Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Metallica in their own words- stones content
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 4, 2009 23:23

towards the end of this metallica documentary on the fuse channel lars and james
start to talk about longevity and how people immediately think of the rolling stones, they both then said no disrespect to the rolling stones but they dont play the type of head banging high energy music that metallica does so it is unfair to compare us to them if we dont have the same longevity, it is going to be very hard to last twenty more years doing this lars said, so do you guys think they make a fair point or are they making excuses?

Re: Metallica in their own words- stones content
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 5, 2009 00:21

I saw the Mets twice this week in Paris. They are really back. I mean full of energy very intense shows, roots and powerful.
I was wondering how Lars could hit so strong during 2 hours. James was very in the mood and in top form. What a pleasure when I remember the skom period.
I cannot imagine the Mets doing the same shows at 65...

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 5, 2009 02:35

Well as a fan of both bands I really hope that Metallica will manage to last another ten years at least.I saw them in concert last summer prior to the release of Death Magnetic and they were incredibly powerful and tight.They seem to be in great shape on the current tour,

It's true that their kind of music requires more speed and stamina but hopefully they'll try to reinvent themselves by releasing some slower and less demanding material in terms of playing but equally as interesting and exciting in terms of artistic value.Load was a great album and it's based on bluesy grooves, the kind of grooves they would be able to pull of atf the age of 60.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 5, 2009 05:44

I know they are great at what they do but its not my cup of tea so honestly it makes no difference how long they last.(to me)

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 5, 2009 06:23

Actually , for me they are in their weakest tour to date.
Both Stones and Metallica are amazing bands , but the Stones are the best ones forever.

PD: Load was the worst shit ever done to metal music , that's my words. Ask any metallica fan.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 5, 2009 06:30

melillo
towards the end of this metallica documentary on the fuse channel lars and james
start to talk about longevity and how people immediately think of the rolling stones, they both then said no disrespect to the rolling stones but they dont play the type of head banging high energy music that metallica does so it is unfair to compare us to them if we dont have the same longevity, it is going to be very hard to last twenty more years doing this lars said, so do you guys think they make a fair point or are they making excuses?

I think it's a very fair point. As much as a lot of people around here hate Metallica,you have to give credit to lars for saying this. I don't think you will see any bands emerging today still be relavant in 40 years like the Stones.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 5, 2009 08:19

i know they are from the bay, but i dont really care about them. I literally watched them for about 2 minutes from behind the stage at Pac Bell (SF Giants) Stadium whilst waiting to go up to the "on stage" seats before the first show in 05 and they mattered not to me one wit.

Probably unfair.

Talk as they will about this being an unfair comparison based on high energy alone, well, the Stones have kept going and stayed relevant (at least to some people) for reasons having to do with a lot of things other than just energy. I hope we can all agree on that.

p

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2009 08:21

I love the Some Kind Of Monster documentary. It's really awesome. i can't stand most of their music though. There's some great tunes still. Hero of The Day and Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 5, 2009 11:59

"Actually , for me they are in their weakest tour to date"

Same here. I saw them 3 times in their prime and in 2009 (like ACDC) they only impress those who see them for the 1st time imo.
Plus (like ACDC) their new new album is quite UNimpressive.

It took TWENTY years for the Stones to start sucking with an album (1983 Undercover). With Metallica it took what... 5 years (1989 And Justice...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-05 12:02 by dcba.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 5, 2009 12:33

I love Metallica past and present, but honestly I can't see them performing as a band in their 60´s.
With that in mind I realize that's also what most people probably thought about the Rolling Stones many years ago
and of course the Stones themselves never expected to be rockin' and rollin' in the 21th century.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 5, 2009 15:28

I gave away my Metallica ticket after Headfield´s
remarks about Guantanamo, where they used Metallica´s
music to torture people.

I expected a statement against any kind of torture from a guy
who always sings about aggression, nightmares and pressure
from others on you. All he did was grinning and saying that
"it´s not good and not bad". What an @#$%&.

Date: April 5, 2009 15:38

"I gave away my Metallica ticket after Headfield´s
remarks about Guantanamo, where they used Metallica´s
music to torture people."

Very noble move imo thumbs up Yeah you also have to take into account the fact that James Hetfield is a hardcore right-wing guy, who probably voted for W. BOTH times thumbs down

Compare his reaction to NIN's mainman Trent Reznor (who was appaled and disgusted that his music had been used to torture people) and you'll see where talent and intelligence lie.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 5, 2009 16:03

JumpingKentFlash
There's some great tunes still. Hero of The Day and Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman.

I bet you also like The Unforgiven and One. Just to mention a few songs for starters.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 5, 2009 18:26

the only band i can see matching the stones longevity is maybe u2

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 5, 2009 18:54

What Lars said is true. It's a totally different thing. Way more abusive physically than the Stones.

Their new album is good - real good. So is AC/DC's. I don't get how some think the new AC/DC is weak. Both the Metalli and DC albums are better than the Stones last album. Blah blah blah...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 5, 2009 19:03

St Anger and Death Magnetic is among my greatest Rock-albums....very few albums has so many powerful and accurate varied songs...especially Death Magnetic...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 5, 2009 20:15

dcba
Very noble move imo thumbs up Yeah you also have to take into account the fact that James Hetfield is a hardcore right-wing guy, who probably voted for W. BOTH times thumbs down
Compare his reaction to NIN's mainman Trent Reznor (who was appaled and disgusted that his music had been used to torture people) and you'll see where talent and intelligence lie.

Did that! Thanks for the hint!

NIN's Trent Reznor Considers Legal Fight Over Guantanamo Song Use
Artist: Nine Inch Nails

MUSIC NEWS - Nine Inch Nails man, Trent Reznor recently spoke out against the use of the band's music for the purpose of torture at Guantanamo Bay. As many know, the US military continues to broadcast excruciatingly loud music in order to 'break' prisoners, but Reznor is firmly opposed to the practice. On his blog, he says: "It's difficult for me to imagine anything more profoundly insulting, demeaning and enraging than discovering music you've put your heart and soul into creating has been used for purposes of torture. "If there are any legal options that can be realistically taken they will be aggressively pursued, with any potential monetary gains donated to human rights charities."

HETFIELD On Use Of METALLICA's Music To Torture Guantanamo Bay Prisoners: 'Part Of Me Is Proud' - Sep. 7, 2008

The German-language television network 3SAT recently conducted an interview with METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield about the band's new album, "Death Magnetic", the "Some Kind of Monster" movie and the use of METALLICA's music to torture Guantanamo Bay, Cuba prisoners. "Part of me is proud is because they chose METALLICA," Hetfield said about the reports that the band's song "Enter Sandman" was used during the interrogation of Mohammed al-Qahtani — known as the 20th hijacker on Sept. 11 — and that listening to the track brought al-Qahtani to tears "because he thought he was hearing the sound of Satan." James added, "It's strong; it's music that's powerful. It represents something that they don't like — maybe freedom, aggression… I don't know… freedom of speech. And then part of me is kind of bummed about it that people worry about us being attached to some political statement because of that. We've got nothing to do with this and we're trying to be as apolitical as possible, 'cause I think politics and music, at least for us, don't mix. It separates people, [and] we wanna bring people together. So, so be it. I can't say 'Stop.' I can't say 'Do it.' It is just a thing — it's not good or bad."

Date: April 5, 2009 23:25

RE acdc Imho they treaded into radio-friendly AOR rock with their latest record ("Anything Goes" WTF is this?)
Metallica's latest is a mix of Slipknot atonality and 1984's (!)"Ride The Lightning" harmonizing. Indigest mix.
"St.Anger" was almst better, imho.

Date: April 5, 2009 23:27

A great metal band that hasn't disappointed (yet?) in 17 years of career is Tool.
They're intelligent, and they don't like W. Their singer is a prima donna though. I guess nobody's perfect ;-)

They'll tour this summer, don't miss them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-05 23:29 by dcba.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 6, 2009 00:02

We've got nothing to do with this and we're trying to be as apolitical as possible, 'cause I think politics and music, at least for us, don't mix. It separates people, [and] we wanna bring people together. So, so be it. I can't say 'Stop.' I can't say 'Do it.' It is just a thing — it's not good or bad."

How naive. Everything is political, when it comes right down to it. If u r not fighting the system, u allow it to go on and thus are quietly/tacitly supporting it, in this case, the torture. Idiot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home