Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New U2 album "No Line On The Horizon"
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 4, 2009 01:00

I've just given the new U2 album its first go in my cd player, and I am really excited. I'm really surprised some have knocked it already.

The only explanation I can come to is this music is an evolved U2, not the raw post-punk band of the early eigties, not the soundscape innovators of the Unforgettable Fire, not the anthem band of the Joshua Tree, and not the media masters of their nineties records, but a very talented group of artists making a new record. Sometimes I think that's hard for rock and roll fans to understand. If it doesn't knock your socks off right away, it might be a little deeper than that. This album is definitely an intense record. It's a smart record. U2 is not like Led Zeppelin or the Beatles or the Stones. They are not a collection of phenomenal performers, rhythm/groove/riff geniuses, or whatever. U2 is a band with a great, egotistical singer and an innovative sound that has evolved over a period of 30 years. They may not be your thing, but man, this album is gonna be a blast. To call it "crap" or whatever, or to say it is fluff, or to say it tries to sound like earlier albums is flat out wrong, and totally naive.

The only U2 album that knocked my socks off right when I bought it was the Joshua Tree, because its songs are just so in the moment and in your face. All three of the next studio albums they released after that took time for me to appreciate, but in time, I totally loved them. As I've said before, 'Pop' is among my all time favorite rock and roll albums.

This new album has some great songs, and it has some that intrigue me but haven't grabbed me yet. I'm not sure if they will. But I can say one thing: None are fluff, filler, crap, or whatever descriptives have been used on this site. It is a complex album!! The Stones don't do that kind of music. I absolutely love what the Stones do, and they've done some fantastic funk, country, blues, even middle-eastern tinged, etc., music, and they've created some complex rhythms, but their art is more in your face, immediately delicious kind of rock and roll. U2's music is absolutely an acquired taste.

'No Line On The Horizon' is going to be an adventure. That's what I love about this band. I'm going to put it on again right now. And then, I'm going to dig out 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and 'How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,' because those have grown on me over the years.

Many folks don't care for U2, like I don't care for asparagus. I'll never like asparagus, no matter how often I try to force it down. But I'm not going to tell you it sucks, because I know people who love the stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-04 08:41 by bv.

Re: This Stones fan gives 'No Line' a thumbs-up.
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 4, 2009 01:06

i love asparagus

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 4, 2009 01:12

T&A
i love asparagus

Got some fresh asparagus on the menu for tonight.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 4, 2009 03:01

I love fresh broccoli.Steamed.

Date: March 4, 2009 03:52

I love lamp.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 4, 2009 04:26

I love asparagus too,the whites better than the greens.White asparagus are white because they are not exposed to light; they don't develop chlorophyl which makes them taste a little bitter compare to the green ones. Asparagus need to grow in a soil with a high % of sand. I watch U2 on youtube playing live in England on a TV show where the host looks like Oscar Wilde. They played a song call "Breathe" that I didn't care for. Then they played "Put on your boots" which was better. Those songs didn't sound different from what U2 did a couple of years ago. But I need to listen to the new cd.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: March 4, 2009 05:19

I lost interest in U2 after their first three studio albums way back in the 80's.But I still like asparagus - had some on the weekend. You just need the good fresh stuff in the right dish, then you'd like. Don't give up on asparagus yet! U2 may change, but asparagus is forever.

Re: OT: New U2 album "No Line On The Horizon"
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 4, 2009 09:57

Just listened to it, my mate bought it. BORING!!! not as good as Bigger Bang.

Stick that in your fuse box!!!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 4, 2009 10:00

Thanx Tate for your review - I haven't heard the record yet, but I like your review.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 4, 2009 10:51

"Just listened to it, my mate bought it. BORING!!! not as good as Bigger Bang"

Oh, please......

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 4, 2009 10:58

J.J.Flash
I love fresh broccoli.Steamed.

very good for you.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 4, 2009 11:10

I really love aspargus too.
Steamed broccoli and carots are something I also like.

And to be complete, despite the fact I'm french, I'm allergic to snails.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: March 4, 2009 11:40

Here is the link to their rooftop gig on top of the BBC's Broadcasting House in Regent Street, London which took place last friday -

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Not sure if it will work if you are overseas though......?

Anyway, at the end of the 20 minute gig (4 songs - Magnificent, Get On Your Boots, Vertigo and Beautiful Day) thanks were given to the BBC, the Metropolitan Police and everyone was told to disperse in an orderly fashion......Rock 'n' Roll for the sanitised 21st Century.

John, Paul, George & Ringo didn't have 'permission' or invite the police to their rooftop appearance 40 years ago......how times have changed!

Date: March 4, 2009 11:51

Doc
I really love aspargus too.
Steamed broccoli and carots are something I also like.

And to be complete, despite the fact I'm french, I'm allergic to snails.

I've never been keen on snails, myself, too chewy for my taste.

Steak Tartare, is another favourite, of all my French friends, i dislike.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 4, 2009 13:34

Infact, not as good as bigger bang, Bridges to Babylon or Voodoo lounge.

Listening to it was like listening to paint dry, no really distinguishing moments, except for the single the whole record seemed to blur into one undeciferable mush, not just me but my mate thought so too, and he's more of a U2 fan than me.

But, freedom of choice brothers and sisters. go your own way. Just glad it was my buddy who parted money for it rather than me!!!!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 4, 2009 14:16

My post was re-titled! I guess the original, "This Stones fan gives 'No Line' a thumbs-up" was misleading, as in, this is reall an OT about U2, and not all that Stones-related, but it was, in fact, another attempt at addressing the whole "comparison" and "relevance" issues...

It is interesting to have a look into the vegetable-eating habits of this board's users. Perhaps the thread should be titled something along those lines.

Bigger Bang is not a great album, imo, much weaker of an album than the previous two Stones studio attempts... Since we're really not getting the whole apples and oranges thing, I can say with honesty that all of the past three most recent U2 albums sound much tighter (to me!!) and far more, well, interesting than all Stones releases since 1983. But that's just me!!! Freedom of choice indeed. The band-bashing is childish!!

Now I'd LOVE it if the Stones would blow me away with their best new record in years... I'm ready for a new Rolling Stones album to get excited about.

Date: March 4, 2009 14:18

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 4, 2009 14:22

Its shit like everything else they've done since half of TJT

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 4, 2009 14:25

All credit to U2 for having the ambition to experiment with new styles and ideas when they could so easily have sold zillions by churning out Vertigo Vol 2.

Not that it always works, mind.

The first five tracks are indeed superb, after which, the album starts to meander away from it's sub-plot to areas in which they don't sound particularly comfortable; especially Bono, who at times tries to cram far too many words into too few syllables.

Still, when was the last time that the Stones attempted ANYTHING even remotely ambitious?

...Shattered?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 4, 2009 14:32

I love asparagus too! But doesn't it make your pee smell funny next day?

Date: March 4, 2009 14:34

"Still, when was the last time that the Stones attempted ANYTHING even remotely ambitious?"

Absolutely! Perhaps thats why everyone gets so irate......

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 4, 2009 14:43

Hey ablett, this one's just for you...

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: March 4, 2009 14:46

exhpart

not as bad as snails does.

Date: March 4, 2009 14:51

See Barnie, yer just a big softie at heart!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 4, 2009 14:55

Adrian-L
exhpart

not as bad as snails does.

I can't tell.
Didn't eat snals for 20 years, so I don't remember...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 4, 2009 15:55

Undercover is the last ambitious Stones album.

Date: March 4, 2009 16:04

Doc
I can't tell.
Didn't eat snals for 20 years, so I don't remember...

count yourself lucky.

Posted by: ray gay ()
Date: March 4, 2009 16:05

new album from u2? jumped off after boy.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 4, 2009 16:10

How about some love for snow peas?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: March 4, 2009 16:13

Fruit in general is A-OK, but asparagus is particularly great and really tasty. Thumbs up!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1425
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home