Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith interview on XFM radio tomorrow (8th May) 10p.m.BST
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 9, 2010 12:50

Thanks, loLA. But I can't download this! The links just keep going round in a loop. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 9, 2010 14:48

Thank you, loLA for uploading this. thumbs up

Beast
Thanks, loLA. But I can't download this! The links just keep going round in a loop. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I just downloaded it - and it worked fine.
maybe just close all your browser windows, clear cookies & history - then try again.

if that doesn't cut the mustard - just say so and we'll see... smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2010 15:54

Great interview, and thanks so much for uploading it. Keith does indeed sound very lucid, and very Happy. Cool stuff!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 9, 2010 16:05

....he was rambling...and twice gave the same answer to different questions.....it sounded at times like he was medicated....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 9, 2010 16:05

Can't believe the interviewer didn't ask him ANYTHING about his involvement or lack of involvement in the preparation of Exile Deluxe.

Date: May 9, 2010 16:17

Yeah, well I never get my hopes up that the interviewee will be keyed in on the most important and relevant questions. YOu are right tatters he should have asked more about the remastering. But at least Keith sounded good!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 9, 2010 17:17

... LoLA's link worked for me, but the resulting download seems to start in mid-interview,
from a question about whether Keith would consider using a mobile studio again.
did anyone else have that problem??

Posted by: LolA ()
Date: May 9, 2010 17:56

yes that's all i've got, my browser crashed when i started recording so there's HAPPY missing plus about 30 seconds of the interview...can't remember what exactly the question was though....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 9, 2010 18:19

Thank you so much ,loLA for the download .I missed the interview yesterday evening on XFM and was very relieved to find your link this morning .

Many thanks also to you ,swiss, for the translation .
Although the interview sounded very clear to me -I was waiting for a "husky characteristic " Keith's voice :-))
there are sentences that I would have missed without you ,as :"Then soon after the same writers reevaluated. Now loads of writers say it's your best album"
(make a promise to me :don't laugh :-)))
I heard :" They soon after the same rices reevaluated .Now loads of rices say ...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 9, 2010 18:28

IMO ,the very first question :
-would you consider may be ,recording an album using a mobile studio in the future called out me/ questioned me

Could Keith allude to the "ABB" rehearsals in the studio of Fourchette ? Does that mean they could do the same for a new album ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 9, 2010 19:02

Funny Keith mentioning Andres Segovia. Good taste. I posted him as an example of a guitar player
that still can play when you are about 80.
Here is one more:

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 9, 2010 21:23

Keith: Yes, I've heard this (laughter). You know how many times I've heard this? Look--lead vocalists' voices are never loud enough (laughter). And that's why you should never let them mix albums. Yeah.

- swiss[/quote]

But Mick did mix the album, didnĀ“t he? So he is responsible for the vocal mix.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 10, 2010 00:59

Rip This
....he was rambling...and twice gave the same answer to different questions.....it sounded at times like he was medicated....

Rip This, when does he give the same answer twice? when does he sound medicated?

Look on the previous page. I've now transcribed every word of the interview. The only time Keith repeats a theme is when he's asked --two separate times-- about writing/recording Exile, and how the process may have been similar to A Bigger Bang.

If you listen--Keith is trying to get across to whomever will listen--not because he's rambling and unaware, but 180o to the contrary--he's deliberately trying to impart that he believes Stones' albums written separately and recorded under sterile studio conditions result in an inferior end-product.

He acknowledges there was a time when that was practically necessary, but he mellowly and persistently indicates throughout the interview, in different ways, that although Some may not like surprises and may prefer a controlled environment, Keith "gets the best out of" MicK (and probably Charlie) when they are out of their comfort zones. And when they're physically creating together in the same room.

And he's right.

As far as medicated. While it's possibly he's a little slurry on booze, it's equally probable he accommodated the interviewer by being up earlier than he's accustomed to, in order to do this interview, and he's sounding a little sleepy. But if you really listen: he's 100% lucid. He's (or his persona) just such a cool easy-going cat that his delivery has got to be mellow, and very subtle (to the point of being abstruse - to some listeners).

That's the thing, I think, about being Keith Richards' level of cool and smart. If you don't stridently put it in people's face how smart you are (and Keith seems to be equal parts: brilliant, cool, modest, and private/introverted) many people will see only the cool. And there's a good chance many people will miss the rest. And just see Keith as a clown, jester, rambler, or has-been.

But he's sharp as he's ever been: which is tack-sharp. And in this interview he has a clear, distinct perspective and point of view he means to get across. Maybe to Mick. Maybe to us (like what he says about Gram at Nellecote, which I'm not sure I believe is literally, linearly, the case -- i.e., essentially blaming Mick for Gram's not being on the album, when we know other shit was going down with Keith, Anita, Gram, um, heroin, at that point; to be direct to the point of harshness: it wasn't Mick who sent Gram away and it wasn't Mick who ignored Gram after Nellecote after having been thick as thieves with him)

Like his comment about the tape recorder by his bed. That's amazing. He's saying it was a habit all these years, because he didn't trust himself that if inspiration occurred to him that it wouldn't vanish by the next morning--so he had to have a tape recorder there to capture it. Now he trusts himself, his creative process, his memory. So he keeps a guitar in case he awakes with inspiration that needs to be heard/fleshed out. But he has now confidence that he'll remember it the next day. That's huge. That's wisdom and confidence that only comes from age.

And maybe some people might say I'm reading into this -- and ha ha ha -- that old sot can't remember anything since the coconuts. But I listened to that interview very very closely in transcribing it. And when you do that you pick up a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he (his people) wrote the questions and hand-selected the interviewer, as a matter of fact. (So much for pure "roll" but that's ok)

btw...I added back into the transcription many "y'knows."

I did that because when you take out Keith's "y'knows" it cuts straight to the chase of what he's saying--which conveys the pure jist--but not the style, which is essential to Keith. He doesn't want to sound crystal clear and lucid like some nerd, or some guy beseeching Mick to get in the same room and trust himself and his creative process to create something magnificent together. He's just not that direct. So, I padded his words---as he does---with softening "y'knows."

I love this interview. I hope one day to meet Keith and interview him. But first to check out his book and see what he was willing and able to convey!

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-10 01:12 by swiss.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2010 01:21

Amsterdamned
Funny Keith mentioning Andres Segovia. Good taste. I posted him as an example of a guitar player
Here is one more:

Wait...I think I heard a Mick Taylor overdub on this.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 10, 2010 01:31

71Tele
Amsterdamned
Here is one more

OMG!! Tele, d'you think maybe it was Andres Segovia on the original PMS?!?! Mystery solved!! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-10 01:31 by swiss.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2010 02:03

swiss
71Tele
Amsterdamned
Here is one more

OMG!! Tele, d'you think maybe it was Andres Segovia on the original PMS?!?! Mystery solved!! winking smiley

You nailed it Swiss.

Date: May 10, 2010 03:17

thanks for postin', hostin' and transcribin' this interview. very good. keith sounds very lucid and i didn't notice much slurring at all (unlike some interviews from the recent past few years). it's interesting that the situation which spawned EOMS is also at least an indirect reason for the stones decline afterwords (at least compared to the big 4 and Aftermath). mick and keith didn't just live around the corner from each other anymore. they couldn't just ring each other up and work out some songs. when they became exiles an important dynamic of the Stones sound and essence was no more, and i guess in that respect exile is sort of like the last big party before graduation. things would never be the same again.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2010 12:06

71Tele
swiss
71Tele
Amsterdamned
Here is one more

You nailed it Swiss.

I always seem to forget this is a stones board. cool smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 10, 2010 13:06

Amsterdamned, I love Segovia, a wonderful musician, great that you posted this video!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-10 17:24 by windmelody.

Date: May 10, 2010 15:03

Amsterdamned
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
Amsterdamned
Here is one more

Jeez, than ignore the post and move on~ Don't troll!
You nailed it Swiss.

I always seem to forget this is a stones board. cool smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 10, 2010 16:23

kissinc***incannes
thanks for postin', hostin' and transcribin' this interview. very good. keith sounds very lucid and i didn't notice much slurring at all (unlike some interviews from the recent past few years). it's interesting that the situation which spawned EOMS is also at least an indirect reason for the stones decline afterwords (at least compared to the big 4 and Aftermath). mick and keith didn't just live around the corner from each other anymore. they couldn't just ring each other up and work out some songs. when they became exiles an important dynamic of the Stones sound and essence was no more, and i guess in that respect exile is sort of like the last big party before graduation. things would never be the same again.

Yeah. I think the times of big re-union of Mick and Keith - for example STEEL WHEELS or A BIGGER BANG sessions - where they are said to go just by themselves to some Caribbean island or Mick's French castle to "write" together seem to be more like nostalgic moments for bringing back the memories of the old writing sessions of good ole days. Looking at the actual results of those sesssions, the actual spark to make something new and interesting is long gone.

- Doxa

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 10, 2010 21:57

the reviewer was being polite, what he meant was "is there a way you can recapture the stones sound that you lost by putting out this sterile digital crap,you know find the old mobile unit,anything...?"

what keith really said: "well im absolutely clueless,ill throw you a bit of lip service but ill do nothing about our weak sound on record because ive been busy writing a book about my favorite subject-me"

i see he's also still telling everyone exile was recorded in his basement .more like a third of it tops.and staying with his theme"the stones do their best work outside a studio"sure keith,that stuff from olympic studios,muscle shoals,pathe marconi etc didnt work at all,right...?

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: May 10, 2010 23:13

LolA
Hi people, you can find a recording of the interview here:
[www.megaupload.com]

Thanks LolA. Is that link still working?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1339
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home