Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Concert focusing on an entire Album.
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 12, 2009 23:46

I know the concept isn't new, Lou Reed did it with Berlin, I read that Springteen is thinking about it for his next tour and The Rolling Stones did a mini version of that in the middle of some shows a couple of years ago. I think for the next tour the Stones should try to do those; Some Girls, Sticky Fingers or the first Lp of Exile from beginning to end. But I suppose Mick and Keith don't give a damn about ideas like that.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Concert focusing on an entire Album.
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 12, 2009 23:51

the stones never really did do any mini-album segments in any kinda serious way. more times than not they simply grouped 3-4 songs from a single album that were already in the nightly setlist (or often-played alternates) and called it a mini-set. weak.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 12, 2009 23:52

I remember it being a big deal that the first 8 songs of the Achtung Baby tour was from the new album. Most of the songs became hits but at the time they were relatively new.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 12, 2009 23:57

Re: Playing entire album (in order) from start to finish....

Elton John did this with Captain Fantastic and Goodbye YellowBrick Road albums.

Pink FLoyd did it...right?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 12, 2009 23:59

Phil Lesh & Friends did a bunch of GD albums straigth thru - 2 a night at the Warfield-closing run last year. Very, very cool.

Zappa did this a few times, i believe, as well, no?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:02

When I saw Blind Faith in 1969, they performed all 6 songs from their album. Also, I think when I saw Jethro Tull, a favorite around here, after the release of Passion Play, they performed it in its entirety...I think.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:07

Many bands do it. Pearl Jam does it . . . just wish the stones would do something like that . . .

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:08

Apparently Motley Crue is doing it this summer, Dr. Feelgood 20th anniversary.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:23

Metallica and the Who did play an entire album too
Iron Maiden also did it recently

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:29

Van Morrison did it with Astral Weeks recently.

And The Stones ?
Wouldn´t mind to hear again Ya Ya´s !

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:30

A few times I saw Pink Floyd in 77 and then the incarnation without Waters, they would play their new album first, Then greatest hits during the second set.

It cracked me up when I saw Pink Floyd in London at the Dockland Arena in 1989. People sat in their chairs and looked bored during the first set (I think it was the Division Bell, but not sure). Then, people went crazy during the second set. In the San Francisco Bay Area, where I have seen Floyd many times, people seemed to enjoy it all.Though, the London group seemed to like the second set more than S.F..

I was feeling great, so in London I think I was the only one dancing and cheering between songs during the first set- I am glad I was not self conscious at the time. All the English were very pleasant while I went crazy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:43

It strikes me that, in 1978, Rolling Stones, David Bowie and Eric Clapton all played the new material during the 1st half of the show...NEARLY the entire NEW album - before doing the older ones. Well, Rolling Stones warmed up with 4 oldies before getting into Some Girls. Maybe they felt like proving to the punks that they were still a creative force.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:44

Last year Queensrÿche performed their 2 'Mindcrime' albums!

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:46

I've seen the Who perform Quadrophenia, then finish the show with 4 or 5 greats from other albums. Seemed like a great show, but it was before iI quit drinking.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:50

Bowie did it in Berlin some years ago (Reality-Tour?) and played the complete LOW-Album as a middle-part of the concert. The whole concert was nearly 3 hours. Unbelievable, never forget it. He was soooo good.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:54

T&A
the stones never really did do any mini-album segments in any kinda serious way. more times than not they simply grouped 3-4 songs from a single album that were already in the nightly setlist (or often-played alternates) and called it a mini-set. weak.

Right Erik,and T&A at Fort Worth 78 they did 7/10 Some Girls tracks
in a row,that more than "a mini-albums segment".
Maybe in another 78 show when Lies was included it could have been even more.

Date: March 13, 2009 00:57

shortfatfanny
Maybe in another 78 show when Lies was included it could have been even more.

Yes...Lies was played at 20 of the 25 shows in 1978....not too bad with 8 SG songs after oneanother

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: March 13, 2009 01:24

Lucinda Williams did 4 of her albums on consecutive nights..in LA and then NY and made them available for purchase via her website

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: March 13, 2009 01:28

Didn't they play 6-7 songs off of Tattoo You during the '81 tour?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 13, 2009 01:32

Yeah Springsteen did a benefit show at the Count Basie theatre in NJ last year. He played all of Born To Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town......I remember seeing David Gilmour on his last solo tour. He played all of his new album in the first half of his shows. Before playing Floyd material in the second half.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 13, 2009 01:56

Neil Young did the Greendale tour a couple years back... the whole album, plus a few from the Crazy Horse archives in the end.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:08

The Allman Brothers did a superb version of "Eat A Peach" live in the studio in its entirety for the XM Radio "Then Again Live" series just a few years back. I got a good recording of it and listen to it often. Warren and Derek are amazing!

I think The Stones best shot would be "Let It Bleed" since they have done most of that album fairly recently. I would kill to hear them have a go at Exile in its entirety, but I'm sure it would be a letdown with this lineup. I don't see how it could work without MT or Nicky Hopkins.

Ross

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:36

Jagger DID IT at Webster Hall one of his better show ever...

Date: March 13, 2009 02:48

Shezeboss
Jagger DID IT at Webster Hall one of his better show ever...

No he didn't do an entire album; he left off 3 songs of Wandering Spirit
Keith Richards on the other hand, did the entire Talk Is Cheep album on his great 1988 tour.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:54

YES, HE ALMOST DID IT if you prefer : 11 songs from W.S Not enough for you ?

Date: March 13, 2009 02:56

Shezeboss
YES, HE ALMOST DID IT if you prefer : 11 songs from W.S Not enough for you ?

Nope

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:59

Saw Jethro Tull in 1973 right before the release of A Passion Play, and they performed the entire album to start the show, followed by a generous segment of Thick as a Brick, and then the highlights from Aqualung, Benefit, etc.

One of the best shows I ever attended.

The Stones performing, say, Let it Bleed as a complete work will never happen, but dang that would be a great show, wouldn't it!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 13, 2009 03:06

...undercover---dirty work---steel wheels---emotional rescue---any one of these in their entirety would be manna from heaven for me....one question: who would play all the great guitar parts?? (heh heh heh)...smirk...chuck can only play so much at one time...oh yea, forgot about blondie and pierre....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 13, 2009 03:47

The Mael brothers are once again ahead of the pack.

Last year Sparks performed all 21 of their albums in a series of shows in London.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 04:00

electricmud
Bowie did it in Berlin some years ago (Reality-Tour?) and played the complete LOW-Album as a middle-part of the concert. The whole concert was nearly 3 hours. Unbelievable, never forget it. He was soooo good.

He also did this in New York where he played all of Heathen, then took a break and came out and did all of Low, then an encore of a lot of other songs. Some so so audience boots from this show.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home