Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SAL (new or old?)
Posted by: Voja ()
Date: March 9, 2009 01:05

Fact > I like SAL!
> I read everything about in IORR. (some boring, some not)
> till tonite I didn’t know this about SAL :
> Rolling Stones cenzored some parts in SFD & SG (bolding text) :
Sympathy For The Devil
Please allow me to introduce myself
Im a man of wealth and taste
Ive been around for a long, long year
Stole many a mans soul and faith

And I was round when jesus christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

I stuck around st. petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a generals rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made

I shouted out,
Who killed the Kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me

Let me please introduce myself
Im a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached bombay

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me lucifer
Cause Im in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, um yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, um mean it, get down
Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down

Tell me baby, what's my name
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name
Tell me baby, what's my name
I tell you one time, you're to blame

Oh, yeah
What's me name
Tell me, baby, what's my name
Tell me, sweetie, what's my name

Some Girls
Some girls give me money
Some girls buy me clothes
Some girls give me jewelry
That I never thought I own

Some girls give me diamonds
Some girls, heart attacks
Some girls I give all my bread to
I don’t ever wont it back

Some girls give me jewelry
Others bye me clothes
Some girls give me children
I never asked them for

So give me all you’re money
Give me all you’re gold
I’ll bye you a house back in Zuma beach
And give you half of what I own

Some girls take my money
Some girls take my clothes
Some girls get the shirt off my back
And leave me whit a lethal dose

French girls they want Cartier
Italian girls want cars
American girls want everything in the world
You can possibly imagine

English girls they’re so prissy
I can’t stand them on the telephone
Sometimes I take the receiver off the hook
I don’t want them to ever call at all

White girls they’re pretty funny
Sometimes they drive me mad
Black girls just wanna get @#$%& all night
I just don’t have that much jam

Chinese girls are so gentle
They’re really such a tease
You never know what they’re cockin’
Inside those silky sleeves

Give me all you’re money
Give me all you’re gold
I’ll bye you a house back in Zuma beach
And give you half of what I own

Some girls they’re so pure
Some girls so corrupt
Some girls give me children
I only made love to her once

Give me half your money
Give me half your car
Give me half of everything
I’ll make you world’s biggest star

So gimme all your money
Give me all your gold
Let’s go back to Zuma beach
I’ll give you half of everything I own
Here is part from interview with M. Scorcese about, from Rolling Stone apr. 17. 2008. :
Peter Travers:
Does the fact that the concert was a benefit explain the cuts in some lyrics? No one asks, "Who killed the Kennedys?" in "Sympathy for the Devil," and in "Some Girls," Jagger never sings, "Black girls just wanna get @#$%& all night/I just don't have that much jam."
Martin Scorsese:
That was the band's decision, that's the way they played it, and I didn't mention anything about it. We did have the four-letter word that starts with an "f."
Peter Travers:
How many "@#$%&" were you allowed for the rating?
Martin Scorsese:
We're allowed two. Buddy Motherfucking Guy had the "Motherfucking" taken out. We tried to plead the case that it's part of what he's called. We didn't win that one, so we put a drumbeat in there.
Journalis didn’t ask about Kennedy’s part.
My question is :
Is this dicussed already on IORR and why The Rolling Stones censored theirselfs?

Re: SAL (new or old?)
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 9, 2009 03:40

Yeah. And the correct response to your question is NOBODY KNOWS and at this point nobody cares and it doesn't matter.

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: March 9, 2009 03:59

As I understand well ''everything is relative''. O.K. Similar principle > any answer is better then no answer.

Date: March 9, 2009 05:07

Eh, see, you could have left out what was IN the songs and put in what only was left out. It was discussed a good bit and got really old. It came down to guessing that Mick is just censoring himself and possibly some...pressure to keep it PG13 or whatever that lame shit is.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 9, 2009 08:49

he's omitted the "Kennedys" bit in Sympathy quite frequently throughout the decades, so that's nothing special.

as for the Some Girls line ... maybe suggesting that he doesn't have that much jam isn't as funny now as it used to be :E

the really interesting change (to me) in Some Girls in the film is "Some girls I give all my love to - I don't ever get it back"
tres poignant!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 13, 2009 11:02

Talking about SAL and Sympathy for the devil: By chance my MP3 player hit this version of
the song today (randomly) and I found myself getting into the groove during the jam at the
end of the song. No one can deny that it is a very danceable version of the song and it is very
hard to stand still during this jam.

I know people are disappointed by this version of the song, but don't tell me you don't
start clapping your hands and moving your feet if you hear it again. It says something
about the greatness of the band that this version is considered to be one of their weakest
efforts. I know, ... but I like it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 13, 2009 14:27

with sssoul
as for the Some Girls line ... maybe suggesting that he doesn't have that much jam isn't as funny now as it used to be :E

That'd be a great Viarga ad.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2009 14:52

Reading the lyrics again of Sympathy....
I wonder if Mick and Keith are capable (or want) to write in this vein again..it just seemed quite a departure at the time for them.

Date: March 13, 2009 20:25

Actually, no, I don't find myself clapping or moving my feet - I find myself not playing it.

It's difficult to listen to some things by some bands when they just go through the motions. It's the same reason good sports teams get their asses handed to them here and there - they just show up.

When I saw the Stones in 1989 they were really into it. When I saw them in 1994 - twice - the first show (East Lansing, MI) was good, the second show (New Orleans, LA) was rather tepid and it seemed like they were just going through the motions (the bootleg attests to that). I know bands get into ruts of having to do something because it's booked and they'd rather, I dunno, just stay home but it seems to me that no matter how bored or disinterested it is/can be at least while you're actually on stage actually be on stage and PLAY.

That's what I've gotten from all the people here talking about the Bang shows - that they just showed up. Saying they did it for the money is not off track I think.

So when they put this album out it was bound to have something interesting (Faraway Eyes, Some Girls, Shattered) as well as something bizarre (As Tears Go By, Loving Cup, Champagne And Reefer, Connection) and then the usual 'Ah well, we're here, might as well get it over with' renditions of songs (She Was Hot, All Down The Line, all of disc 2).

That's just my own view of it. I know other people love it. I don't hate it I just don't think it's fantastic or great, especially when held up to all but one of the previous live albums.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 13, 2009 23:42

I really enjoyed SAL. I wish they would've done the acoustic set and released more of the rehearsals.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 14, 2009 01:04

FINALLY! A SAL thread on IORR! And I already thought, hell, did nobody take notice of this movie, CD and DVD release?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 14, 2009 01:45

skipstone
Actually, no, I don't find myself clapping or moving my feet - I find myself not playing it.

It's difficult to listen to some things by some bands when they just go through the motions. It's the same reason good sports teams get their asses handed to them here and there - they just show up.

When I saw the Stones in 1989 they were really into it. When I saw them in 1994 - twice - the first show (East Lansing, MI) was good, the second show (New Orleans, LA) was rather tepid and it seemed like they were just going through the motions (the bootleg attests to that). I know bands get into ruts of having to do something because it's booked and they'd rather, I dunno, just stay home but it seems to me that no matter how bored or disinterested it is/can be at least while you're actually on stage actually be on stage and PLAY.

That's what I've gotten from all the people here talking about the Bang shows - that they just showed up. Saying they did it for the money is not off track I think.

So when they put this album out it was bound to have something interesting (Faraway Eyes, Some Girls, Shattered) as well as something bizarre (As Tears Go By, Loving Cup, Champagne And Reefer, Connection) and then the usual 'Ah well, we're here, might as well get it over with' renditions of songs (She Was Hot, All Down The Line, all of disc 2).

That's just my own view of it. I know other people love it. I don't hate it I just don't think it's fantastic or great, especially when held up to all but one of the previous live albums.
"That´s what I´ve gotten from all the people here talking about the Bang shows -
that they just showed up."

Because of that the Bang tour was voted "best ever tour" in last year´s
iorr poll by those people strangely enough ?

Date: March 14, 2009 03:13

Best ever tour? I find that hard to believe. Maybe because it was fresh. People here that did see multiple shows or at shows that were heralded whatever they were aren't lying just to badmouth the Stones - they're just telling the truth. There's nothing to gain by it.

And polls aren't accurate anyway. Look at any US newspaper poll - they always state that Americans say this or that by polling 500 people or whatever and that speaks for EVERYONE? Polls are like politicians.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 14, 2009 03:27

skipstone
Best ever tour? I find that hard to believe. Maybe because it was fresh. People here that did see multiple shows or at shows that were heralded whatever they were aren't lying just to badmouth the Stones - they're just telling the truth. There's nothing to gain by it.

And polls aren't accurate anyway. Look at any US newspaper poll - they always state that Americans say this or that by polling 500 people or whatever and that speaks for EVERYONE? Polls are like politicians.

Didn´t say it got my vote although I enjoyed the show...
And you could be right with that "freshness" thought.That might have played a role.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 16, 2009 14:42

Skipstone

Well, start doing yourself some favour then!

(kidding)

Ok, I can understand some critical notes towards the Shine A Light products. Compared to
other shows they've given over the decades, these shows might not have been the absolute
highlight of their career. But even if they were just "going through the motions", like you state,
I must confess that they were still able to get me rocking. That's what my post
was all about.

Forget about history, forget about the future. We are living now!

Date: March 16, 2009 17:08

There's not really anything on Shine A Light that is very good in terms of telling a friend Hey you really gotta get this record. As far as live Stones that's more of a Ya-Ya's or No Security or some bootlegs. The biggest highlight of the record is Faraway Eyes.

And so what. It was fun when it came out. And it was great in the movie theatre. It's just that repeated listenings isn't what it seems to be about, it was more of the moment in the theatre.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home