Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No expectations 1973
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 6, 2005 01:17

What about the guitar work from Mick Taylor on No Expectations on the 18-01-1973 show? It's sooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!! I really like this concert. Never heard them play better on a first-nighter. (and why the hell did nobody recorded Midnight Rambler?)

Re: No expectations 1973
Posted by: Kingen ()
Date: January 6, 2005 01:30

It was my first bootleg and even though the sound is only audience I have yet to hear a better show. I mean No Expectations is he best, but so is R66 and Its all over now and Bitch. Wow.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 6, 2005 01:51

Yeah...WOW! Great show!

Date: January 6, 2005 06:46

Could somebody PLEASE point out to me why they think this show is a good one? I have always felt it is total shyte. I'm not averse to changing my mind, I just wanna hear from some well-informed sources why THEY have nothing but praise for this show...

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2005 17:03

Kingen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was my first bootleg and even though the sound
> is only audience I have yet to hear a better show.
> I mean No Expectations is he best, but so is R66
> and Its all over now and Bitch. Wow.

?? It's one of the worst shows from the 1972 tour and Winter Tour 1973 combined. They sound very unrehearsed, play sloppy and with a lack of energy. It's a nice show as it has some rarely played songs, but it sure isn't a good show in my opinion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 6, 2005 17:36

Keith was probably dopped-up, played the wrong scale an @#$%& the whole thing.

Posted by: Hang Fire ()
Date: January 6, 2005 17:48

It's one show 32 years ago. Does anybody really care what and how they played.

'In the sweet old country...'

Date: January 6, 2005 18:09

Hang Fire Wrote:
> > It's one show 32 years ago. Does anybody really
> care what and how they played.

Yes, I do, as until this day there hasn't been any better live band than the Stones in 1972.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2005 18:17

Mathijs Wrote:
> Hang Fire Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > It's one show 32 years ago. Does anybody
> really
> > care what and how they played.
>
> Yes, I do, as until this day there hasn't been any
> better live band than the Stones in 1972.
>
> Mathijs
>
>
Wow, the first miracle of 2005...........Mathijs, we AGREE!

Date: January 6, 2005 18:27

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> >
> Wow, the first miracle of 2005...........Mathijs,
> we AGREE!
>

I don't agree, it's the second miracle. I agreed with you already that SMU was not recorded in 1975!

Mathijs

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 6, 2005 18:29

Hang Fire Wrote:
> > It's one show 32 years ago. Does anybody really
> care what and how they played.

Yes.

Posted by: Kingen ()
Date: January 6, 2005 19:33

All Stones shows from 72 gives me a headache....

Posted by: Hang Fire ()
Date: January 6, 2005 23:59

Mathijs Wrote:
>
> Yes, I do, as until this day there hasn't been any
> better live band than the Stones in 1972.
>
> Mathijs
>
>

Agree Mathijs,
But it does not make any sense to me to speculate about one show, wich was great or bad. I was not there. Where you? Listen to a bootleg is something completely different.

'In the sweet old country...'

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 11, 2005 09:34

Mick Taylor "sounds" out of it during this show IMO...

Lots of mistakes, even Jagger f*cks up the intro to Sweet Virginia....has this happened before???

Completely unrehearsed, but still some cool songs played. No Expectations is probably the best performed song during this concert....

Date: January 11, 2005 10:46

Hang Fire Wrote:
> Agree Mathijs,
> But it does not make any sense to me to speculate
> about one show, wich was great or bad. I was not
> there. Where you? Listen to a bootleg is something
> completely different.
>

Well, I think it is possible to speculate about a show if you only have an audience tape available. Of course, it is always possible that a bad show judging on the audience tape turns out an excellent show on a proffesional soundboard recording, but I have never experienced this. I did experience the opposite several times though: the famous Brussels 1973 gig as we know from all the pro-recordings turns out an equally great show on the average aud tape, and the same goes for the 9/9/73 Wembley show. Fort Worth 1972 are -IMHO- not the best shows from 1972, and this shines through on both the aud and SB tapes. Mobile, Akron and Charlotte are among my very favourite shows ever, even when the aud tapes are average at best, and this is acknowledged by the people who were there (Greenfield for example).

with soundboards it can be the opposite by the way: a very dry soundboard (thus with no athmosphere) is never a joy to listen to. There's some 1976 soundboards that aren't really a lot of fun, and they give you the idea that the whole tour was bad. But if you listen to the audience tapes of these smae show, it turns out that the shows weren't that bad after all.

On the Benefit tape: you can hear the Stones are a bit rough: Charlie is not steady, Taylor is making mistakes, the band sounds a bit unrehearsed. If I remember well Jagger even mentiones this somewhere during the gig. This show is -for 1972 and 1973 standards- just not that good. I would be surprised if the SB tape suddenly features a hot show.

Mathijs

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 11, 2005 22:01

After the overdubs, the show will be hot smiling smiley

Mathijs, I'd appreciate it if you could recommend the particular Mobile and Akron releases that you think are best.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 11, 2005 22:57

Wow - I was at that show & have it on a CD - will have to go listen to No expectations again. Agree that the Stones started of a little rusty, but
Taylor's solo on: You Can't always get what you want is 1st rate!!
he must have found his groove by then and Dead Flowers is good too. I walked up
the day of the concert at the LA Forum, and bought (2) $100 (face value) tickets
for $25 each - they had to drop the price as those tickets on the last day as those were not "moving" in LA... 18th row dead center!!!!!!

MLC

Date: January 11, 2005 23:04

MCDDTLC: you were there!!! Can you tell me if they played Midnight Rambler (the encore) way after Street Fighting Man, because the person who taped it, did not record it. So maybe he had allready turned off his tape. Or worse let the show!!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 12, 2005 00:16

P. Shrimp - have to think about that one - something makes me think they did,
do Midnight Rambler as it was a staple in their shows and Jagger used to do his
"antics" with his belt in the middle of that number and I seem to remember that.
(were talkin 30 years ago...)

You can see the beginning of this show as extra credit on the DVD boot of:
@#$%& Blues - Jagger's hair was cut short as he was planning to go down-under (Austrialia) to swim/snorkel when the Earthquake struck in So. America,
and the Stones quickly announced the benefit show. He came out wearing a diamond tiara and a black mask (the little fairy) but lost it after the 2nd number..
that was his story at the time back in 1973 - the News stations were given this 15 second clip of "Brown Sugar" back then as it was big news at the time - MLC

Date: January 12, 2005 14:40

There is not a grain of doubt that Midnight Rambler was played: it was al over the press that MR was the closer AND there is a huge amount of pictures from the show (verified) with Jagger whipping a belt on stage, harmonica in his hand, and Keith behind him on playing a 1961 Gibson SG Custom with a capo on the 8th fret.

Mathijs

Date: January 12, 2005 14:47

On Washinton, Mobile, Akron, Norfolk etc.: the Stones hit the mid-south in the middle of the 1972 tour after a five day break. If you listen to the tapes now, these shows are the best of the best: the Stones are all oiled-up having played more than 30 shows, they are hotter than ever. The energy level of these shows is unsurpassed by anything lese I have heard. The early shows of the tour can be quite sloppy, the last shows of the tour can be a bit coked-up with a hoarse Jagger, but thse shows on 3/4th of the tour are the absolute best shows by any band of the last 40 years. The tapes are mediocre at best (although Charlotte is quite good), but that really doesn't matter. It is a true joy to listen to these boots.

Mathijs

Date: January 12, 2005 14:52

Bring it back alive is the very best Stones show ever recorded (VGP-054) Charlotte, North Carolina.

Date: January 12, 2005 14:52

yep - agreed.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:05

Potted Shrimp wrote:

Charlotte, North Carolina
-------------------------

I agree too about the best gig the Stones did ever. Any circulating copy of this show is complete, I mean, with Brown Sugar and the first verses of Midnight Rambler???

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: January 12, 2005 15:32

VGP also put out "Dripping Honey" which might be slightly better quality....

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 12, 2005 17:20

Mmmmmmm, I don't have the Charlotte show, which you most respected guys think the best Stones show ever recorded. Anyone who can tell for sure which of these VGP releases is the best, or are they the smae quality?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 12, 2005 17:37

Greg wrote:
Mmmmmmm, I don't have the Charlotte show, which you most respected guys think the best Stones show ever recorded. Anyone who can tell for sure which of these VGP releases is the best, or are they the smae quality?
-------------------------------------------------

Many thanks, my beloved friend, about the most respected guys...
Drippin' Honey, as our beloved-most respected friend Esky told, is said to be a slightly improvement over Bring It Back Alive.

(Mmmmmmm, I notice I can't tell for sure as I haven't listened to Bring It Back Alive, so I return my "most respected" treatment)

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 12, 2005 17:55

Gracias, muy respectado amigo Bruno, I thought dear Esky's frase 'might be slightly better quality' was of an inquiring nature instead of an affirming.
Until we hear from him or someone else in the know I guess your respectfulness is still pending... ;-)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 13, 2005 14:02

Just had a quick listen to both "Bring It back.." & "Drippin' Honey", both have different sounds.

"Bring..." sounds evenly mixed, very good.

"Honey" sounds like VGP have boosted the treble up a bit and there's no drops in volume that can be heard during a few small parts of "Bring..".

Hard to say which one is best as it depends on your tastes. For a trebly "up front" aud rec. go for "Drippin", for an even mix (duller mix) then "Bring.." might be your choice.

I prefer "Drippin" as it could be from a better gen. source tape as it is a more "recent" release from VGP. I'm sure there's other guys out there who have a more fussier ear than me who could tell you which title is better.

Anyone??

Esky

Date: January 13, 2005 14:06

Esky Wrote:
> Just had a quick listen to both "Bring It back.."
> & "Drippin' Honey", both have different
> sounds.
>
> "Bring..." sounds evenly mixed, very good.
>
> "Honey" sounds like VGP have boosted the treble up
> a bit and there's no drops in volume that can be
> heard during a few small parts of "Bring..".
>
> Hard to say which one is best as it depends on
> your tastes. For a trebly "up front" aud rec. go
> for "Drippin", for an even mix (duller mix) then
> "Bring.." might be your choice.
>
> I prefer "Drippin" as it could be from a better
> gen. source tape as it is a more "recent" release
> from VGP. I'm sure there's other guys out there
> who have a more fussier ear than me who could tell
> you which title is better.
>
> Anyone??
>
> Esky

Well Esky, I also had a listen to last night, but could not really hear a big difference. I think you could be right with your compent on 'the duller mix'in Bringig it back alive. I still prefer it above Drippin', pure on feeling!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home