Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jagger wanted Wyman out...
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 30, 2009 10:31

I read Bill Germans book which is a fun read on a slow sunday.
He writes that he does a interview with Bill somewhere in '86 (I think) where Bill said that Mick wanted to get Bill kicked out. He said he didn''t knew about it at the time and that the others "out voted" Mick. Does anyone have more information about this? I had never read about it before.
Bill German doesn't really portray a very charming image of Jagger in his book which I found a bit dissapointing to read...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Re: Jagger wanted Wyman out...
Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:06

when did bill say this happened? did he want him kicked out in '84 or ''64?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:28

>> He writes that he does a interview with Bill somewhere in '86 (I think) <<

what page is that on, please and thank you?
i'm reading Bill German's book now and i guess i haven't gotten to that bit yet

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:51

I know that in an interview for the TV in 1994,
didn't remembered which one, MICK was joking
about Bill:
"Two notes Bill, just two notes" facing the TV reporter!
It wasn't only for the fun!

HMN

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:57

I know that Mick was extremely upset about "Mandy-gate" and feared that it would make Bill's entry into various countries difficult...
At one point, Bill could have been taken to court. And I must admit, upset as I was with Bill's behaviour, I detested everything about him back then. I understand why MJ freaked out when the scandal came out in the open.

Date: May 30, 2009 12:30

It''s on page 107. The interview was in february 1986 and stated that Jagger wanted him out on several occasions.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-30 12:30 by Wuudy.

Date: May 30, 2009 13:46

Wuudy
I read Bill Germans book which is a fun read on a slow sunday.
He writes that he does a interview with Bill somewhere in '86 (I think) where Bill said that Mick wanted to get Bill kicked out. He said he didn''t knew about it at the time and that the others "out voted" Mick. Does anyone have more information about this? I had never read about it before.
Bill German doesn't really portray a very charming image of Jagger in his book which I found a bit dissapointing to read...

Yeah, me too Wuudy. I mean the "bit disappointing read". I got a little bored in the 2nd part of the book. I thought the 1st half was phenomenal.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 30, 2009 15:06

Addicted
I know that Mick was extremely upset about "Mandy-gate" and feared that it would make Bill's entry into various countries difficult...
At one point, Bill could have been taken to court. And I must admit, upset as I was with Bill's behaviour, I detested everything about him back then. I understand why MJ freaked out when the scandal came out in the open.

most likely,when he involved himself with a 13 yr old girl, Bill Wyman knew exactly how Jagger would react. He (Wyman) is a very astute person, and would have factored in all the consequences. If he wasn't ready to quit I doubt if he would have done that..

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 30, 2009 15:43

but its ok to have a baby with a 21 year old woman while you are still married EH mick, oh and buy the way you were 55 lol,and yes i do think wyman should have been prosecuted for what he did, its just that mick also does disgraceful things is my point, the old pot calling the kettle black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-30 15:49 by melillo.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 30, 2009 16:33

melillo
but its ok to have a baby with a 21 year old woman while you are still married EH mick, oh and buy the way you were 55 lol,and yes i do think wyman should have been prosecuted for what he did, its just that mick also does disgraceful things is my point, the old pot calling the kettle black

How old was Mackenzie Phillips when Mick was having relations with her? I can't remember, but I believe she was a teenager.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 30, 2009 16:36

yes thats another great example

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 30, 2009 20:44

CindyC- I believe (in Mackenzies book) she says she was 14!!

BUT, the best thing that happened to Bill was having an xtra big ole amp that Keith and Brian could use!! I think thats what closed the deal on him getting in.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 30, 2009 21:34

Mackenzie Phillips
AKA Laura Mackenzie Phillips

Born: 10-Nov-1959
Birthplace: Alexandria, VA

Race or Ethnicity: White
Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States
Executive summary: Julie on One Day at a Time

Raised in a rock-and-roll household, Mackenzie Phillips was always exposed to materials and behavior most families would find shocking. Her father was John Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas, and her stepmother was Michelle Phillips, also in the band. The biggest names in pop culture were frequent houseguests, and Phillips has said she started using marijuana and LSD when she was 12. Her father showed her how to shoot up when she was 18, and not long after she was aggressively seduced by Mick Jagger, visiting in the Phillips home, who told her, "I've been waiting to do this since you were ten years old."

She was born Nov. 1959, and the affair was in 1977. So, 18, not 14. But his "I've been wanting to do this since you were ten", pisses me off. If it's true. The quote is quite frequent on the net, though.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 30, 2009 21:40

Also,Mick showed a reasonable benevalent attitude towards Keith and his problems with various legal authorities in the 1970's.
Using heroin wasn't legal either, nor a good example to others.
I suppose Bill was (possibly) expendable, whereas Keith was not - unless he had got put away,that is.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: May 30, 2009 21:59

scottkeef
BUT, the best thing that happened to Bill was having an xtra big ole amp that Keith and Brian could use!! I think thats what closed the deal on him getting in.

You may be right but at the point Andrew Oldham signed them there was no reason to keep Bill just for his big amp. If they didn't think he was the man for the job, they would have axed him then. They had no problem with kicking the piano player out at that point.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 30, 2009 22:09

heroin to me isn't as big a sin as seducing a pubescent by a wide margin. heroin is something you do to yourself. taking a young person's innocence is way worse. Just my two cents.

and much as i love wyman's playing, i don't think i could be in a band with a pedophile. i don't think i could stand to be around the person knowing that about him.

Date: May 30, 2009 22:31

Yes, I'm sure by the time they found out he was a good bassist he didnt have to worry about needing an xtra amp!
Thanks for the info, addicted. I was thinking all that happened in 74 or 75 but guess I was wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-30 23:05 by scottkeef.

Date: May 30, 2009 23:13

TippyToe
scottkeef

You may be right but at the point Andrew Oldham signed them there was no reason to keep Bill just for his big amp. If they didn't think he was the man for the job, they would have axed him then. They had no problem with kicking the piano player out at that point.

Good point I mean Bill wasn't exactly a looker was he - would have been no loss image wise (if that was what mattered).

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 03:50

Mick was jealous Bill was mr. Stray Cat Blues!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 31, 2009 03:51

Bill was always known as a bit of a moaner and complainer. When the band wasn't getting along in the mid 80's, having Bill around with his morose attitude wouldn't have helped.

In Marianne Faithful's book she makes it clear she didn't like him, and she said the only reason the Stones kept him around was to have someone to play the live dates. That said, I personally really liked his playing.

Date: May 31, 2009 04:08

Yeah, and Bill hung around alot longer than Marianne!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 31, 2009 05:16

I would like to see Bill play again with the Rolling Stones, whether it be a one night appearance or a year long tour. I am not sure that it will happen but I can keep hoping it does.

Mike

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 31, 2009 06:26

scottkeef
Yeah, and Bill hung around alot longer than Marianne!

Good pointthumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 31, 2009 07:41

I dont care about the 'sins' of the Stones, or rather I am interested as bits of insight into character, or aspects of their dense collective biography - but always TOTALLY irrelevent to their art...Heck, Mandy???? Mick's irritatiopn with the increasingly passive aggressive Wyman notwithstanding, lets recall that Bill, a True Stone tho he remains, near-quits on many occasions during his 30 tenure i.e. when he's too occupied with Tucky Buzzard to appear on half of "Exile"; or acting out (sigh) against Keith's problems punching the studio time clock because a habit is uh deepening - surely stressful, distracting, frustating, infuriating worrying anyone in the addict's orbit. so on the udder hand, HEY - Bill's barely ON Goats Head Soup (3, maybe 4 cuts?), and more to the point of this thread barely present for 1986's Dirty Work (3 tracks? Lookit Charlie, strung out on smack 'n' speed yet turns in a great performance thruout DW by contrast)...Maybe that's why Mick was feeling like Bill was a drag, and disregarding as a result what is ultimately indisputable - when present and engaged Bill's THE perfect bassist for the Stones;
...hmm, then again Mick maybe had just been forced at gunpoint to listen to Bill's ''82 solo album = the one w/ "A New Fashion" and "Come Back Suzanne" on it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 31, 2009 08:00

RSbestbandever
I would like to see Bill play again with the Rolling Stones, whether it be a one night appearance or a year long tour. I am not sure that it will happen but I can keep hoping it does.

Mike

My wish too.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 31, 2009 08:27

Man can any of you ever address the point of a query?

Wuudy has asked a good question that I would be interested in knowing about too.

Why the hell are we talking about Keith's f'ing herion issues and Mick's love child?

Wuudy I've never heard about any of this and haven't read German's book.

Bill's so called sullen attitude would have had nothing to do with Jagger wanting him gone (if he in fact ever did). It's not like he took 24 years to realise Bill wasn't the most lively chap.

I can think of no reason really why he'd want him gone with the possible exception of Mandy. But given that the Stones were basically inactive between 1983 and 89 and Jagger knew no touring was to be happening I can't see him even wanting Bill being gone for that.

He also bought him a (Monet?) painting with 250 000 pounds as a wedding present in 1989 so I don't think he had too much of a prob with Bill.

Gone for almost two decades now and I still miss ole stone face...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 10:02

He wrote Jumping Jack Flash and Jagger never forgave him for that. Nightly post traumatic stress when playing live with Bill. A curse that haunts Jagger to this day.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 31, 2009 10:05

Well, I think, that in 1986 Mick wanted ALL of them out, and just continue the Stones story under his own name.

I never thought the possibility of "Mandy-gate" having anything to do with BIll's departure before a well-argued post in other thread (sorry can't remember where and by whom). Anyway, the release of STONE ALONE and its bitter tone against Mick and Keith does not reflect that the guy was under the thread of being kicked out. Contrary, he sounds like having had enough and wants to settle the issues of his past.

- Doxa

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 31, 2009 10:10

Yeah good post Doxa.

Haven't read Stone Alone for a long time but sort of thought most of Bill's resentment against Keith and Mick was mostly by the by come the mid eighties.

I can't say I blame the guy. The others were ripped re songwriting royalties I feel and recognition and that seems to have stuck in Bill's butt. I feel I would be exactly the same in his shoes.

Date: May 31, 2009 12:52

We'll probaly never know... How I read it it was more like he talked about Jagger wanting him out in the seventies or even earlier not exactly at '86 though.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home