Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians: Perspex Island
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 18, 2009 00:21

I revisited this CD today, and it's an enjoyable listen. Of course, I like the bassplaying, but this guy is very eccentric and I sometimes have some difficulty in sussing out his lyrics.

"Birds in Perspex" : I did find some clever humor in that track -- "I take off my clothes for you, but I'm not naked underneath. I was born with trousers on..."

I get the impression that he's an observer to his own life, and looking at it as the third person having the experiences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 17:48 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians: Perspect Island
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 18, 2009 00:29

Great CD. Also has "Railway Shoes" "Yip Song" "Wafflehead" I think.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 18, 2009 01:07

Check out "Invisible History" if you can find it. "I Often Dream of Trains" is cool as well.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 18, 2009 02:10

I have just started getting into RH. I like Ole Tarantula and the new one, Goodnight Oslo. Am digging my way into the back catalog now. Luminous Groove (box set) awaits me at the library.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts on Robyn. I looooove Underwater Moonlight by the Soft Boys. That's a great record.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 18, 2009 02:22

I have personal recollections of him and The Soft Boys - their early gigs. Not a shy man of low self-esteem!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-18 02:40 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 18, 2009 02:33

Echoes of Syd Barrett, sometimes consciously I think. The Soft Boys were fantastic live and on record esp. Underwater Moonlight. Saw their last gig in '78 I think & then their 2001 reunion tour which was almost as good as first time around. Love his first solo album esp. Acid Bird but he started getting erratic after that IMO. Some real gems though. Check out the doc called 'Sex, Food, Death...& Insects' too.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 18, 2009 03:37

I saw one of the recent Often Dreams of Train shows here in the USA. It was not bad overall, but he can be too chatty between songs. Seen him maybe 6 times in last 20 years.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 18, 2009 11:05

love Robyn Hitchcock - did you see his recent cameo,
in the excellent movie "Rachel Getting Married" ?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 20, 2009 04:42

>Great CD. Also has "Railway Shoes" "Yip Song" "Wafflehead" I think.

Those songs are on RESPECT, not PERSPEX ISLAND.

YepRoc had a big sale a few weeks back and I got a bunch of RH cds for $5 apiece! Lovely stuff.

>did you see his recent cameo, in the excellent movie "Rachel Getting Married" ?

Yep, Demme also directed the great RH performance film STOREFRONT HITCHCOCK. RH had a small role in his remake of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE as well.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:11

One of my all time favourite artists (with the Soft Boys too). Well respected in the music world (REM etc) but not very well known generally. I tend to put him in the same category as The Jazz Butcher and Paul Roland, All three have strong cult followings and write very quirky songs with a strong English motif. Recently sold a Paul Roland CD to Italy for £58 on ebay!

My favourite Robyn Hitchcock album is probably Jewels For Sofia

Andy

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 20, 2009 20:41

I have a few Robyn Hitchcock promos from YepRoc Records to give away...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home