Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlies jazz band
Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 16, 2009 02:14

Just wondering if anyone heard any rumours about CW getting his own jazz thing back together again, during the sabatical. It's what he usually does - seeing as he can't stand being at home (under the wifes feet).

Does anyone here actually like Charlies jazz?

Re: Charlies jazz band
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 16, 2009 02:17

We have both kinds of music, Country and Western !

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 16, 2009 02:26

I lurv CW's Tentet's deconstruction of Satisfaction - Faction

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2009 02:29

i like charlie's various jazz bands fine...nothing spectacular relative to the jazz greats, mind you, but he always assembles some of the best available british jazz talent

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 16, 2009 06:40

yes, darn it, I am hoping he will get them together again, but god knows if they will get to the US, much less anywhere near Denver, which is the easiest logical locale for me to get to, but i think he normally just gets to the east coast, and once in a while, the west coast.

Just picked up a near-mint promo copy of From One Charlie on eBay today for 7.99, hoping it'll arrive soon.

But in a recent Charlie interview someone posted here, he was quoted as saying while he puts together the best British jazz talent and the Americans love the shows, they never get invited back (which I think is how he put it). I don't get that.

p

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2009 11:08

It's good to see Charlie enjoying his Jazz band,but honestly I think if he wasn't a
Rolling Stone, the other players might try another one on drums.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: March 16, 2009 12:54

I saw the Charlie Watts Orchestra in 1984 in the UK (I was 13 years old and a recent Stones convert) at an outdoor jazz festival. The orchestra was essentially a big band and had 3 drummers including Charlie, pretty cool as I do like jazz. After the gig I popped round to the backstage area of the marquee where people were milling about and packing things up, and I just went up to Charlie and asked for his autograph. He seemed a little offhand and nonchalant but was happy to sign.

Date: March 16, 2009 13:18

WeLoveYou
I saw the Charlie Watts Orchestra in 1984 in the UK (I was 13 years old and a recent Stones convert) at an outdoor jazz festival. The orchestra was essentially a big band and had 3 drummers including Charlie, pretty cool as I do like jazz. After the gig I popped round to the backstage area of the marquee where people were milling about and packing things up, and I just went up to Charlie and asked for his autograph. He seemed a little offhand and nonchalant but was happy to sign.

He might have been off his head - those were his dark heroin years.
I have a vid of this vast orchestra of his - could never see the point in having 3 drummers - wildly extravagant. Only he could afford a huge band like that.

Date: March 16, 2009 13:27

Anyone seen this before?????

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 23, 2009 19:58

Yes I rather like Charlie's jazz work, but I suspect the real afficinados don't rate him that highly.
But who cares.
I wonder if he will take up this side line again. Given the current lay-off I am suprised he hasn't done a bit of work, or session work even.
Perhaps after his bout with cancer, the work involved in assembling a band etc would be too much for him.
But a season at a London Jazz club - or even Paris?
I'm sure he'd fill any club, no problem.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 23, 2009 20:57

Charlie Watts Jazz stuff is pretty darn good. He could easily fill up any of the Jazz Clubs in London, New York, Paris or Chicago with ease.

CBII

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2009 20:59

on name recognition, he could, cb - not sure he could on general merits...we'll never know, natch

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 23, 2009 23:19

Charlie is not an extravagant jazz-drummer, technically ala Buddy Rich for example, but he has a nice groove and feel. Especially when he uses brushes. He's also got a very nice ride-swing which I guess many technically better jazz-drummers will acknowledge.
His jazz-records are good records, but I don't think I would have bought them if I wasn't a Stones-fan. The Stones have opened my eyes to many different music-genres.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home