Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

how does your country recognize stones?
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 22, 2009 04:32

I found today that there was a photograph of the Stones in the textbook of my son's music class.
They are described as symbol of rock music.
(This textbook is for the public junior high school students and free of charge.)
Such tempter had not existed in the text in my school days.

Are there descriptions of the Rolling Stones in the school text of your country?
What subject? Music, history or social science?

Re: how does your country recognize stones?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2009 05:37

Can't say...Spent most of my time in the principal's office .... Never got around ta opening the books...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 22, 2009 05:54

Here in America Toru-san they were barely mentioned in a documentary about Rock and Roll that was hosted by Jeff Bridges (The Dude, no less) in the 1980s. Since then, it seems they are made fun of whenever they announce another tour. More often than not, it seems they are looked upon as geriatric rock and rollers. At least that is how percieve it.

Toru-san, Rolling Stones ha Nihon deha, sonkei saretemasu yo! America de, sonkei saretemasen!

Posted by: squando ()
Date: February 22, 2009 06:23

"how does your country recognize stones?"

We keep a big lookout for a set of big lips, a couple of chain smoking skeletons and a guy that looks so bored he'd rather be asleep.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 22, 2009 07:28

There was a gala spectacle/concert hosted by the former President of the USA and his wife/ senator/ future secretary of state filmed by a major Hollywood director. In this country it's mostly low-key...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 22, 2009 07:34

ChrisM
Here in America Toru-san they were barely mentioned in a documentary about Rock and Roll that was hosted by Jeff Bridges (The Dude, no less) in the 1980s. Since then, it seems they are made fun of whenever they announce another tour. More often than not, it seems they are looked upon as geriatric rock and rollers. At least that is how percieve it.

Toru-san, Rolling Stones ha Nihon deha, sonkei saretemasu yo! America de, sonkei saretemasen!
It's typical of a large ignorant segment of America, all dumbed down
and minimal appreciation for anything of value.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 22, 2009 19:27

"it seems they are made fun of whenever they announce another tour"

Sad boomerang effect cos imho the "going Las Vegas" trend in recent tours (no rare songs, 18 side people on stage, everything made to appeal to Joe the Plumber, in short a certain musical VULGARITY) is what made the Stones music less attractive to me.

They should have stuck to the 81-82 formula... raw and fast.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 22, 2009 19:35

America recognizes the Rolling Stones by spending millions of dollars to see them perform...and to allow some of them brief vacations in hamlets like Bakersfield, California.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 22, 2009 19:39

ChrisM

I cant think of too many musical acts whose tour announcements always seem to garner live rolling news coverage. NO ONE does a media event like the Stones do.

To be honest, I think the 'wrinkly rockers' jibe has diminished over the years. Partly because after 20-25 years of it, the joke has worn thin and most people rather than being amazed that they're still able to walk let alone perform have now pretty much accepted that they're going to stay around until the drop. The ironic thing is that when you look back at some of the old news clips of the press' reaction to the Stones going on the road in '89, '94, '97 etc - the people who were making the jibes have themselves often faded into obscurity and been replaced by others making the same tired jokes. The Stones by contrast have outlasted them all.

Also because rock n roll has been around now for long enough that its not really that big a deal anymore that someone in their 60's is still performing.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 22, 2009 21:46

stonesrule
America recognizes the Rolling Stones by spending millions of dollars to see them perform...and to allow some of them brief vacations in hamlets like Bakersfield, California.

Well, I can say one thing about Bakersfield, they have a decent Chinese Buffet restaurant just off the 99. (I am assuming it's still there.)

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 23, 2009 03:34

dcba
"it seems they are made fun of whenever they announce another tour"

Sad boomerang effect cos imho the "going Las Vegas" trend in recent tours (no rare songs, 18 side people on stage, everything made to appeal to Joe the Plumber, in short a certain musical VULGARITY) is what made the Stones music less attractive to me.

They should have stuck to the 81-82 formula... raw and fast.

Don't know why your on this board with comments like that???

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 23, 2009 04:08

Chinese buffet noted as worthwhile!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 23, 2009 04:32

ChrisM

They were not socially accepted here in Japan, too.
They were expected to procreate the bad boy pandemic to the country.
But things might have changed. Both Beatles and Stones are in the school textbook.
That may be because:
we can't hear and understand their lyrics at all;
people realised the rock music has brought cultural values to us; and,
we have confucian ethic for geriatric rocker.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 23, 2009 06:34

ChrisM

I think that every time they go out tour they recieve a mixed reaction here. there are a lot of jokes but also a lot of praise. except for the last leg of the ABB tour, I think that was the first time there was barely any mention of them at all. probalby becasue they just had just been here. I do remember an interesting news report on KGO TV during the 2005 bigger bang shows that was less than flattering. the reporter basically editoralized and said they were sell outs, now part of the estblishment they origionaly set out to a part from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-23 06:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 23, 2009 13:46

here in switzerland we have huge stones on all our postcards...

Date: February 28, 2009 02:21

Switzerland >

This marks the entry to a certain private medical clinic located between Nyon and Montreux.

winking smiley hahahaha!
No, this is public art in north west Switz.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 28, 2009 02:28

The Stones get hammered on in the press but I do believe in America that they are well respected musicians. I bleieve they get knocked down a little by the press because of the show biz bit but after all is said and done I think they are just a notch below Dylan and the Beatles by the press. number 1 in my book

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 28, 2009 12:31

[www.thisislocallondon.co.uk]

Rhythm and blues heritage could be on display at club

11:40am Saturday 7th February 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
By Chris Caulfield »

Members of Twickenham’s Eel Pie Club are hoping to unveil a permanent heritage site to the stars who have played at the famous venue.

The club has been working with the mayor of Richmond and the council on the Music Legends of Eel Pie Island project.

Executive founder member Gina Way said: “The club aims to preserve the heritage of the UK rhythm and blues that started in the south-west London area in the 1960s.

“Eel Pie Island in Twickenham and the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond were two very important venues.

“We conceived the idea of the Music Legends of Eel Pie Island heritage site to give recognition to the music that started in this area in the same way that Liverpool recognises The Beatles.”

The unveiling ceremony will take place at Twickenham Embankment on Friday, April 24, and the club will be inviting businesses and the public to sponsor bronze plaques containing the handprints of the superstar musicians who played on the island during their early careers.

The Richmond rhythm and blues scene played a major role in the development of some of the biggest acts in the 1960s, including the Rolling Stones, the Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Rod Stewart.

The Eel Pie Club was formed nine years ago to preserve the heritage of the music that started on Eel Pie Island in the 1950s and 1960s and is now a live music club, meeting fortnightly at The Patch, 67 London Road, Twickenham.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home