Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT; Neil Young live - any pointers?
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 28, 2009 22:03

Always quite fancied seeing Neil Young but apart from a few Crazy Horse albums and Harvest haven't got much of his stuff. I just bagged an excellent seat for Nottingham in June (advertised as 'side view' but if you talk to the nice people at the arena box office they'll point you in the right direction of the best seats in the block). What sort of stuff is he playing these days? Fork In the Road I guess but what else? Also, any support and how long are his shows? Cheers

Re: OT; Neil Young live - any pointers?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 28, 2009 22:33

Setlists for 2009 to date - [www.sugarmtn.org]

Shows are around the 2 hour mark. Dont know about support acts.

Last year's shows were in theatres instead of arenas, lasted Bruce-length (2 and three quarter hours, split into acoustic and electric sets (with an intermission) and were opened by his wife Pegi performing with his backing band for half an hour or show. The shows I saw in Manchester were outstanding. Hes touring with the same band and the perfomance levels are still excellent. I'll be at the Dublin and Hyde Park shows this June. Nottingham should be a cracker I'm sure.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 28, 2009 22:39

Neil is a blast live. Very dry sense of humor, and lots of energy. You are in for a treat. There will be hits, but he tosses in some favorite obscurities with regularity. His new stuff will sound great live as well.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: April 28, 2009 22:40

[discussing Nigel's Guitar collection]
Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.
Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?
Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!
Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.
Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.
Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?
Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 28, 2009 23:38

Thanks! I'll do my homework....

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 29, 2009 00:37

Rust Never Sleeps rocks. It doesn't say it, but it's live.

Posted by: kleenex ()
Date: April 29, 2009 01:31

pp

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 29, 2009 02:44

I'm going to see him Sunday at Jazz Fest. He's given a two-hour time slot. A pretty generous time allotment from the producers of Jazz Fest.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2009 03:27

HIS version of "A Day In The Life" is/(was?) quite interesting! And I hate the Beatles...
OTOH I'm afraid he might play 6 or 7 songs from his new album (ouch...)

Date: April 29, 2009 14:29

He hasnt been playing THAT many from it, if you check the setlists.

Perverse bugger that he is, he was playing about 8 or 9 from it at the end of last year though. Four months BEFORE it came out.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 29, 2009 14:48

Just go and have some fun. The guy always has a great band and his setlists seldom disappoint.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: April 29, 2009 17:39

Tonight in Omaha'd. Can't wait!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 29, 2009 19:01

Worth to go ?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 29, 2009 19:26

yeah!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 29, 2009 19:29

Edith Grove
I'm going to see him Sunday at Jazz Fest. He's given a two-hour time slot. A pretty generous time allotment from the producers of Jazz Fest.

EG if you have time, I'd sure appreciate a review of NY and band..and any commentary at all of the scene, music, at JazzFest, if you are so inclined. I've always wanted to go, haven't been able to though. I have been to the Festival Internationale in Lafayette though. Love the music, especially in the clubs at night.
thanks!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 29, 2009 21:32

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-30 18:12 by Lukester.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: April 29, 2009 21:46

Technically, "Rust Never Sleeps" is a live album from a concert in San Francisco with audience noise removed and overdubs added later. Two songs were not recorded in front of an audience, Sail Away and Pocahontas.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 29, 2009 21:58

My favourite Neil Young gig is still seeing him at the Fleadh Finsbury Pk with Booker T and the MGs. just wish they did Green Onions and not dock of the bay as their nod to the MGs history. What Shakey could have brought to Croppers already blistering guitar would have been interesting.

ENJOY.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 29, 2009 22:03

i actually thought dock of the bay was the highlight of the neil/mgs gig i saw.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 29, 2009 22:39

Last year's performance in Cork, Ireland, was quite simply, one of the best gigs I have ever seen.

It was brilliant.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 29, 2009 22:46

agreed, Cork was amazing. But Hammersmith was even better

the man just doesn't grow old

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 29, 2009 22:49

I got my oldest mate back in Ireland ticket for Cork, he was disappointed.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2009 23:07

You're right Gazza, 3 is enough!
I'll wait till the Euro tour starts late June and, from the setlists, I'll take my ticket (or not)

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 30, 2009 00:12

For me the concert in Madrid last year in Rock in Rio, superb!!!
Total passion and great pèrfomer, for me with the Stones, Dylan, Bowie and some other the best ones!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: April 30, 2009 02:43

@#$%&
Technically, "Rust Never Sleeps" is a live album from a concert in San Francisco with audience noise removed and overdubs added later. Two songs were not recorded in front of an audience, Sail Away and Pocahontas.

Quite a few of his albums feature new songs performed live and done that way. Most of the 1987 album 'Life' was recorded in concert with overdubs later added.

Freedom, Zuma, Ragged Glory, Harvest, Tonights The Night, Harvest Moon and Broken Arrow are studio albums which have at least one 'live' song. Time Fades Away is a live album consisting of all new songs taken from different shows. A bit like Rust Never Sleeps.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 30, 2009 02:49

Nanker Phlegm
I got my oldest mate back in Ireland ticket for Cork, he was disappointed.

there were plenty moaning the day after because they expected a set full of 'classics' and acoustic stuff

@#$%& em

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 30, 2009 03:45

duke richardson
Edith Grove

EG if you have time, I'd sure appreciate a review of NY and band..and any commentary at all of the scene, music, at JazzFest, if you are so inclined. I've always wanted to go, haven't been able to though. I have been to the Festival Internationale in Lafayette though. Love the music, especially in the clubs at night.
thanks!

Yeah, no problem, but give me a day or two to recover. Perhaps about this time next week! grinning smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 30, 2009 06:07

@#$%&

yes, and also a documentary of the same title. Cow Palace 78. I was there.

I also just saw him in Lethbridge on Saturday. Good/Great show. Comments coming when i have more time soon.

One quick note: ass kicking version of heyhey mymy, even rougher/cruder (in this case, more effective) guitar licks, better than the original that I saw at the Cow Palace in 78. In moments like that, Neil transcends and reaches another level.

p

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 30, 2009 06:20

The problem with Neil is you never know what your going to get. What kind of mood he'll be in. He certainly has the material to deliver a great show. He also has the nerve to do a walking to a Greendale type of crap show. But I did see an awesome Neil show last Oct. He pulled out many great old classics and delivered them well. Like Gazza said,it pays to check out a recent setlist before going.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 30, 2009 07:15

>The problem with Neil is you never know what your going to get.

That must have been true back in the day but now, anyone w/access to the internet can have a clear idea of what he's up to. These people that attended, for example, a show on the GREENDALE tour and were surprised and/or disappointed simply were *not* paying attention beforehand. Ditto that last CSNY tour -- if these people are that concerned about the setlist they should do a wee bit of research beforehand and spend their time/money accordingly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home