Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Check Leavell guitar gift from the Stones
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 30, 2009 18:57

Some of you may find this`interesting. Courtesy of mcparty and apologies to open-g for my initial mis-spelling of Leavell. I'll write it 100 times as penance. Rare Stones Guitar

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-01 04:09 by ChrisM.

Re: Check Levell guitar gift from the Stones
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 30, 2009 19:21

We got to see Chuck Leavell do "Jessica" last month w/the ABB...He was superb...

Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: April 30, 2009 20:14

Chuck Leavell is the worst thing that ever happened to the Rolling Stones.

Even worse than Mick Taylor departure.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 30, 2009 20:26

chuck's the best

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2009 21:03

Haristone

you are 100% correct.he is no billy preston ,or ian mclagen ,much less the dearly departed and greatly missed IAN STEWART !!!!!!!!!

Re: Chuck Leavell guitar gift from the Stones
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 30, 2009 21:36

T&A
chuck's the best

does your tongue hurt now? tongue sticking out smiley

Nice National Resonator guitar though, what from '38? - mine looks a bit like it, but it ain't that old and not a National, huh.

Chris, please - can you edit the headline and get Leavell right? thanx.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-30 23:41 by open-g.

Date: April 30, 2009 21:55

someday it'll just be chuck and blondie left holding the bag - Chuck and his Fabulous Rolling Stones (Featuring Blondie Chaplin) - and we'll all race out to see them....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:00

Chuck is a class act and will always be a great musician.

Posted by: fishstix ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:06

Is it me or does he receive (or solicit?) quite a bit of media attention? (for a backing musician). I seem to recall an interview on 20/20, various articles in (environmental?) magazines, awards............

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:18

Very mis-guided by the news programme to compare the value of a guitar given by a famous band to one used by a famous guitarist. Nice story, but to increase the value of a guitar beyond its own value as a guitar by any significant factor it needs to have been used to record an album or played live by a guitar great (with photo evidence).

Date: April 30, 2009 22:27

mattleeuk
Very mis-guided by the news programme to compare the value of a guitar given by a famous band to one used by a famous guitarist. Nice story, but to increase the value of a guitar beyond its own value as a guitar by any significant factor it needs to have been used to record an album or played live by a guitar great (with photo evidence).
good observation !!!

Date: April 30, 2009 22:33

Keith should have come to his senses and hit him over the head with it!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:36

fishstix
Is it me or does he receive (or solicit?) quite a bit of media attention? (for a backing musician). I seem to recall an interview on 20/20, various articles in (environmental?) magazines, awards............
What's so bad about environmental magazines? I remember some MTV spot of Madonna promoting to seperate garbage probably 15 years ago. Every five year old German would have laughed her off talking about such a natural thing on tv!

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:38

Haristone

Agreed

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:58

Chuck is one of the very best things that ever happened to the Rolling Stones! I swear some folks just like to bash him for the HELL of it! He is a fabulous musician, knows how to get gems onto the set list where NO ONE else can, he is valued by the band so that says something, and he's a really nice man.

Date: April 30, 2009 23:02

mickschix
Chuck is one of the very best things that ever happened to the Rolling Stones! I swear some folks just like to bash him for the HELL of it! He is a fabulous musician, knows how to get gems onto the set list where NO ONE else can, he is valued by the band so that says something, and he's a really nice man.

this is all true. he is the scapegoat and whipping boy for frustrated fans, too, and he receives a bonus each month from the band for playing this role so brilliantly.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:08

If it wasn't for Chuck, the setlists would be much less adventurous. He's also a brilliant musician with a good track record outside the Stones too, and by all accounts a total gent. There'd be no Stones as we know them now without Chuck. For those who think he's a bit high in the mix, tough sh*t. fact is, the stones need a lot of competent back up on stage these days, and in that role, chuck is the man

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:19

yorkshirestone
If it wasn't for Chuck, the setlists would be much less adventurous. He's also a brilliant musician with a good track record outside the Stones too, and by all accounts a total gent. There'd be no Stones as we know them now without Chuck. For those who think he's a bit high in the mix, tough sh*t. fact is, the stones need a lot of competent back up on stage these days, and in that role, chuck is the man
The two of us might not agree over AC/DC... but in this case we do agree!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:22

Nice one, cheers ;-)

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:23

he is way too high in the mix but unfortunately there are two really good reasons for that most of the time these days

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:30

I think Chuck will play more "real" guitar next tour and Ronnie will do only some keyboards (way back in the mix) instead..... :-)

Mr.Ed

Re: Chuck Leavell guitar gift from the Stones
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:41

mattleeuk

Quite right - what has Eric Clapton's reso have to do with it? absolutely nothing! doh!
but Chuck's guitar is a treat as an instrument of vintage in it's self.

I'm a bit surprised what a 70 year old National fetches these days.
I would have thought it would be more expensive.
[cgi.ebay.com]

"This guitar was repaired on the lower bout from a vicious attack on the original bluesman owner's head by his former ex-wife. (See pictures) She did not go to jail and they stayed together for another year before he finally got wise and ran off. We are pretty sure all of his brain problems were present before the attack but it seemed to make him afraid to go to sleep at her house again.smiling bouncing smiley

some more Nationals info:
[www.provide.net]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 30, 2009 23:59

"Chuck Leavell is the worst thing that ever happened to the Rolling Stones.

Even worse than Mick Taylor departure."

Load of old tosh!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2009 03:38

Chuck's piano playing would be more tolerable if he only had two fingers (and a thumb) on each hand.

Re: Check Leavell guitar gift from the Stones
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 1, 2009 04:24

ChrisM you should be punished for that unctuous Chuck Leavell "advert"...He's right up there in the Bobby Keyes department for freeloading and "Gee I sure like this.." riff.

Chuck is a capable pianist who can sort out the gang of musicians who back up the Stones. He is not one of the greatest pianists the Stones have worked with. For all of you who love and appreciate Chuck, this is only my (and a whole bunch of other people's) opinion.

His real talent is the tax breaks he gets for his forested land.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: May 1, 2009 04:29

mattleeuk

I thought the same thing. It's a lovely guitar, but worth around $3500., not $60k!!

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: May 1, 2009 04:32

stonesrule
ChrisM you should be punished for that unctuous Chuck Leavell "advert"...He's right up there in the Bobby Keyes department for freeloading and "Gee I sure like this.." riff.

YOU should be punished for comparing Bobby Keys to Chuck Leavell! Yeah, BK is a freeloader. The most accomplished RnR sax player of all time. Head out of the arse time mate!

Date: May 1, 2009 15:07

bobby keys has siganture sax solo's on live with me , brown sugar, cant you hear me knocking etc. what signature solo or identifying mark does chuck leavell have ? none .he is so integral that his keyboards are way down in the mix as in background noise.the only time you hear him live is when the stones do honky tonk,and after keith's guitar solo and the next verse of the song do you hear chuch do some honky tonk piano solo .that's it !

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: May 1, 2009 15:45

Bring back Matt Clifford!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 1, 2009 16:18

It's not a 1939 model O, but somewhere between 1934 when they went to the 14-fret neck, & 1936 when they went to a solid as opposed to a slotted head which this is.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home