Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones used to ward off crickets
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 29, 2009 21:14

weird but true:

Discover magazine reports that residents of Tuscarora, Nevada are using the music of LED ZEPPELIN and THE ROLLING STONES to ward off the mormon crickets' semi-annual invasion.

Mormon crickets are a real problem in northern Nevada and other parts of the Great Basin: They march in columns up to two miles long and one mile wide from about May through August. They hatch in April and invade all aspects of life before they finally lay eggs and die. They destroy crops, invade people's homes (one resident said, "You'll wake up and there'll be one sitting on your forehead, looking at you"), and clog roadways — even requiring snowplows to clear out their piled-up carcasses.

People do what they can to steer the pests away, trying poison bait and other tricks. But in 2006, after reading about a woman in the 1930s who had driven the insects off with a Chinese gong, a Tuscarora resident was inspired to try out some modern music. Since she knew the crickets rested at night, she got a group together to blast music for several days from early morning 'til evening. They tuned their stereos to a hard rock station, and local reports that year said that the music stopped many of the bugs in their tracks. Maybe Tuscarora should petition the Stones for a reunion concert in their town. Outdoors.

Read the entire report from Discover magazine:

[blogs.discovermagazine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-29 21:24 by lettingitbleed.

Re: The Stones used to ward off crickets
Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: April 29, 2009 21:21

Some of their recent years work - not all, there are obviously songs I like - wards me off too, and I'm a lazy annoying son of a bitch weighing 85 kg!!

This story reminds me Mars Attacks......................................

Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 1, 2009 15:51

Do these crickets stay away from caffiene?
Do they wear magic underwear?
Are they the latter day crickets?
Do they annoy people who really don't want to hear what they have to say?
Are they heading for Salt Lake City, Utah?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 1, 2009 19:00

I USE THE STONES to ward off my wife.....ha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home