Allman Brothers and of course 'Ya Ya's,' to name just a couple, 'Kiss Alive' became pretty much pointless. Anyway, I wouldn't know but I would bet Ace Frehley is a Stones fan and grew up admiring Keith and Mick Taylor's guitar work. Frehley to me is the only one in Kiss who is a half decent musician. His vibrato makes me think he listened to Mick Taylor more than once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 08:30 by stones77.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1376
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home