Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
1989-2009: Which Stones' Albums Do You Revisit?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 8, 2009 21:29

Honestly, I find myself sometimes revisiting "Voodoo Lounge" or "Shine A Light", but I seldom if ever listen to "Steel Wheels" or "Bridges to Babylon". For the "modern era", my fave is still the 2006 Saitama show, followed by a combination of "Stripped/Stripped Companion" tracks.

Re: 1989-2009: Which Stones' Albums Do You Revisit?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 8, 2009 21:37

Bang, Stripped but more so the B-sides and Bridges.

Voodoo every now and then but it's a bit lumbersome compared to Bridges.

Steel Wheels almost never.

Live albums - Shine A Light I've listened to maybe 10 times and I'll probably never listen to it again.

Flashpoint maybe once a year. Start Me Up is fantastic, Sad Sad Sad is pretty good and the rest of it blows.

No Security and disc 2 of Live Licks, those two are pretty good, they get played the most.

Rarities - I've got Lonely Nights on my media player version of Goats Head Soup and I've got Let It Rock on my live faves playlist.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 8, 2009 21:39

which I play the most? well, since Training Wheels release it's Steel Wheels probably... Today I'm gonna rip my Babylon CD on computer, it's been missing since I reinstalled my system... ABB's cool... erm, no. now I know:

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 8, 2009 21:53

None of them with any regularity. I have 'that's how strong my love is' from live licks and 'she was hot' from shine a light on a couple of ipod playlists but that's about it. of all their studio albums i still listen to exile and beggars. very regularly.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 8, 2009 22:33

I cannot even remember the last time that I played an entire official Stones album.

Instead, I have a seven mini-disc compilation from all of the Stones' official output (including the live stuff) which I listen to fairly regularly. Spread over their entire career, it is nevertheless, biased towards Aftermath, UK Out Of Our Heads, Ya-Yas, Exile, GHS, Tattoo You and VL.

A great way of getting a top-quality regular fix.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 8, 2009 22:42

Steel Wheels B plus because I've heard the bootlegged orig mixes)
Flashpoint C plus (best Highwire, Sexdrive, Factory Girl)
Voodoo A minus
Stripped A minus (w/ singles etc)
Bridges to Babylon A minus
No Security B plus
Four Licks B or B plus
Live Licks B minus
ABB B plus
Shine a Light A minus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-09 00:43 by john r.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 8, 2009 23:54

b2b

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 8, 2009 23:57

Just pulled out Voodoo, gonna give it a listen this week.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: March 9, 2009 00:27

Must have been years. Listen regulary to all from Let it Bleed/Beggers B till Tatoo You, Undercover now and than, Dirty Work hardly.
Is years since I have listened to all from SW and on, except for Bigger Bang which I like except for say five 'filler ups'

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 9, 2009 00:45

The only one i would listen to from start to finish is Bridges,great album.The others i would dip into a couple of tracks but that's it

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 9, 2009 00:49

Steel Wheels, and Stripped, mostly.

B2B every blue moon.

Voodoo Lounge less frequently.

ABB a great deal the first two months or so, and not really at all since.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 9, 2009 14:20

Since this is the era when I really discovered the Stones, it's the albums I have probably listened to the most overall, even still to this day. However, I hardly ever listen to Bridges or No Security anymore, but everything else quite a bit: Steel Wheels, the London Years, Flashpoint, Voodoo Lounge (of course! LOL), Stripped, Licks disc 2, Live Licks, A Bigger Bang, Rarities, Shine A Light, and allllllllll the CD singles for the b-sides.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 9, 2009 16:51

hardly ever play any of them. tried to get thru abb a couple of weeks ago...had a handful of discs while cruising down the highway. coulnd't make it thru but a couple of the songs. it's even worse than i remembered it.

i'll get my stones fixes from the golden era if i need one.

Date: March 9, 2009 18:39

I find that they all have grown better with time and attention. VL & B2B sound way better now imo, the 4 Licks ditto but perhaps because they felt so bleh back in 2002. ABB leaves me ambivilant - I like the band's vitality, performances, & stripped down approach but there are no really killer songs a la 'Saint of Me 'Thru & Thru', etc (maybe 'BOMH', 'Place is Empty' 'Under the Radar', and 'Won't Be Long') - and the rather airless sound of the thing is off putting...slightly harsh.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 9, 2009 18:51

Since I only play Stones (and the rest of my music collection) in chronological order, I revisit them every time I get to them in sequence. That being said, I still rank VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON among my favorite Stones discs and rank MAIN OFFENDER and WANDERING SPIRIT as their equals among solo work from that era.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: March 9, 2009 18:55

10 songs out B2B

Date: March 9, 2009 18:56

Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels, Flashpoint and Stripped.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 9, 2009 19:28

Steel Wheels, i can't take it off...Sounds better every time i play it..
Bridges & Stripped a few times..I like Bridges far more than vl.

I play live licks a lot in the car..
I never play vl...
So right now STEEL Wheels is my fav!!!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 9, 2009 19:30

A Bigger Bang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-09 22:28 by harlito1969.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: March 9, 2009 19:38

Can never understand why many people dislike Steel Wheels so much. Continental Drift, Rock and a Hard Place, Almost Hear You Sigh etc You can't tell me these are rubbish songs surely???

John Nicholls

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 9, 2009 19:42

john nicholls
Can never understand why many people dislike Steel Wheels so much. Continental Drift, Rock and a Hard Place, Almost Hear You Sigh etc You can't tell me these are rubbish songs surely???

i can tell u at least one of them is - and i can tell u several others you didn't mention are, too. and i'm not even british...

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: March 9, 2009 20:07

I constantly have all Stones cd's in my car. Very hard to choose which I like best in this period. You have to have at least a 6 cd player in your car as well as Sattelie Radio!!

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: March 9, 2009 21:02

all of them

Date: March 9, 2009 23:26

re Steel Wheels - problem is the original digital sound, or the way it turned to mush after the early mixes that sound so hot hot hot...Plus not as substantial (2 or 3 exceptions) as Dirty Work (real anger etc) or most of their work. Good solid rock album, but not great for the Stones til C. Drift & Slipping Away...

Date: March 10, 2009 01:40

One must admit that playing an artist's work in chronological order suits one's sense of obsessive compulsiveness....But after many years wanting to hear say "Undercover" or whatever meant an onerous (yet pleasurable too) block of time - 2 weeks?-- hearing each of the previous 20 or so albums before I gave myself permission...."Jeez can I skip 'Got Live' this week? Will God notice?..." Then I left my childlike belief in a higher Observer/Critic/Consciousness for good. "Starting over with Tambourine Man bound me to my past / o but I was so much older then, I'll play 'Younger Than Yesterday' now..."

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:54

Stripped
No Security
Live Licks
A Bigger Bang
Shine A Light

And a couple songs here and there from the other ones.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-10 01:55 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 10, 2009 02:27

Wandering Spirit
Voodoo Lounge
No Security
Live Licks Disc 2

Honestly, I pay more attention to DVDs of those two decades more than audio though.

1968-1981... now that's a whole other ball o' wax!
smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 10, 2009 02:46

Each studio record contains at least a couple of songs worth revisiting, but as albums I only listen to Bridges, which gets a spin quite regularly. A couple of mis-fires, but overall it's a great record imo.

I never listen to the official live releases from the last two decades.

Posted by: Andystartmeup ()
Date: March 10, 2009 04:01

Voodoo Lounge.I revisit it because to me it's the 90's version of Exile On Main Street,and that album was really great.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 10, 2009 04:11

Just played VL in its entirety for the first time in over 10 years.

Now I know why I waited so long to play it. There's enough material to make a good 4 song EP.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home